• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Pawn Inclinations recap

User Info: xool

xool
4 months ago#1
After much too long I finally got round (trying to) to incorporate Ghost_of_Kirin's research from about a year back in to the wiki. [this https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/74291952 ]

Some stuff that is now known to be wrong got corrected, and new stuff added ... however there is still some stuff I don'y now if is correct or just "head canon" (wrong) still needs sorting out.

Here's a list :

(Mitigator) Spellcaster pawns will choose spells with greater areas of effect.
(Challenger) Spellcaster pawns will choose spells with greater areas of effect when facing multiple ranged attackers and magic-using foes.
(Utilitarian) Bow users will pick off the small fry in a mob. Encourages Spell Synching in Sorcerers, and the use of Spellscreen and enchantments in Mages. This behavior is at its best on pawns with very good Bestiary knowledge.
(Nexus) Encourages the pawn to carry downed pawns to the Arisen for aid.
(Guardian) Raised by any other situation that causes a pawn to come to the Arisen's aid.
quote "Utilitarian-prime casters will always commence battle by casting an elemental buff." - Check it promotes enchanting.
(Pioneer) A pawn with this inclination will frequently use the "Come" motion when idling.
Using knowledge chair slows down inclination drift

..of these claims I think the Utilitarian ones might be right, but really doubt the rest.. If anyone can shed any light I'd appreciate it.

btw themain article is at https://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Pawn_Inclination -- it got cut down a lot to reduce verbosity so that people might actually read it (instead of 10 pages of stuff even I couldn't read..) anyway..

Some of the number stuff got put at https://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Pawn_Inclination_:_Under_the_Hood - if anyone has more stuff about save file xmls, or stuff from dll.input etc that's your place.

[article still needs a lot of work - first draft etc] - but better to make complaints early.. thanks.

[edit2 - if there's any new info since Kirin's I missed please link thanks]

User Info: InfernoRodan

InfernoRodan
4 months ago#2
It doesn't really make sense to me that Utilitarian makes bow users pick off small fry in a mob - that behavior should fall squarely under Mitigator.

Also the part about Utilitarian primary casters *always* starting combat with an elemental buff isn't really accurate. They certainly do, or at least attempt to, in most cases, but saying Pawns will *always* do anything in this game is potentially misleading considering how bloody complex their behavior patterns can be.

The bit about the Pioneer idle animation is correct.
InfernoRodan - Stella, lvl 200 Strider | InfernoRodan2 - Luna, lvl 200 Mage | InfernoRodan3 - Sol, lvl 200 Fighter
https://i.imgur.com/ZnqBqDO.jpg

User Info: Yasukima

Yasukima
4 months ago#3
Nexus is correct-- and I hate that inclination.

I try revive a pawn only to have another pawn pick them up to "help"
only I can't revive them while another pawn has them.
PSN: Kimu_Omou Pawn: Heysel lvl 89ish Sorcerer

xool
4 months ago#4
InfernoRodan posted...
It doesn't really make sense to me that Utilitarian makes bow users pick off small fry in a mob - that behavior should fall squarely under Mitigator.

Also the part about Utilitarian primary casters *always* starting combat with an elemental buff isn't really accurate. They certainly do, or at least attempt to, in most cases, but saying Pawns will *always* do anything in this game is potentially misleading considering how bloody complex their behavior patterns can be.

The bit about the Pioneer idle animation is correct.

Those were the removals .. I'll check the pioneer thing though..

There were some theories that inclination or more likely the personality (knowledge chair) affects victory pose too - but I was never able to get consistent results.

xool
4 months ago#5
Yasukima posted...

I suppose I should check this. I kill Nexus at all costs but my pawns still carry dead ones to me anyway (part of the problem testing inclinations) - they're pretty consistent, but I'll try to see if they're even more keen when Nexus

User Info: Yasukima

Yasukima
4 months ago#6
xool posted...
Yasukima posted...

I suppose I should check this. I kill Nexus at all costs but my pawns still carry dead ones to me anyway (part of the problem testing inclinations) - they're pretty consistent, but I'll try to see if they're even more keen when Nexus

I've noticed recently that 2 of my pawns briefly pick up downed pawns even without that inclination and it not even being the third inclination.

But nexus pawns that I've hired in the past are very determined to "help" their fellow pawns.
PSN: Kimu_Omou Pawn: Heysel lvl 89ish Sorcerer

xool
4 months ago#7
ok I checked the Pioneer idle animation thing and it doesn't work for me .. is this supposed to mean the "waving hand in front of face" thing ??

Pioneer causes pawn to stand around 6m away from Arisen, unlike most other inclinations (not all) where the pawn stands right next to Arisen (like 1m) .. afaict the "hand wave" thing only happens when the pawn is really close.

I definitely didn't get any idle animation from Pioneer except the "looking around" one

User Info: InfernoRodan

InfernoRodan
4 months ago#8
Waving the hand in front of the Arisen's face is Guardian. I'm pretty sure the looking around animation is Challenger, since all three of my Pawns do it quite often and they all have Challenger as their first or second inclination.
InfernoRodan - Stella, lvl 200 Strider | InfernoRodan2 - Luna, lvl 200 Mage | InfernoRodan3 - Sol, lvl 200 Fighter
https://i.imgur.com/ZnqBqDO.jpg

xool
4 months ago#9
Yasukima posted...
xool posted...
Yasukima posted...

I've noticed recently that 2 of my pawns briefly pick up downed pawns even without that inclination and it not even being the third inclination.

But nexus pawns that I've hired in the past are very determined to "help" their fellow pawns.

ok I did some tests - looks like I was completely wrong - you were right too.

Devilfire drake + 3 pawns + my pawn with Legion's might + Neutralising Elixir + other elixirs to fix inclinations.. I break a horn for Dragon roar, and some dead pawns .. then let my pawn do the work :

*Mitigator + Ultilitarian (neutral inclintations) - pawn completely ignores the dead pawns ... pointing, taking the pawn on paths near the dead ones, or far away - no effect
*Also tried other non-Nexus combinations
*Nexus in second - now the pawn will pick them up - but still likes to attack the Drake
*Nexus in first - lots of carrying behaviour - not 100% but close.

It looks like Nexus needs to be 1st or 2nd to get any dead pawn carries (with Nexus in "invisible third" I didn't notice carrying)

The results were black and white for me... Interesting (I must have picked up a nexus pawn before .. or maybe things are different in Chamber of Lament)

xool
4 months ago#10
InfernoRodan posted...
Waving the hand in front of the Arisen's face is Guardian. I'm pretty sure the looking around animation is Challenger, since all three of my Pawns do it quite often and they all have Challenger as their first or second inclination.

My pawns are doing the looking around animation under all inclinations .. pioneer, medicant, scather etc. tbh I can't seem to get "waving" to trigger right now at all .. odd.. Usually they're quite quick to start doing it - don't really understand what is going on with them today.

Will try again tomorrow..
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Pawn Inclinations recap
  • Topic Archived