You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Did movies like Bloodsport influence early fighting games?

User Info: InsaneGamer137

InsaneGamer137
4 weeks ago#1
I would say yes
Proud Grand Theft Auto and Ace Combat Fan Boy

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
4 weeks ago#2
MK1 was originally based off Bloodsport (or at least a close approximation of it), but otherwise I don't believe so.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: HaohmaruOfFire

HaohmaruOfFire
4 weeks ago#3
Bloodsport the game

Then Team MK was going to work on a new star wars game.

Then Team Mk had to make MK 2. Under contract.

Mileena is a name play on Mylee from Kickboxer. The 2 M's.

MK 3 made Sheeva.

Then UMK3 fixed some mistakes.

MK 4 is something I won't play again until I learn to like Samurai Shodown 7. I probably will love SS 7.
Johnny FountainS on youtube
My job is grading first grade papers, not eating donuts

User Info: mach25687

mach25687
4 weeks ago#4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hC6FPDJsgk
Best damn game about Ninja http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/ninjagolf/ninjagolf-flashgame.php

User Info: Lost7th

Lost7th
4 weeks ago#5
Very much so. All of the major fighting games where in some part inspired by martial arts movies in some way shape or form.

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
4 weeks ago#6
Lost7th posted...
Very much so. All of the major fighting games where in some part inspired by martial arts movies in some way shape or form.

Which is why it's a sad shame that all of the major fighting games (except Street Fighter) have drastically lowered the martial arts influence in favor of waifu pandering. Tekken 7 got rid of every single Black man and replaced them with women, lol. Mortal Kombat is doing it's own thing, some weird sci-fi fantasy crap that I don't like at all, but it's popular with Americans.

MK was way cooler back when it was just a Bloodsport rip-off except the made the Jean Claude Van Damme character a joke and the main bad guy (who inspired Liu Kang) into a hero.

EDIT: Street Fighter may have increased the amount of waifus but they're all still martial arts based. The most waifu character that SF has is Sakura who still fits a martial arts motif. I don't see any Tekken Alicia or Lili or DOA Honoka running around in SF. Karin is kinda similar to Lili in terms of design but her actual fighting style reminds me of chinese kenpo or some form of Bajiquan.

The biggest 'waifu' character of SFV, Laura Matsuda is the most martial arts grounded of the bunch as she's meant to be an off shoot of the Gracie-jiujitsu family. I don't see this attention to detail coming from other fighting games who just throw in a bunch of random waifus with random ass movesets (Honoka) & then call it a day.

Capcom fighters do have Ingrid who is similar to the tripe of Alcia & Honoka but she's never been made official in the SF games.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: SSBR10

SSBR10
4 weeks ago#7
MK1 was influenced by both Bloodsport and Enter the Dragon.

HopesPeak posted...
Which is why it's a sad shame that all of the major fighting games (except Street Fighter) have drastically lowered the martial arts influence in favor of waifu pandering. Tekken 7 got rid of every single Black man and replaced them with women, lol. Mortal Kombat is doing it's own thing, some weird sci-fi fantasy crap that I don't like at all, but it's popular with Americans.

MK was way cooler back when it was just a Bloodsport rip-off except the made the Jean Claude Van Damme character a joke and the main bad guy (who inspired Liu Kang) into a hero.

Liu Kang is based on Bruce Lee and all of the major fighting games have sci-fi fantasy elements to them. It's not just an MK thing. Plus MK has always been influenced by pop-culture entertainment, especially movies, so none of this is anything new for fans who have been following the series.
Crossovers I want: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct, and Tekken vs. Dead or Alive/Virtua Fighter
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Benimaru

Benimaru
3 weeks ago#8
I believe it did, the whole underground tournament or tournament setting in general with people using multiple fighting styles etc I would say yes

User Info: Benimaru

Benimaru
3 weeks ago#9
I personally always wanted a true Bloodsport game

User Info: KillerKhan420

KillerKhan420
3 weeks ago#10
Bloodsport, enter the dragon and especially big trouble in little China influenced the original mk game. Lo pan=Shang and of course lightning=raiden
"I know how the business works because I'm a wrestling fan"-hulkhogan1
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Did movies like Bloodsport influence early fighting games?