You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Staff to use on a support pawn?

User Info: Yasukima

Yasukima
1 month ago#1
I have a level 26 mage pawn who has leveled exclusively as a fighter so far, so she has low magick attack but somewhat high defense.
Trying to get her better armor, and have 2 Savior Rings on her.

So knowing that, which staff is recommended? She currently has Legion's Might, but I was wondering if another staff would be better.

She does have comestion as her only attack spell, but it does very little damage, and I'll most likely change it to a boon or affinity spell--
and if I did she'd have no attack spells so debilitation or high damaging staves wouldn't be very effective, I'd think?

Also does Grapnel inflict debilitations from staves?
Y'know... Chansey sort of looks like an axolotl...
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Sevn

Sevn
1 month ago#2
What are you planning to use her for, combat or support or both? If you are looking for a combat magical dps I would use a sorc, much better and stronger offensive skills.

Which staff depends on what you are doing.
I like using either holy or lightning staffs as most enemies are weak to both.

If you are using her as I am as a heal bot/ babysitter for the rest of the team legions might is perfect. Not having to ever worry about losing your heal bot while in combat is a huge relief for me. She keeps the entire team healed up and buffed up for fights with a handful of lightning spells to add a little dps to the group.

Once your heal bot reaches level 40 or their magic stat reaches 300 their heals/buffs no longer increase in power anyway so using a more powerful staff is pointless for a heal bot unless you are looking for them to be more aggressive offensively in which case I'd rather have a sorc, the better version of mage.

Mage has the lowest gains of all the vocations, both in terms of magic and strength, be mindful when leveling up as one!

User Info: vonhizzle

vonhizzle
1 month ago#3
I believe grapnel does dark damage so it should inflict debilitations. If you aren't worried about the pawn dieing a rusted staff would probably be ideal. I believe anodyne and halidom will inflict torpor on enemies @AliceUnchained can confirm that. Comestion is also pretty good at inflicting torpor.
https://www.twitch.tv/vonhizzle
https://www.youtube.com/vonhizzle

User Info: AliceUnchained

AliceUnchained
1 month ago#4
vonhizzle posted...
I believe grapnel does dark damage so it should inflict debilitations. If you aren't worried about the pawn dieing a rusted staff would probably be ideal. I believe anodyne and halidom will inflict torpor on enemies @AliceUnchained can confirm that. Comestion is also pretty good at inflicting torpor.

Yes it will, torpor mages are amazing! The "cloud" that lingers from both Anodyne and Halidom will inflict torpor on any foes that walk into it. Grapnel + rusted staff works very well too, after the foe is released from grapnel's grip they will remain torpored until it wears off. My rusty staff mage is one of my favorites in my corral of pawns.
AliceUnchained3 - Freyja - Sorceress
yunabug18 and AliceUnchained4/5/7/8/9/0 are my other accts.

User Info: Yasukima

Yasukima
1 month ago#5
Thank you all

Does higher magick make a noticeable difference to boon and affinity skills?

I'm basically trying to make her a tanky support pawn, which is a reason I'm conflicted about the staff to give her.
Once I get her better armor, would it really be beneficial to have the added insurance of Legion's Might?

Last thing, if anyone can help, what combination of inclinations work well with support pawns?
Y'know... Chansey sort of looks like an axolotl...
(edited 1 month ago)

AliceUnchained
1 month ago#6
Yasukima posted...
Thank you all

I'm basically trying to make her a tanky support pawn, which is a reason I'm conflicted about the staff to give her.
Once I get her better armor, would it really be beneficial to have the added insurance of Legion's Might?

Last thing, if anyone can help, what combination of inclinations work well with support pawns?

Higher magick does make a difference with boon/affinity, but if you want a tanky support mage I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My mage is very tanky too, with almost 400 def. as well as almost 400 mag. def.

This is her build:
http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#am3e120000000a00000000002c000038000000

I say no about the Legion's Might, I find them more useful for low leveled/poor armored pawns. I'd either go with a rusted staff or Dominion Claw. Since you want pure support I'd lean towards rusted. :)

My pawn is Util/Med/Chal, even though I know most people don't want Med in the top 2. You may want to go Util/Chal/Med.
(edited 1 month ago)

Sevn
1 month ago#7
AliceUnchained posted...
Yasukima posted...
Thank you all

Higher magick does make a difference with boon/affinity, but if you want a tanky support mage I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My mage is very tanky too, with almost 400 def. as well as almost 400 mag. def.

This is her build:
http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#am3e120000000a00000000002c000038000000

I say no about the Legion's Might, I find them more useful for low leveled/poor armored pawns. I'd either go with a rusted staff or Dominion Claw. Since you want pure support I'd lean towards rusted. :)

My pawn is Util/Med/Chal, even though I know most people don't want Med in the top 2. You may want to go Util/Chal/Med.

I was under the impression boons/affinity maxed out at 300 magic and level 40? Wiki strikes again! Lol

To op, I suggest trying different combinations as far as staffs. Seeing as you have been using legions might you might not have noticed how often a mage pawn dies regardless of defense stats, at least for me on hard mode! In most skirmishes, enemies almost always attack the mage nonstop.

I tried many staffs, for me nothing beats not ever having to worry about your healbot not being able to do her job, which screws up everyone else trying to do their job. I use a torpor bow for me and all my bowmen so that's covered and if Wiki is even slightly correct a more powerful staff would just be for offensive skills which most of my mages skills are for support so yes for me on legions might.

User Info: InfernoRodan

InfernoRodan
1 month ago#8
A gold rarefied Rusted Staff pretty much completely breaks the game if your Mage is set up to abuse it to the fullest. It's hilarious.
InfernoRodan - Stella, lvl 200 Strider | InfernoRodan2 - Luna, lvl 200 Mage | InfernoRodan3 - Sol, lvl 200 Fighter
https://i.imgur.com/ZnqBqDO.jpg

AliceUnchained
1 month ago#9
InfernoRodan posted...
A gold rarefied Rusted Staff pretty much completely breaks the game if your Mage is set up to abuse it to the fullest. It's hilarious.

Yes, torpor mages are wonderful. :)

Sevn
1 month ago#10
InfernoRodan posted...

No dispute from me, just would be overkill for my squad as everyone on my team already wields a rusted bow. I just hate babysitting my pawns, love em to death though!
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Staff to use on a support pawn?