You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Why is Johnny Cage an anime protagonist now?

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
1 month ago#1
I'm talking about this weird s*** introduced in MKX where he apparently now has some kind of mysterious hidden power and passed it on to Cassie. I don't even have much to say on it other than pointing out how strange it is. Like what's the deal? A lot of things in the previous two MKs feel out of place but this is weird in a different way because it took something that was easy to just let exist as a normal component of Johnny Cage's fight mechanics--the green fireballs and shadow trails--and suddenly made it special among all the other crazy powers on display in the franchise. He was cool as a Hollywood martial artist who got caught up in an interdimensional tournament and managed to hold his own. Now he's like a shonen protagonist drawing on a well of hidden potential to save the day.

User Info: BombermanGold

BombermanGold
1 month ago#2
Blame the usual craziness of the guys at NRS (and when they were Midway before!) of taking small snippets of past games and going all the way with em.

The Cage's 'hidden power' was referenced has them been having it as long as their purposefully bred by the gods ancestors had it, back in MK9 (Johnny Cage's arcade ending).

Guess they figured it would be something cool to run with, so here we are.
"I will be your superhero!!!"
STEAM ID: BombermanGOLDEN

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
1 month ago#3
CVGuile posted...
I'm talking about this weird s*** introduced in MKX where he apparently now has some kind of mysterious hidden power and passed it on to Cassie. I don't even have much to say on it other than pointing out how strange it is. Like what's the deal? A lot of things in the previous two MKs feel out of place but this is weird in a different way because it took something that was easy to just let exist as a normal component of Johnny Cage's fight mechanics--the green fireballs and shadow trails--and suddenly made it special among all the other crazy powers on display in the franchise. He was cool as a Hollywood martial artist who got caught up in an interdimensional tournament and managed to hold his own. Now he's like a shonen protagonist drawing on a well of hidden potential to save the day.

It wasn't really a "normal" component, so they just ran with it.
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362~K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: Jin_Sakazaki

Jin_Sakazaki
1 month ago#4
They had to find a way for him to beat Shinnok.

Cuz Shinnok's so cool *eye roll*
Tonight I dine on turtler soup.....
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
1 month ago#5
guedesbrawl posted...
CVGuile posted...

It wasn't really a "normal" component, so they just ran with it.

It is in the context of MK. Sonya sets people on fire by blowing a kiss, Liu Kang throws fireballs, Kabal runs around like the Flash. But Johnny Cage is special?

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
1 month ago#6
I mean as, something you can neatly explain.

As long as it was "just magic" then you could do something like that.

The true problem is how it never did anything in the first timeline, and in this case it's not like "it was retconned" works.
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362~K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: goodJT

goodJT
1 month ago#7
He even has daddy issues if what he said to his past self is any clue
AKA Tykronos/Ryltex,The Glass Wraith of Gamefaqs.
https://i.imgur.com/78v9AxX.png https://i.imgur.com/1GEFq8L.png it's now a thing.

User Info: werewolfgold

werewolfgold
1 month ago#8
CVGuile posted...
It is in the context of MK. Sonya sets people on fire by blowing a kiss, Liu Kang throws fireballs, Kabal runs around like the Flash. But Johnny Cage is special?

They've tried to give more and more "plausible" explanations for stuff as time goes on via retcons. Sonya and Jax have apparently always used tech. The Shaolin have chi mastery. Sub-Zero is actually descended from an Outworld race. Kabal got exposed to Outworld magic. Johnny Cage has "The Green". Etc.

It doesn't always logically work 100%. But, it's not just Cage that got some newfangled explanation that wasn't quite there before for why he has powers.
Mangetsu no yoru ni mata aou ka?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DreamwingNero

DreamwingNero
1 month ago#9
Got nothing to add to the thread but I was watching some mk videos mostly the cutscenes and I liked JC's character, more entertaining quips and swagger than the average Marvel film.

User Info: SSBR10

SSBR10
1 month ago#10
This wasn't just introduced in MKX. It was already mentioned in his MK9 bio where it says that Johnny Cage is a descendant of an ancient Mediterranean cult who bred warriors for the gods and their powers are "beyond the mortals". That's why he has those abilities.
Crossovers I want: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct, and Tekken vs. Dead or Alive/Virtua Fighter
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Why is Johnny Cage an anime protagonist now?