You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Is Smash Bros a Fighting Game?

User Info: Master Kazuya

Master Kazuya
1 month ago#31
This might be worth its own topic, but I digress.

After 10+ years of this meme and hearing compelling arguments on both sides, it's a definite "yes Smash Bros is a fighter".

The same skillset I use to play SF2 competitively is used in Smash Bros. Maybe not expressed the exact same way, but you can't play MvC3 like SF2 either. And not even like, just a few of the skills carry over. Like literally everything and more carries over.

The FG genre is stale. It's so stale! And one reason for its staleness is the reluctance of its fans to accept experimentation.

Smash Bros is a game that bends and twists the mechanics of fighting games but it never like, fully breaks them. If only people would hear it out. It actually expands on concepts in fighting games in lots of ways. I think one of the most interesting things in Smash Bros is that in FGs, it's moreso about understanding the rules of what's good and what's not. In Smash Bros, there's that, but there's also an additional layer of understanding the engine and physics itself, because those are constantly changing. Which means you have to understand how the game itself works.

After playing Melee competitively for like, several years now, I finally see that the FG genre is SO much further back than it could be because "diehard" fans don't accept any sort of expansion on the rules and wont give it a chance. It's a shame but it is what it is.
itt my post is the best
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
1 month ago#32
Master Kazuya posted...

Smash Bros is a game that bends and twists the mechanics of fighting games but it never like, fully breaks them. If only people would hear it out. It actually expands on concepts in fighting games in lots of ways.

I think no other part of Smash shows this better than when you are backed up against "the corner".

In traditional fighters this only means you have less room to move and that the opponent has more combos to work with. I say "only" but yes, it is very meaningful in practice.

But smash takes you from the battlefield to the air. You don't just have less space, you have less options since all your ground moves are gone (almost every character is unable to contest shields as a result), you are put in a state where a single mistake loses you a entire stock.

Yet, if the opponent chases after you, it's a chance to swing the entire match around. Being off-stage is much more dangerous and exciting than being against a invisible wall
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362~K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You
Yes this game is a fighting game only people who say no are the ones who didn't learn to adapt to it.
XBOX ONE Still Number ONE and it's not smart to be dumb.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aj4VuXIm9mqSgzQnQ2u-5NKBHKZJ

User Info: BabaBzaa

BabaBzaa
1 month ago#34
Smash is not a fighting game.

-you can literally die from a guess despite kicking ass.
-Stages with platforms are acceptable
-The excuse for stages with platforms being allowed with/above flat stages is "well some characters are better on flat stages than battlefield". Screw jump-ins to punish projectiles when they can hide under a platform safely
-The running away is freaking ridiculous
In the online competitive mode, having casual stages and items is an option, and you STILL build/lose GSP under those circumstances.
Currently playing:. FPWW

User Info: SSBR10

SSBR10
1 month ago#35
^I see a lot of complaining but no actual points.
Crossovers I want: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct, and Tekken vs. Dead or Alive/Virtua Fighter

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 weeks ago#36
SSBR10 posted...
^I see a lot of complaining but no actual points.

Thats all you'll really see on both sides tbh, but ofc that won't stop this topic from coming up every week or two...

Do people really care what it's classified as? If so, why?

Personally I think it's a topic for s***ty trolls to start arguments, but w/e.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Is Smash Bros a Fighting Game?