• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. Bought the game after free trial. Amazing game

User Info: StarPeach423

StarPeach423
1 month ago#1
Wow, idk why I just discovered this game now. I’ve hardly heard many people talk about it, but I haven’t had so much fun with a fighting game in a long time. I come from a background of fighting games. I grew up playing Mortal Kombat, soul calibur, tekken, smash bros, powerstone, bloody roar primal fury.

This game reminds me of a mix between Powerstone, with its “field phase” mode and synergy evolutions, Tekken in the way that combos are pulled off in “dual phase”, and bloody roar, with its transformations.

At first glance I thought the fighting system was lacking, and didn’t have much variety because there’s no “high, mid, low” system like Tekken, no long combos and special moves-as in Mortal Kombat. A single direction block button with no need to guess low attacks.

After going through all the tutorials and understanding the countering system, the free-flowing way you can combine smaller strings into longer, flashy combos, a good learning curve on the higher end of the game. After understanding the attack options in field phase and mind games with the 50/50’s; seeing how unique each character’s move set is, I am just amazed at the uniqueness and depth of this game.

Its weird how in dual phase you only have up+attack, down+attack, forward+attack- but with the different move properties when the x or y attack buttons are held, and being able to end a combo with up+special (a), back+special, forward +special- but no down special because the game counts it as neutral- you can create so many different types of combos.

I think the synergy transformations and specials are cool, and the calling in for help is a nice touch.

The online has been really good fun, with a pretty active scene. I think I only waited most maybe 15 seconds to lair up with someone.

I could see myself playing this for hours trying to learn the ins and outs of each character. I’m currently playing with Blaziken because his combos are crazy fun.

There better be a DLC wave 3, since there’s an empty space in the character select screen.

Better yet, I really hope they come out with a new and improved Pokken 2. They just need to fine tune the formula a bit. 1) Add wake up attack moves, or the ability to roll like in tekken 2) No more duplicates like having two pikachus and mewtwos? 3) Allow character customization like in Tekken 4) Add moves for all four directions for each attack button. Like I want X and Y-attack buttons to have a back+X or back+Y move. I want the special A attack button to have a down+A attack. 5) I want the transformed characters to have different and slightly more powerful special moves in field and dual phase- similar to Powerstone, 6) Add low-attacks in the game and the ability to block low. 7) Increase the time spent in “dual phase”. This is where the game really shines so there ought to be a few more hits before you’re both in “field phase”.

With these changes, Pokken 2 could be the best fighting game of 2021 or 2022.

I am enjoying Pokken far better than Super Smash Bros Ultimate, which is extremely unbalanced, has poor online (come on, Pokken’s online is way better than smash bros ultimate) and has mechanics that don’t allow for many punish options since everything is so safe.

Honestly, Pokken is the best fighter on Switch. But it would only take a bit more refining to make it even better than it already is.

Pokken 2, i’m looking out for you!

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
1 month ago#2
I'm glad you're liking it. I couldn't tell you why myself but Pokken is the only fighting game I've been able to really get into, it's just so much fun at higher levels of play.

StarPeach423 posted...
4) Add moves for all four directions for each attack button. Like I want X and Y-attack buttons to have a back+X or back+Y move. I want the special A attack button to have a down+A attack.
These already exist for most characters, actually. Not every character has a different move for every direction on every button but there's plenty of back X/Y and down A moves.
5) I want the transformed characters to have different and slightly more powerful special moves in field and dual phase- similar to Powerstone,
This also already exists (assuming by transformed characters you mean burst mode). To use weavile as an example, since he's my main: in burst mode, icicle crash (his midair ice platform) can be used twice in midair, which opens up lots of new options, and his field phase projectiles will throw out extra projectiles (5 ice traps instead of 3, 3 snowballs instead of 1, etc). Some characters get even bigger changes - compare Gengar in and out of burst - but as far as I've seen everyone has at least a few moves with new changes or follow-up options.
6) Add low-attacks in the game and the ability to block low.
Personally I'm not convinced that adding high/low blocking would make the game better. Do you think blocking is too strong as is? (note that high/low attacks already exist, and certain moves and stances will let you avoid highs or lows while active. It's just that blocking specifically coves everything)
7) Increase the time spent in “dual phase”. This is where the game really shines so there ought to be a few more hits before you’re both in “field phase”.
I disagree here too, I really like duel phase the way it is now, where it's basically a fancy version of neutral and you're both jockeying for the first hit. Making it like duel phase where you're in for a while and you just want to do as much damage as possible would lose that, and I don't feel like the 3d arena works as well for a longer battle.

