You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Why is Johnny Cage an anime protagonist now?

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
2 months ago#11
I probably missed that in MK9. If it was mentioned it must have been in passing unlike in MKX where it was a key plot point. But regardless of where it started, it doesn't do Johnny Cage any favors.

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
2 months ago#12
actually, it did him a lot of favors... lol
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362~K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: bIuerain

bIuerain
2 months ago#13
tangentially related but I don't think it merits its own topic so I'll just post here:

I bought the game finally and I might just refund on Steam already.

-DLC bulls*** everywhere. $60 game, day one DLC galor, day one expensive season pass, insane loot/cosmetic grind.

-The entire variant system still sucks and just isn't fun. Why not just have all the moves on the character at once? I have to do some stupid customization s*** just to have the Ranked/Tournament standard Variants available in VS / Training. The Variant system was always bad and it's even worse here.

-I could look past no Reptile (because Noob Saibot's return is great) if it didn't have this unfun BS.

Still deciding. I can play the game for exactly 12 more minutes before I am locked out of Steam refund, lol. Considering just using the refund money to get Samurai Shodown later, which is looking like a MUCH better deal. I can barely comment on the gameplay because most of my playtime was setting up the game for my 4K TV (gorgeous graphics BTW) and doing tutorials and then figuring out how to set up Noob's actual standard Varient.

It worth continuing to try for longer and lose my refund chance? Or should I just wait for some kind of Komplete edition down the line?
go team venture!

User Info: Blue_Inigo

Blue_Inigo
2 months ago#14
That really depends on how interested you are in learning Noob and playing him on or offline. There will without a doubt be a komplete version since WB does that for all its games, but if you aren't having that much fun with it just return it and wait.

The only downside I can see with you waiting is that you by the time you come back the online will have become a lot more fierce.
"This is your last dance."

User Info: Dark_Despair

Dark_Despair
2 months ago#15
CVGuile posted...
I'm talking about this weird s*** introduced in MKX where he apparently now has some kind of mysterious hidden power and passed it on to Cassie. I don't even have much to say on it other than pointing out how strange it is. Like what's the deal? A lot of things in the previous two MKs feel out of place but this is weird in a different way because it took something that was easy to just let exist as a normal component of Johnny Cage's fight mechanics--the green fireballs and shadow trails--and suddenly made it special among all the other crazy powers on display in the franchise. He was cool as a Hollywood martial artist who got caught up in an interdimensional tournament and managed to hold his own. Now he's like a shonen protagonist drawing on a well of hidden potential to save the day.

Pretty sure The Last Dragon was the reference. Nothing about anime.
PSN Gamer Tag: Murciealago229
Currently Playing: God of War, The Crew 2 and Spider-Man.

User Info: Dark_Despair

Dark_Despair
2 months ago#16
bIuerain posted...
tangentially related but I don't think it merits its own topic so I'll just post here:

I bought the game finally and I might just refund on Steam already.

-DLC bulls*** everywhere. $60 game, day one DLC galor, day one expensive season pass, insane loot/cosmetic grind.

-The entire variant system still sucks and just isn't fun. Why not just have all the moves on the character at once? I have to do some stupid customization s*** just to have the Ranked/Tournament standard Variants available in VS / Training. The Variant system was always bad and it's even worse here.

-I could look past no Reptile (because Noob Saibot's return is great) if it didn't have this unfun BS.

Still deciding. I can play the game for exactly 12 more minutes before I am locked out of Steam refund, lol. Considering just using the refund money to get Samurai Shodown later, which is looking like a MUCH better deal. I can barely comment on the gameplay because most of my playtime was setting up the game for my 4K TV (gorgeous graphics BTW) and doing tutorials and then figuring out how to set up Noob's actual standard Varient.

It worth continuing to try for longer and lose my refund chance? Or should I just wait for some kind of Komplete edition down the line?

It doesn't look likely. MKXL didn't have ALL the DLC unlocked from the inane mobile game tie-in and this game is relying on customization and discoveries through the Krypt.

For anyone who didn't like the type of grind Smash had this would be the one game that actually lends itself to legit complaints.
PSN Gamer Tag: Murciealago229
Currently Playing: God of War, The Crew 2 and Spider-Man.

User Info: SSBR10

SSBR10
2 months ago#17
CVGuile posted...
I probably missed that in MK9. If it was mentioned it must have been in passing unlike in MKX where it was a key plot point. But regardless of where it started, it doesn't do Johnny Cage any favors.

Huh? Of course it does.
Crossovers I want: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct, and Tekken vs. Dead or Alive/Virtua Fighter
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: MKScorpion

MKScorpion
2 months ago#18
The thing is he has always had the green energy powers...but in MKX they made it seem like he just found out about it and thing about the Cage's only being able to tap into it when somebody dear to them is being hurt was very anime lol

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
2 months ago#19
MKScorpion posted...
The thing is he has always had the green energy powers...but in MKX they made it seem like he just found out about it and thing about the Cage's only being able to tap into it when somebody dear to them is being hurt was very anime lol

It's not that. He can use his normal green power, but there's a "super" variation that let him and cassie match Shinnok that only unlocks in such situations.

Which apparently is what went out of control in his MK9 ending.
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362~K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
2 months ago#20
guedesbrawl posted...
MKScorpion posted...

It's not that. He can use his normal green power, but there's a "super" variation that let him and cassie match Shinnok that only unlocks in such situations.

Which apparently is what went out of control in his MK9 ending.

Which has itself become an anime cliche. And it's been a while but I vaguely remember the green energy being referenced as a consequence of the power itself, not a separate thing. Cassie even starts glowing green when she fights Shinnok. But the real kicker isn't the fact that they injected Super Saiyan powers into the game but how arbitrarily they've been assigned. What Johnny Cage does in-game is no more outrageous than any other character, and is in fact less outrageous than many. But now his special moves come from inherited super powers? It'd be like if Street Fighter reveals that Ken is special because "See?! He throws fireballs!"

SSBR10 posted...
CVGuile posted...

Huh? Of course it does.

No, it doesn't. It takes a lot away from him. Johnny Cage's character arc from self-absorbed Hollywood actor to hero relies on him being out of his element--a talented but otherwise ordinary martial artist up against gods, monsters, and sorcerers he didn't even know existed before the first tournament. Pepper in a plot point that makes him a descendant of those same gods, monsters, and sorcerers and now he's not punching way above his weight class anymore.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Why is Johnny Cage an anime protagonist now?