Pawns Ever Truly Useful?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Pawns Ever Truly Useful?

User Info: Thalantyr1216

Thalantyr1216
1 month ago#1
They seem like a neat concept, but I've yet to find a single pawn that aggressively fought tough enemies. They seem to be aggressive vs. trash mobs, but vs s*** like cursed dragons I had them pretty much refuse to engage 90% of the time. I had a strider with a rusted bow, who never seemed to shoot at the dragon, it was lovely.

Mage meanwhile rarely buffed me with holy affinity, and never used its offensive spells or magic bolt.
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others. - Douglas Adams

User Info: thefernus

thefernus
1 month ago#2
I love this thread. Cursed dragons are the biggest causers of AI derp but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERLrC_mtf4E

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8YCL-or_7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mttq7-wGdA

https://youtu.be/aqH0jhoFqhE

etc.

Of course a well geared player can still do it faster, but they can do pretty good if they are perfect lolis. :D
Bringing loli to Dragon's Dogma!
PSN/pawn - grandglutton/Leviatha; Loli_Nation/Lolinator Jr; Laifu4Waifu/GuardNexus; Minataura/Minataur; Lolinator3rd/Altair

thefernus
1 month ago#3
Also try fighter + strider or fighter + sorcerer, fighter is often key for solid showings of teamwork.
PSN/pawn - grandglutton/Leviatha; Loli_Nation/Lolinator Jr; Laifu4Waifu/GuardNexus; Minataura/Minataur; Lolinator3rd/Altair

User Info: bunnyrebellion

bunnyrebellion
1 month ago#4
we did this thing on the PS3 with a contest to see the “best” pawns, using several stages, fiend-luring incense really tough enemies. The pawns were set in pairs and the whole thing filmed, uploaded to YouTube and with a few exceptions (death), the pawns cleared the rooms without any curatives, any revives and zero intervention from the Arisen.

The videos are still out there if you search for them, pretty entertaining stuff, brought to us by @_ard and my whole attitude toward the game changed. I let the pawns do all the work except certain bosses.

The videos are similar to the stuff posted above but if you want to see them you can search for dragons dogma APC.

The only caveat, if you hire well-trained pawns, like the ones of active opsc / GF gamers the results will be better than the abandoned rift pawns who have lots less training.

Have fun!!!
XBL bunny of honor
PSN bunnyrebellion

Thalantyr1216
1 month ago#5
thefernus posted...
Also try fighter + strider or fighter + sorcerer, fighter is often key for solid showings of teamwork.

I tried mage + double sorcerer + fighter first, the fighter couldn't do much as dragon rarely landed. My pawn (the other sorcerer) was fairly useful as she'd spell-synch with me, but that was about it for damage. The fight lasted forever as I as using a 3 star stagnant surge. Much easier now that I'm using a 2 star bane archistaff.
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others. - Douglas Adams

thefernus
1 month ago#6
Thalantyr1216 posted...
thefernus posted...

I tried mage + double sorcerer + fighter first, the fighter couldn't do much as dragon rarely landed. My pawn (the other sorcerer) was fairly useful as she'd spell-synch with me, but that was about it for damage. The fight lasted forever as I as using a 3 star stagnant surge. Much easier now that I'm using a 2 star bane archistaff.

You don't knock the dragon down when it flies up? Just hit the tail with your focused bolts.

Thalantyr1216
1 month ago#7
I was doing that whenever I had holy affinity up, but didn't have the spell myself so had to rely on pawn mage to buff me to enable me to do so.

thefernus
1 month ago#8
Thalantyr1216 posted...
I was doing that whenever I had holy affinity up, but didn't have the spell myself so had to rely on pawn mage to buff me to enable me to do so.

The regular focused bolts can still take them down but it might take more than one shot, double Barbed Nails (the best accessory :D) helps.

User Info: valkyriePROfail

valkyriePROfail
1 month ago#9
Strider pawns can easily down flying dragons with hailstorm volley.
Lv200 Psn:ValkyriePROfail - Lenneth / Psn:Mustbeajoke - Hrist / Psn:Shy_valkyrie - Silmeria
Lv28 Psn:Twink_account Li'l Lenneth / Psn:Not_a_twink_acc Li'l Freya

User Info: BRUJAH1270

BRUJAH1270
1 month ago#10
I have always had pretty good luck with pawns, with the occasional AI timeouts, I have always found them useful and enjoyable company even when stating the painfully obvious. I generally stick to striders, mages and sorcs for hiring though. If you have a very well equipped and well trained pawn with you and you strategize tactics with them I find it quite effective and enjoyable to have them with me.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Pawns Ever Truly Useful?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived