This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Is Ash Ketchum the worst trainer to exist?

User Info: Nkyaxs

Nkyaxs
3 months ago#21
Literally all you need to do in most battles in the anime is just say "Dodge" whenever your opponent does an attack. Your Pokemon will 99 times out of a 100 Dodge the move.

Boom, never get hit, win every match.
FC: 5344-0480-6295

User Info: Tai-Tai

Tai-Tai
3 months ago#22
Nkyaxs posted...
Literally all you need to do in most battles in the anime is just say "Dodge" whenever your opponent does an attack. Your Pokemon will 99 times out of a 100 Dodge the move.

Boom, never get hit, win every match.

Good, now get to the skill of feeding a pokemon the right diet depending on how much training and battles are done. Balance calories/protein and the like.

Teach your pokemon attacks, train them with said attacks to make sure they hit more, for when the OTHER trainer says dodge.

Have the perception to see when your opponent is attacking at high speeds.

Balance your pokemon team except non mathematically, where speed, endurance, stamina, heat tolerance, cold tolerance, wind tolerance, temperament, obedience, size, weight, flight,, swim skill and even if they have a nose or not (yes, that is a thing ash needed to consider before) all matter.

Be a decent enough f***ing person that your pokemon would want to obey you (Looking at you gamefaqs community)

Throw the pokeball and hit what you're aiming to hit.

Be fit enough to walk 8 hours a day, with only a 1 hour break for lunch.

Be strong enough as a last resort to fend pokemon off yourself so you don't get eaten when your party faints.

Don't f*** the pokemon, it is improper. (Looking at you gamefaqs community.)

Be skilled enough to get 8 badges, against professional trainers who will say dodge to most attacks you make, and do combos that are like right out of contests.
The price of equality is the possibility of being called a bigot.

User Info: Solar_Crimson

Solar_Crimson
3 months ago#23
cheatermaster posted...
Kind of wonder if eventually they'll end his journey for good? He's been around for too long. Like how about a totally brand new pokemon anime and a new character. Nothing against him cause I always like him (hell I always kind of wish he and Misty would start being in love and such). It's just I guess I wonder if it's time that his journey ends and we replace him with new original characters.

As far as I'm concerned, they had two chances to do this:
-The end of D/P
-The end of X/Y

Unova was somewhat like a new beginning, even with the games being a sort of soft reboot. In the anime, most of Ash's long-standing companions had their arcs concluded and they went on with their lives. It would have made sense for Ash too to finally accomplish his own goals and move on, starting BW with a new hero (who would probably still have to use a Pikachu, because of its mascot status).

Failing that, having Ash win the League in Kalos was also something that many believed would happen, especially with the setup he got. With the then-upcoming Sun/Moon showing to be radically different from past Pokemon games, it would have been a nice spot to finally have Ash win a regional league (one that matters, that is), and then shift focus to a new protagonist at the Pokemon School in Alola; it also makes more sense for this trainer to be in a Pokemon school than it would a seasoned trainer like Ash. Again, he would also have to have a Pikachu as his partner.

Funnily enough, both of those seasons had rather controversial losses for Ash (some random guy using Legendaries in Sinnoh; Alain's Mega Charizard X tanking everything thrown at it and then knocking out a fresh Ash-Greninja in only a few hits).
Be wary of boarding the hype train, lest you end up on the ruse cruise... - nanobuilder (r/nintendo)
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson

User Info: kompletionist

kompletionist
3 months ago#24
Oh and @yungstirjoey666 levels absolutely exist in the anime. I specifically remember one of the very early episodes had a character discussing that Pidgey (IIRC) learns a certain move at a certain level. I think it was at the Pokemon Academy in Viridian City.
3DS FC: 1564 3971 2596 IGN: Lilo
Token Aussie @ Prism Islands

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
3 months ago#25
Solar_Crimson posted...
cheatermaster posted...
Kind of wonder if eventually they'll end his journey for good? He's been around for too long. Like how about a totally brand new pokemon anime and a new character. Nothing against him cause I always like him (hell I always kind of wish he and Misty would start being in love and such). It's just I guess I wonder if it's time that his journey ends and we replace him with new original characters.

