• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. C/D: Vaas is one of the most overrated villains in fiction?
BBBanks03 3 years ago#1
Now before you start ranting and raving about how I'm a moron for hating Vaas, slow your role: I actually like Vaas as a villain. I thought he was a lot of fun. But before playing FC3 and even after it came and went, I've heard constantly from the gaming community that "Vaas is one of the best villains in the history of gaming," and this to me just shows how far video game storytelling still needs to go, more than anything.

Vaas was an enjoyable villain, but come on now... take him, all his mannerisms, dialogue, and insert him into any movie or tv show you want, and you wouldn't even give him a second glance. Take that character out of a video game story, and he's not even winning an MTV Best Villain movie award. Who else agrees?
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
atomicgarden 3 years ago#2
I don’t think I have ever seen anyone saying he’s one of the greatest in gaming history, but definately overated. Pagan Min was way more interesting and nuanced as the best FC villain. At least he felt original. Vaas was just a cliché insane psychotic villain.

I always felt people were still on their hard on about Ledger’s Joker, which came out only 4 years prior and Vaas is very similar IMO. Oh this guy is sooo crazy and sadistic.
BBBanks03 3 years ago#3
atomicgarden posted...
I always felt people were still on their hard on about Ledger’s Joker, which came out only 4 years prior and Vaas is very similar IMO. Oh this guy is sooo crazy and sadistic

I think you just hit the nail on the head. Even if that's what you're looking for in your villain prototype, comparing Vaas to Nolan's Joker is laughable. I've never played Far Cry 4, but after what I've heard people saying about Pagan Min lately on this board, I'm feeling compelled to give the game a shot.
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
gughunter 3 years ago#4
Yeah, Vaas is a punk. Pagan Min is where it's at.
I'm high on the real thing: powerful gasoline, a clean windshield and a shoeshine.
StaticPenguin 3 years ago#5
I don't think Vaas is overrated but he's definitely a villain that never lived up to his full potential.

He should have used Jason to take out Hoyt first and then the two could have had an awesome, epic brawl at the end after taking over Hoyt's operation
CaIiber345 3 years ago#6
I'm on record as stating that Vaas is overrated trash tier and appeals to emo kids who don’t know any better because they didn’t grow up with really good fiction. People had the nerve to compare him to the Joker. The f***ing JOKER. f*** Vaas. And f*** Far Cry 3 while we’re at it. Story and characters were horrible and aimed at the snowflakes. Loved FC4 though, and I’m about done with FC5 and while I have many gripes, I still enjoyed it and will play it again.
FameGAQs 2022
I just want something, I can never have.
StaticPenguin 3 years ago#7
CaIiber345 posted...
I'm on record as stating that Vaas is overrated trash tier and appeals to emo kids who don’t know any better because they didn’t grow up with really good fiction. People had the nerve to compare him to the Joker. The f***ing JOKER. f*** Vaas. And f*** Far Cry 3 while we’re at it. Story and characters were horrible and aimed at the snowflakes. Loved FC4 though, and I’m about done with FC5 and while I have many gripes, I still enjoyed it and will play it again.

Vaas really pissed in your cornflakes huh?
CrimsonNocturna 3 years ago#8
Why do people say he’s like Ledger’s Joker? They are absolutely nothing alike. At all. Other than they are bad guys. Vaas was just completely unhinged and just loved the idea of hunting you down. He was also hoping to sell you off for ransom too. Joker was just an anarchist trying to make a point that all it takes is one bad day to drive a man into lunacy. 2 different characters with 2 different motives.

The Vaas in game wasn’t nearly as good as the Far Cry Experience video series where he was portrayed by Michael Mando. He’s absolutely captivating
FC: 4528-2114-6475
gtarocker 3 years ago#9
StaticPenguin posted...
CaIiber345 posted...

Vaas really pissed in your cornflakes huh?

Multiple times apparently
PSN kotabones. You're easier to trigger than Han Solo's blaster
StaticPenguin 3 years ago#10
CrimsonNocturna posted...
Why do people say he’s like Ledger’s Joker? They are absolutely nothing alike. At all. Other than they are bad guys. Vaas was just completely unhinged and just loved the idea of hunting you down. He was also hoping to sell you off for ransom too. Joker was just an anarchist trying to make a point that all it takes is one bad day to drive a man into lunacy. 2 different characters with 2 different motives.

The Vaas in game wasn’t nearly as good as the Far Cry Experience video series where he was portrayed by Michael Mando. He’s absolutely captivating

Never heard that comparison once.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. C/D: Vaas is one of the most overrated villains in fiction?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A