• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. Why does AI still suck so much?

User Info: JiggyNinja

JiggyNinja
1 year ago#1
Video games have been around for decades now. Why is their AI doing the same stupid crap they they were doing back in the original Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat days?

I screw around a lot in the Iron League just to waste some time whenever I feel like it. I am 100% certain that the AI reads my inputs. The amount of times I've been grabbed the instant I starting a counter is just stupid. One time I charged Psywave against a Decidueye in Burst, and the instant I pressed A to fire it, it used Burted on me. Literally the instant, there wasn't even time for SM2 to move.

Not to mention exploiting Artificial Stupidity. I out-zoned a Chandelure with Machamp. It got trapped in a loop of trying to laser me every time i jumped, but getting smacked in the face by the Wall-o-Fists (jY) the instant before the laser came out. Repeat 4 times FTW.

The AI is just ridiculously bad dealing with projectiles and eats Psywave after Psywave like a dumb idiot, and when they're in your face they can win the RPS war anytime they want to. It alternates between very tedious and very frustrating.

Does nobody even really try to make a good AI?

User Info: Enlino

Enlino
1 year ago#2
Making good AI is easy. It's not hard at all to make an AI that reacts perfectly on the first frame your attack comes out, that has complete knowledge of frame data, that never once drops an input and which always goes for the optimal combo in any situation.

Making a fair AI, one that's challenging without superhuman reflexes, one that's capable of adapting to your play the way a human would - that is almost impossible. Once you get past the low level fundamentals, a lot of getting good at fighting games is centered around fuzzy, hard to define stuff. Figuring out the best way to approach in neutral, trying to predict what your opponent will do, mixing your own approach up so you don't become predictable, it's all this vague, abstract stuff but it completely depends on all the tiny specific details of how the game works.

For single player, an invincible AI with perfect reflexes isn't any fun to fight against, so they need to make it weaker and beatable by a mere mortal. But since the AI doesn't approach the game the same way a human does, a weaker AI is still a combination of superhuman in some areas, really dumb in others. Making an AI that approaches the game like a human, with an artificially limited reaction time compensated for by predicting the opponent, would be a massive undertaking that most players wouldn't appreciate and which would be much more prone to breaking whenever you release a balance patch.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokken Tournament DX
  3. Why does AI still suck so much?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A