As far as I'm concerned, they had two chances to do this:
-The end of D/P
-The end of X/Y

Unova was somewhat like a new beginning, even with the games being a sort of soft reboot. In the anime, most of Ash's long-standing companions had their arcs concluded and they went on with their lives. It would have made sense for Ash too to finally accomplish his own goals and move on, starting BW with a new hero (who would probably still have to use a Pikachu, because of its mascot status).

Failing that, having Ash win the League in Kalos was also something that many believed would happen, especially with the setup he got. With the then-upcoming Sun/Moon showing to be radically different from past Pokemon games, it would have been a nice spot to finally have Ash win a regional league (one that matters, that is), and then shift focus to a new protagonist at the Pokemon School in Alola; it also makes more sense for this trainer to be in a Pokemon school than it would a seasoned trainer like Ash. Again, he would also have to have a Pikachu as his partner.

Funnily enough, both of those seasons had rather controversial losses for Ash (some random guy using Legendaries in Sinnoh; Alain's Mega Charizard X tanking everything thrown at it and then knocking out a fresh Ash-Greninja in only a few hits).

That is precisely what I was saying before. The whole discussion is kinda pointless because the way Ash is designed and scripted, especially since the end of Sinnoh. Eternally recycled, artifically set back in skill level/intelligence etc. He's hardly a proper "character" anymore. So you could probably click on all the answers to the poll or none of them depending on which point in the timeline you are. And yes... I too think the series should have rebooted other Sinnoh. It would have been a smooth end with a deserved title win at the end. From there they could have even split the whole thing. Ash's journey could have still continued, maybe to appeal more to the older audience while another could have picked up the usual trend.

Instead we got deus ex machina Tobias, Unova reset and all that followed.

As for comparing game and anime... Just don't. Enough people have pointed out why already. The mechanics are quite different to make a fair comparison between Red and Ash for example.
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

User Info: ChibiDragon

ChibiDragon
3 months ago#26
Ash is really a great trainer, but with two plot driven problems.

The first is that he starts out as a pretty clueless idiot. This is mostly so that the viewers can be along for the ride as he learns about the world and how it works. What's important, though, is that he DOES learn. Maybe not fast, but he keeps at it and eventually things do sink in. He's not the kind to give up, and he'll keep at it until he figures it out. Sadly, this means that when he finally has his s*** together, they need to reset him back to idiot. Still, he learns and improves, eventually surpassing those around him.

The second problem is that he's too kind hearted. Yes, he can be a bit of a jerk at times, but when push comes to shove, he's really a nice kid. He can't bring himself to be stern enough with his Pokemon, or ruthless enough against his opponents, to win. He'll never catch a Legendary, because they don't want to be caught and he'll accept that. If one of his own Pokemon decides it wants to go free, once Ash realizes this he'll let it go. Honestly, it's hard to call this a flaw, but it does mean his team is never going to have the force behind it that it should have.
Blessed be the wicked,
for at least they're managing to have some fun.

User Info: jw91

jw91
3 months ago#27
I used to think he was pretty bad, but he really isn't, especially seeing how he's still just 10 years old.

User Info: DiduXD

DiduXD
3 months ago#28
I'd rather not be in the anime. I don't want my Pokémon randomly deciding to drop one of their moves for a crappier move.
Forget what you've already won and focus on the current match. Main FC: 4313-5212-1176 IGN Matthew
If we all hold on together, our dreams will never die.

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
3 months ago#29
jw91 posted...
I used to think he was pretty bad, but he really isn't, especially seeing how he's still just 10 years old.

This is the part where you realize you should not take the anime seriously or try to discuss it (especially its main characters) seriously. A lot of it is just artifically writing that makes absolutely no realistic sense whatsoever.

I want some of that eternal youth potion. ;)
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

User Info: 6482902

3 months ago#30
kompletionist posted...
Oh and yungstirjoey666 levels absolutely exist in the anime. I specifically remember one of the very early episodes had a character discussing that Pidgey (IIRC) learns a certain move at a certain level. I think it was at the Pokemon Academy in Viridian City.

It was retconned. Otherwise Pikachu would beat the crap out of all trainers, particularly starting trainers like Shootie.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Is Ash Ketchum the worst trainer to exist?
  • Topic Archived