This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Is Ash Ketchum the worst trainer to exist?

User Info: yungstirjoey666

yungstirjoey666
1 month ago#1
Is Ash Ketchum the worst trainer to exist? - Results (142 votes)
Yeah, he's terrible
23.94% (34 votes)
Bad trainer, but we have worse
28.87% (41 votes)
Rather mediocre
20.42% (29 votes)
Pretty decent
12.68% (18 votes)
A great trainer
7.75% (11 votes)
The best trainer to exist
6.34% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'll agree that his personality has become so bland these days, and the anime has become very predictable, and has his own idiot moments (especially in Unova), but I believe that he's far from terrible. He made it to at least top 16 in every conference, made it as far as runner up in Kalos, won Orange and Kanto BF, and defeated three legendaries along the way.

Also considering how the anime works compared with the games. In the games the elite 4 and champion teams are mostly predictable, allowed to use items, and if all else fails, you can easily try again. Meanwhile in the anime you have to deal with not only the Elite 4 and Champion, but also many competing league trainers from varying skills, no items, and most likely an annual event.
I am the almighty dragon master. No justice shall underestimate my powers. Those who's worthy may unleash the defiant sword of all mankind.

User Info: kompletionist

kompletionist
1 month ago#2
The Fisherman with 6 Magikarp in RBY is the worst. He's even worse than Youngster Joey who at least had a Rattata in the top 10 percentile (apparently).
3DS FC: 1564 3971 2596 IGN: Lilo
Token Aussie @ Prism Islands

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
1 month ago#3
ITT the people who can't get past Battle Tree/Tower/Subway/whatever battle 15 because RIGGED RNG get ready to take shots at the guy who regularly places very highly in major regional tournaments, has held his own against the highest ranked trainers in the world, regularly endures encounters with the most powerful legendary Pokemon, and beat the Battle Frontier and turned down the role of Brain.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod

kompletionist
1 month ago#4
Lexifox posted...
ITT the people who can't get past Battle Tree/Tower/Subway/whatever battle 15 because RIGGED RNG get ready to take shots at the guy who regularly places very highly in major regional tournaments, has held his own against the highest ranked trainers in the world, regularly endures encounters with the most powerful legendary Pokemon, and beat the Battle Frontier and turned down the role of Brain.

Honestly though, we all managed to beat the Pokemon League when we were 6, whereas Ash somehow never did.
While he may endure against legendaries, he never defeated them in battle or captured them, which again we all did as tots.
The Battle Frontier was mostly just a grind, not particularly difficult and I don't know what a "Brain" is so I can't really comment there.

The point is, Ash is simply a stand-in for the player and we all managed to do better than he ever did when we were younger than his perpetually 10 year old self. Obviously he's far from the worst trainer ever, but since he represented the player he should have almost always performed better than he did.

yungstirjoey666
1 month ago#5
kompletionist posted...
Lexifox posted...

Honestly though, we all managed to beat the Pokemon League when we were 6, whereas Ash somehow never did.
While he may endure against legendaries, he never defeated them in battle or captured them, which again we all did as tots.
The Battle Frontier was mostly just a grind, not particularly difficult and I don't know what a "Brain" is so I can't really comment there.

The point is, Ash is simply a stand-in for the player and we all managed to do better than he ever did when we were younger than his perpetually 10 year old self. Obviously he's far from the worst trainer ever, but since he represented the player he should have almost always performed better than he did.

game works differently from the anime
I am the almighty dragon master. No justice shall underestimate my powers. Those who's worthy may unleash the defiant sword of all mankind.

kompletionist
1 month ago#6
yungstirjoey666 posted...

Yeah, but if anything the anime is even easier since you can blatantly cheat (hitting Ground Types with Electric attacks, using Thunder on your own Swellow to somehow make it invincible instead of dead, getting Gym Badges for making someone laugh etc.)

yungstirjoey666
1 month ago#7
kompletionist posted...
yungstirjoey666 posted...

Yeah, but if anything the anime is even easier since you can blatantly cheat (hitting Ground Types with Electric attacks, using Thunder on your own Swellow to somehow make it invincible instead of dead etc.)

there are dumb inaccuracies and logic, but if anything it's much harder in the anime

you have to think immediately with your battle moves, rely on more strategies and tactics rather than the usual ev/iv level grinding (levels do not exist in the anime, and in the games the stronger trainers never have a lv 100), a more complex pokemon league and other battles, bonding as an important factor, legendaries as more universally significant pokemon, and not to mention dodge it

if you were in the anime world, you would be struggling too
it's far from easy, and the inaccuracies only makes it harder

if you were mentioning how you were able to win the league at 6 year old, you have a huge advantage against the ai

there will be some plot conveniences in the anime, but it's usually more unintentional

kompletionist
1 month ago#8
I have always considered turn based battle systems to be abstractions of combat anyway, so I do understand what you're saying.
Obviously in games like XCOM for instance the aliens aren't just standing around staring at you while you meticulously move your units one by one behind them.
By the same logic, obviously in the Pokemon world the trainers aren't literally taking turns letting each other take their time and get free shots in, that's not how fighting works.

So I think of the battles as happening in real time, with you simply shouting specific moves at specific moments, like a boxer's trainer yelling advice from the corner.

User Info: cheatermaster

cheatermaster
1 month ago#9
Kind of wonder if eventually they'll end his journey for good? He's been around for too long. Like how about a totally brand new pokemon anime and a new character. Nothing against him cause I always like him (hell I always kind of wish he and Misty would start being in love and such). It's just I guess I wonder if it's time that his journey ends and we replace him with new original characters.

kompletionist
1 month ago#10
cheatermaster posted...
Kind of wonder if eventually they'll end his journey for good? He's been around for too long. Like how about a totally brand new pokemon anime and a new character. Nothing against him cause I always like him (hell I always kind of wish he and Misty would start being in love and such). It's just I guess I wonder if it's time that his journey ends and we replace him with new original characters.

I think if they were going to replace him, they would have (and should have) changed the main protagonist for every season.
He swaps out his entire team anyway (except for his level 100 unevolved Pikachu) so it would have made more sense (and possibly got me to watch past the 3rd season) to start each new region fresh with a new protagonist, new starter, new friends etc. just like the games.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Is Ash Ketchum the worst trainer to exist?
  • Topic Archived