• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. If I trained on the Wii U version, could I be fine on Switch Tournaments?

User Info: Awesomekid95600

Awesomekid95600
1 year ago#1
I didn't know if I should have put it here, or in the Wii U boards, so I did it on both. Anyway I don't own a Nintendo Switch, I'm that unfortunate kid who is always a generation behind. I haven't been to any tournaments. I don't know if they do both, all I know is that if there is a definitive edition, they go for that *COUGH COUGH* (unless your Melee) *COUGH COUGH*. All I notice between the two versions is that a few extra characters from the arcade were added to the roster in DX, and of course control changes since console port, but the switch controllers are just like the 3DS/Wii U controllers anyway just (split up into 2 seperate pieces). Would I be able to get away with just getting good on the Wii U port and be just use those skills in DX? I know I wont be able to try certain characters such as Decidueye, but I never was a fan of him/her anyway. Sorry if this is a waste of time and space, I just don't know anywhere else to ask this. Any help is appriciated. :D

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
1 year ago#2
Depends on just how competitive you want to be, I guess. The characters are mostly the same, so if you’re good on the Wii U version, a lot of that would carry over to the switch. That said, there are balance changes and new moves for the old characters going from Wii U to DX, so between practicing on the old versions and not being able to practice fighting the new characters at all, you’d still be at a real disadvantage in a competitive setting.

You could probably make up for some of that by making sure you know exactly what’s different about your character in DX, but in the end just studying the difference on paper is no susptitute for practicing in the game.

Awesomekid95600
1 year ago#3
Thanks, this was super insightful. Also, what do you mean new moves for old characters, do you mean an entirely different move with a completely different, or like something changed to that move in question such as damage dealt. I play with lucario as my main.

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
1 year ago#4
Awesomekid95600 posted...
Thanks, this was super insightful. Also, what do you mean new moves for old characters, do you mean an entirely different move with a completely different, or like something changed to that move in question such as damage dealt. I play with lucario as my main.

Both. There’s been a bunch of changes to moves, but also a recent patch added a new move to most of the old characters. For example, weavile’s homing attack in field can be canceled into icicle crash (the same move, but it changes how you can use it) but he also gained a new lunging attack in duel that wasn’t there at all in Wii U.

Awesomekid95600
1 year ago#5
Oh ok, I understand now. Thanks
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. If I trained on the Wii U version, could I be fine on Switch Tournaments?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Switching partner pokemon? General2 Answers
Can I play it offline? General1 Answer
Decidueye Combo Tutorial #5, what am I doing wrong? Main Quest4 Answers
Where do I find my vs. code? Tech Support1 Answer
DLC not working? General1 Answer