This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. That new champion theme on the first clear *spoilers I guess*

User Info: gs_bass

gs_bass
11 months ago#1
It seems to be a mash up of the champion battle theme, Hau's theme (My friend Hau) and Gladion's theme (aka Encounter Rival)

even more Gen 1 references

I guess this means Hau finally becomes serious enough to be counted as a rival if even the music is reflecting that (if you're cynical, this could also mean the protagonist finally considers him a rival by this change in music)

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
11 months ago#2
He's always been countable as a rival.

But this fanbase can't accept someone as a rival unless they act like some Xbox Live kid.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod

gs_bass
11 months ago#3
Lexifox posted...

But this fanbase can't accept someone as a rival unless they act like some Xbox Live kid.

Well as rivals go, even NOT counting the jerks from gen 1 and 2, Hau's kinda....."iffy" in the rival department. As Gladion says, Hau doesn't take anything seriously till the end of Ultra Sun/Moon (and that's still counting Sun/Moon)

User Info: SeizureGoat

SeizureGoat
11 months ago#4
Lexifox posted...

Because being goofy-aloofy, obsessd with fried dough, and obnoxiously upbeat is so great for inspiring a rivalry.

You don't have to be a grimdark jerk to be a solid rival, but it helps if you can be taken seriously...like at all.

I cannot personally.

He's a rival, just not a very good one IMO.
FC: 2079-7503-2122

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
11 months ago#5
gs_bass posted...
Lexifox posted...

Well as rivals go, even NOT counting the jerks from gen 1 and 2, Hau's kinda....."iffy" in the rival department. As Gladion says, Hau doesn't take anything seriously till the end of Ultra Sun/Moon (and that's still counting Sun/Moon)
I think you misunderstand Hau a bit. He doesn't battle seriously because he was afraid of what losing like that would mean. But he absolutely wants to surpass the player thus he has internal conflict. He fights the player constantly wanting to beat them, but doesn't go all out so he can brush off his losses/pretend they are no big deal to him. But they are and that is why he kept battling the player and will continue to do so. Honestly the only change is Hau stops holding back an accepts his weakness and frustration as the tools that will make him grow stronger. There is nothing iffy about Hau's rivalry.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: mecha_no_maniac

mecha_no_maniac
11 months ago#6
Lexifox posted...

Lol, too true.

I admit, I prefer Hau's US/UM incarnation because he became tad more competetive, got extended character development and had bigger & better team this time around.

That said, Hau was already a likable character in the original games. Perhaps not as "threatening" as a rival compared to his US/UM version, but still a rival nonetheless.
"The red carpet has teeth." ~ Auron (Final Fantasy X)

User Info: Lexifox

Lexifox
11 months ago#7
Ultimately it doesn't matter if Hau is happy and friendly and likes hugging everyone he meets. He wants to beat you, and his focus is beating you.

That's what makes him a rival.
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod

User Info: Poipole

Poipole
11 months ago#8
in usum the player is supposed to be hau's rival, right down to the supereffective starter and clearing the elite 4 first

gs_bass posted...
jerks from gen 1

???
the only jerk rival was in gen 2
just because the gen 1 rival wasnt a smiley-faced one-note dips*** who doesnt fully evolve their starter and repeats the same 2 lines ad nauseam doesnt mean he was a jerk

Lexifox posted...
He wants to beat you, and his focus is beating you.

That's what makes him a rival.

are team rocket grunts rivals too

gs_bass
11 months ago#9
mecha_no_maniac posted...
Lexifox posted...

Lol, too true.

I admit, I prefer Hau's US/UM incarnation because he became tad more competetive, got extended character development and had bigger & better team this time around.

That said, Hau was already a likable character in the original games. Perhaps not as "threatening" as a rival compared to his US/UM version, but still a rival nonetheless.

This. I completely agree with this. Except for the last sentence - until the part with Pokemon House Hau is more of a "companion" than a "rival"

(and I seriously love how gamefreak played on that with the names of his and Gladion's themes)

User Info: DoNotTalktoMe

DoNotTalktoMe
11 months ago#10
Lexifox posted...

qft
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. That new champion theme on the first clear *spoilers I guess*
  • Topic Archived