I definitely agree about wanting a Pokken 2, though. I'd really hate for the game to be abandoned.

User Info: Gigaraver

Gigaraver
1 month ago#3
Yeah, high/low profiling is absolutely a thing and is vital to recognizing in high-level play. For example, some attack strings put your character in a high/low state, and if the opponent catches on they can slip through your string with a counter hit.

Pokken really does have lots of small nuances that begin to add up. It can make discerning match-ups quite the affair.
Nintendo Switch FC - SW-1793-0112-3629
NNID - Hyperdon

StarPeach423
1 month ago#4
Enlino posted...
I'm glad you're liking it. I couldn't tell you why myself but Pokken is the only fighting game I've been able to really get into, it's just so much fun at higher levels of play.

These already exist for most characters, actually. Not every character has a different move for every direction on every button but there's plenty of back X/Y and down A moves.
This also already exists (assuming by transformed characters you mean burst mode). To use weavile as an example, since he's my main: in burst mode, icicle crash (his midair ice platform) can be used twice in midair, which opens up lots of new options, and his field phase projectiles will throw out extra projectiles (5 ice traps instead of 3, 3 snowballs instead of 1, etc). Some characters get even bigger changes - compare Gengar in and out of burst - but as far as I've seen everyone has at least a few moves with new changes or follow-up options.
Personally I'm not convinced that adding high/low blocking would make the game better. Do you think blocking is too strong as is? (note that high/low attacks already exist, and certain moves and stances will let you avoid highs or lows while active. It's just that blocking specifically coves everything)
I disagree here too, I really like duel phase the way it is now, where it's basically a fancy version of neutral and you're both jockeying for the first hit. Making it like duel phase where you're in for a while and you just want to do as much damage as possible would lose that, and I don't feel like the 3d arena works as well for a longer battle.

I definitely agree about wanting a Pokken 2, though. I'd really hate for the game to be abandoned.

Hm, I think my observations are specific to Blaziken then. For some reason he lacks back+x and back +y moves. I’ll have to check out the others. The same also goes for Blaziken’s burst mode attacks, the moves are the same in field phase for him when he’s just regular. It would be nice if every character had a different attack for each direction. I think it would put even more variety in the game.

I think adding maybe 1-2 low attacks per character would allow a way for advancing while ducking under the opponent’s projectiles. It would also keep the opponent guessing if you’re coming in low or high. This would make blocking slightly more challenging too.

StarPeach423
1 month ago#5
Gigaraver posted...
Yeah, high/low profiling is absolutely a thing and is vital to recognizing in high-level play. For example, some attack strings put your character in a high/low state, and if the opponent catches on they can slip through your string with a counter hit.

Pokken really does have lots of small nuances that begin to add up. It can make discerning match-ups quite the affair.

Yeah you’re right I was playing around with the game and noticed you can put the character in a high and low state.

User Info: _Mitsunari_

_Mitsunari_
1 month ago#6
God I miss power stone, and I slightly disagree on the duplicates comment. yeah they have similar names and what not but their movesets, playstyles and combos really vary
PSN: iGottaLevel
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: FelineCyborg

FelineCyborg
1 month ago#7
bought it too. sfv5 has a free trial too and its kind of garbage compared to pokken tournament
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#8
It had been on my radar for years, but I waited for a good sale.

As a fighter, it's kinda weird and wonky, but I was mostly interested in it because it was a fighter using Pokemon so my expectations were fairly moderate.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. Bought the game after free trial. Amazing game
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Switching partner pokemon? General2 Answers
Can I play it offline? General1 Answer
Decidueye Combo Tutorial #5, what am I doing wrong? Main Quest4 Answers
Where do I find my vs. code? Tech Support1 Answer
DLC not working? General1 Answer