This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Gym leaders that were legit hard for you?

User Info: jw91

jw91
1 month ago#1
This assumes, of course, that you went in BLIND and did not use any sort of guide.

Another set of variables is the fact that all of us are of different ages and got into the franchise at different times, with or without Internet aid, so this list will never be "definitive" per se. Example: I played RB before I even saw the anime, so any info gleaned from the show was not available to me. I also generally didn't have access to the internet for these purposes until about Gen III.

For me it was mostly these...

Whitney: Her Miltank could REALLY wreck you if you weren't expecting it, and if it got to using Rollout, forget about it, you would die before you could blink unless you could hit her hard with a fighting-type move.

Brock (if you chose Charmander): Yes, he's mostly a pushover, but the solution to beating him is not immediately obvious to a total series beginner who chose Charmander, especially since many beginning players in Gen I could easily miss Mankey or not know that double-kick is a fighting-type move.

Misty (if you chose Charmander): Also a pushover, but in order to beat her with Charmander, you had to catch a grass type, of which you could pretty much pick between a freshly-caught (thus under-leveled) Oddish, Paras, or Bellsprout, which, even with type advantage, would've been under-leveled for the job. You had to grind them up.The fact that she could also confuse you was the cherry on top. I managed to beat her the first time in 1996 by stone-evolving my Nidorino after none of the weak grass types could hack it. Even with the ground-type weakness the stat boost was enough to get it done.

That's pretty much it for me really. In retrospect, the solutions were obvious. But hindsight's 20/20.

There's also stuff like Lenora's retaliate B.S., but I never lost to her or any other gym leaders.

User Info: Sivle15

Sivle15
1 month ago#2
That ghost gym leader on GSC was for me. I never level grind like i usually do, and his gengar keep putting me to sleep. I didnt have any psychic/ground moves on me for any Super Effective hirs either. And his gengar was much faster than most of my pokemon.
Fc:3411-6337-4017 IGN:Elvis TSV-3186 Discord sivle15#0207
https://tinyurl.com/Sivle15sPKMN my sheet

User Info: Legendary_Musas

Legendary_Musas
1 month ago#3
The only hard gym leader in the franchise imo is Clair in Johto. Her Kingdra was a nightmare, it had only one weakness during gen 2/4, and the only Dragon type Pokemon available before actually beating her was another Kingdra, which is impossible without trading. Plus water/dragon has amazing coverage, with nothing resisting it in GSC/HGSS.
Pokemon Ultra Sun Team: Incineroar, Starmie, Ampharos, Flygon, Hawlucha, Alolan Ninetails

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
1 month ago#4
jw91 posted...
This assumes, of course, that you went in BLIND and did not use any sort of guide.

Another set of variables is the fact that all of us are of different ages and got into the franchise at different times, with or without Internet aid, so this list will never be "definitive" per se. Example: I played RB before I even saw the anime, so any info gleaned from the show was not available to me. I also generally didn't have access to the internet for these purposes until about Gen III.

For me it was mostly these...

Whitney: Her Miltank could REALLY wreck you if you weren't expecting it, and if it got to using Rollout, forget about it, you would die before you could blink unless you could hit her hard with a fighting-type move.

Brock (if you chose Charmander): Yes, he's mostly a pushover, but the solution to beating him is not immediately obvious to a total series beginner who chose Charmander, especially since many beginning players in Gen I could easily miss Mankey or not know that double-kick is a fighting-type move.

Misty (if you chose Charmander): Also a pushover, but in order to beat her with Charmander, you had to catch a grass type, of which you could pretty much pick between a freshly-caught (thus under-leveled) Oddish, Paras, or Bellsprout, which, even with type advantage, would've been under-leveled for the job. You had to grind them up.The fact that she could also confuse you was the cherry on top. I managed to beat her the first time in 1996 by stone-evolving my Nidorino after none of the weak grass types could hack it. Even with the ground-type weakness the stat boost was enough to get it done.

That's pretty much it for me really. In retrospect, the solutions were obvious. But hindsight's 20/20.

There's also stuff like Lenora's retaliate B.S., but I never lost to her or any other gym leaders.

Misty is no pushover. Starmie has very high stats for that point in the game, only rivaled (or beaten?) Gardenia with her Roserade.
My FC: 5301 2862 3777
Send me Donkey Kong Country Challenges! More info at: https://www.facebook.com/Challenge-NeoArashi-1882592348727869/

User Info: ILikePotaters

ILikePotaters
1 month ago#5
Everyone in Kalos lol

But when u first played the game I didn't know that rock resisted flying so I would never send in my Armaldo against Winona.
Are ghost Pokemon dead Pokemon, or people, or....
3DS:0448-1807-1701. IGN is Bobert. Yes, I'm the clapped-looking guy. Random thing about Tyranitar.

Skull_pro
1 month ago#6
ILikePotaters posted...
Everyone in Kalos lol

But when u first played the game I didn't know that rock resisted flying so I would never send in my Armaldo against Winona.

Winona is from Hoenn, brah.
Send me Donkey Kong Country Challenges! More info at: https://www.facebook.com/Challenge-NeoArashi-1882592348727869/

User Info: Nintendoomed89

Nintendoomed89
1 month ago#7
https://i.imgtc.com/d0wYP65.png
Zapp Brannigan: What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
I play on Steam,Switch and 3DS.

Skull_pro
1 month ago#8
Withney: for the same reasons as everyone.

Morty: Having a level 25 Gengar this early in the game means it's very hard to outspeed it, and he has the nasty tendency to never miss with Hypnosis.

RSE Norman: He had two illegals Slakings. And even with Truant, that's still the equivalent of fighting two legendaries.

Platinum Camdice: I don't know why, but I remember having quite a bit of trouble with it.

And if they count:

Totem Lurantis. That thing killed me more times than I can count.

User Info: Sivle15

Sivle15
1 month ago#9
Why do people have trouble with whitney and her miltank? I didnt have much trouble on Crystal. Unless it was buffed out on HGSS. I just used Rocky(onix from trading bellsprout to that kid) and teached him rock smash. That and curse with my gastly did good damage to it.
Fc:3411-6337-4017 IGN:Elvis TSV-3186 Discord sivle15#0207
https://tinyurl.com/Sivle15sPKMN my sheet

User Info: Saintpara

Saintpara
1 month ago#10
Not a gym leader but Cynthia actually beat me twice in a row. I had enough items to heal myself up before fighting her but it actually got down to me spamming items on Infernape and hoping she missed so I could get an extra turn to revive another Pokemon. I don't even remember what went wrong but I do remember wiping twice to her.
3DS Friend Code - 4055-5631-2103 (Saint)
Heeeee Hooooo!!!!!
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Gym leaders that were legit hard for you?
  • Topic Archived