You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer

User Info: saint311

saint311
4 weeks ago#31
A solid list, besides including Smash. Props for Tekken 7 and Xrd being so high. Maybe AC+R should be included. I think MKX and SC6 should be lower. I think DBFZ should be significantly lower. Inj2 should be out. KI (2013) should be in. Skullgirls and UMvC3 should be higher. But I haven't seen the video so I'm not sure of the criteria. If I were to think Smash is deserving on the list, their respective spots are good.

Overall, tho, a really good list, imo.

KingzJuster posted...
DBZ FighterZ is also rather high for it to still be relatively new. Same with Soul Calibur 6.

Also somewhat surprised that SoulCalibur is over MvC2. Both games are popular, but MvC2 is...MvC2.

Glad to see Skullgirls on the list too.

bold = I agree.

unbolded, well... I haven't seen the video, but maybe it was really close in their minds? Both games were pretty strong pioneers in their subgenres (3D and tag). I can't hate the choice b/c I liked SC better than MvC2 myself. But I do confer that MvC2 was way more popular. But the list isn't just purely popularity is it? Again, haven't seen the video.
currently playing - MK11 Kotal Kahn or Jacqui Briggs | DoA6 Ayane | BB:CTB Hyde/Chie
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: shin_mcgoo

shin_mcgoo
4 weeks ago#32
List was made by Game(stop) Informer. Intern probably Googled a list of fighting games, put them on a board, then threw darts at it to figure out the order.

SC6, DOA4, BB, and Injustass 2?! On a GOAT list?
"That was quite a mouthful! I guess you're used to that kind of thing."

User Info: gamestop27

gamestop27
4 weeks ago#33
Tekken 7 on the list but not T5DR? f*** outta here.
PSN- Sratos0027 (Dipset Anthem>>>>National Anthem)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Pawn: Hilda- Level 200 Sorcerer

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
4 weeks ago#34
Where are the UFC games? They belong more than smash does.

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
4 weeks ago#35
Two KoF games and no SNK vs CAPCOM (the handheld one)... No justice.

But it is a broad spectrum noatalgia fest.
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~

User Info: Camc10

Camc10
4 weeks ago#36
str8Knowledge posted...

I think they disallowed Sports games like UFC/WWE and others
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/Cam10_84
https://psnprofiles.com/Cam10__84

User Info: Depoinvil

Depoinvil
4 weeks ago#37
I at least agree with 3rd Strike being number 1. The mechanics, the gameplay, the music, the artwork, the music, everything was top notch. No fighting game has taken more of my time than 3S.
''The gaming industry is the only industry where it's not the norm to expect the product that you purchased to be working out of the gate ." -- RTUSA

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
4 weeks ago#38
I knew it was going to be Turd Strike before I even clicked the thread. Never change Game Informer, they don't really inform anything. They're game conformers who just take the general opinion of the internet as gospel.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

HopesPeak
4 weeks ago#39
Camc10 posted...
str8Knowledge posted...

I think they disallowed Sports games like UFC/WWE and others

I disagree that UFC & WWE belong more than Smash does and I'm a fan of WWE games. They go way more for realism even though 2k19 has teleports & powered up Dragon Ball Z style super punches & s***. It's still far more realistic than Smash. Smash's over the top nature blends in more with fighters.

UFC & WWE could only realistically blend in with 3d fighters, and that's only if you got rid of that juggle combo lameness from Tekken, Virtua Fighter & Dead or Alive.

HopesPeak
4 weeks ago#40
How the hell does unbalanced crap like DOA4 make the list? Granted the list was already invalidated by the time Smash Bros. Melee hit number 2. It's obvious that Game Conformer has no idea what they're talking about when unbalanced broke pieces of s*** can simultaneously be both near the top of the list & near the bottom of the top list.

DOA5 was the only time DOA ever got gud if you don't include DOA6. I don't expect game journalists to actually understand the intricacies of combat systems which is why I wouldn't had minded DOA5 LR over DOA6, but they didn't even do that. They just went with DOA 4, the game that has the YUGEST fanbase of Waifu-scum, lol.

EDIT: What I mean to say is that DOA4 generally has the most positive reception among DOA fans, who aren't fighting game fans. They're just dorks who masturbate to anime. This goes hand in hand with how I believe that Game Informer is just conforming with internet bias. Actual fighting game fans would only be able to stomach DOA5 or 6.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer