You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer

User Info: HaohmaruOfFire

HaohmaruOfFire
4 weeks ago#11
sf is old

dbz isn't for me

I love SS 2. MK X, Injustice 2 and Killer Instinct 1.
Johnny FountainS on youtube
My job is grading first grade papers, not eating donuts

User Info: 90sNinja

90sNinja
4 weeks ago#12
I watched part of it, and yeah I'm hearing a lot of "Samurai Shodown 2 was the best one right guys?" and "well everyone knows Melee was the best Smash" and "well we had to have Killer Instinct on there". Basically sounds like a committee project, but then you have all the weird picks. So you get all the games everybody "knows" are good to give you some legitimacy, and then bam! DOA4!
If life was meant to be easy, then everyone would be doing it.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
DreamwingNero posted...
90sNinja posted...
List looks more like a representation fest.

I'm imagining there's a lot of personal nostalgia

This.

It's like a list that just trawls through whichever gets mentioned most and personal/subjective nostalgia.

KOF13 is not better than KOF14. It's even a bad fighting game overall that gets no love from any dedicated groups like other games. After the dust settled and people acclimatized to the characters and gameplay, they found it's so tier heavy and dependent on the same bar-building last character ToD cheese.

KOF2002 UM is also not recognized as the best by far, but it has it's fans. Worldwide it's not the most popular. The best KOF is the one that organically has accumulated fans and a player base as they naturally gravitate to what's best. If 2k2UM was 'launched aligned' on fightcade (yea I know not gonna happen) with original 2k2, people would naturally gravitate towards original 2k2 as the more played game over time.

The top 25 most played games on FightCade
https://twitter.com/fightcade/status/608672067249172480
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/6d37z6/most_popular_fightcade_games/

^ this is outdated too, 2k2 has widened the gap further. UM has a lot of problems. It's not made by the same developer (SNK Playmore Korea = 2k2, new people = 2k2UM) and is unacceptably sloppy and unbalanced, it might as well be called Nameless and Friends (K, Kasumi, Chris). Because that's the bulk of tournaments include those characters mostly. The people who like UM best probably appreciate it's positives more than looking at the tournament-level gameplay (more characters, stages and bigger budget). But those things don't create a dedicated playerbase years after.

I don't think Third Strike should not be no.1, but not undeserving of a top 5. Mostly because of how tier heavy it is, and took years before it built enough recognition after release in 1999. I'd put Super Turbo just above it.

Wouldn't be it possible that original 02 is played that much because 02 UM isn't available on Fightcade? It's only on Steam which I doubt as many people would wanna pay to play and the connection isn't as good as Fightcade. 02 UM is still played actively in tournaments and those seem to be way more frequent than 02.

Also most played would prolly be 97 due to China alone, but overall original 98 seems to get most often regarded as "best".

User Info: DreamwingNero

DreamwingNero
4 weeks ago#14
bullhogderbaxer posted...

Wouldn't be it possible that original 02 is played that much because 02 UM isn't available on Fightcade? It's only on Steam which I doubt as many people would wanna pay to play and the connection isn't as good as Fightcade. 02 UM is still played actively in tournaments and those seem to be way more frequent than 02.

Also most played would prolly be 97 due to China alone, but overall original 98 seems to get most often regarded as "best".

97 still played in China but not biggest played worldwide in the last decade. They just follow what everyone else plays and 97 got critical mass to become the staple there. Nothing wrong with that still.

98 is not regarded as the best. No metric supports that, except forum posts who are only going by nostalgia and what they think. Fightcade even has all time stats.

All time stats kof 2002 (page takes long to load/calculate current numbers):
http://www.fightcade.com/game/kof2002
Old Screenshot: https://tinyurl.com/ycsfgexe

All time stats for kof98 (page takes long to load/calculate current numbers):
http://www.fightcade.com/game/kof98
Old Screenshot: https://tinyurl.com/yaarvbes

^ 2k2 higher than 98 by a considerable amount and gap has widened since.

2k2um still has it's fans and support in Japan, did some things better as an upgrade (some things were side-grades/worse - upscaled characters). Probably more support in arcades than 2k2 still, but that doesn't make it the better game for tournaments (imo). They made a Tougeki version with balance changes and it was still heavy lopsided unbalanced. KOF13 also was affected adversely with too large a tier gap (MrKarate/Kim/Flame Iori).

User Info: BabaBzaa

BabaBzaa
4 weeks ago#15
Great, more fuel for Melee elitists to piss on all the other Smashes and not sit their collective asses down.
Currently playing:. FPWW

User Info: BabaBzaa

BabaBzaa
4 weeks ago#16
I need to slow down btw. I own 21 out of 30 and that's not even half my FG collection.
Currently playing:. FPWW

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
4 weeks ago#17
BabaBzaa posted...
Great, more fuel for Melee elitists to piss on all the other Smashes and not sit their collective asses down.

Game's objectively better, more skillful, and more competitive than any Smash ever made excluding PM. This is factual information.

Deal with it.
atpRtsd
LOOK HERE, LOOK LISTEN!

User Info: ProbesInRobes

ProbesInRobes
4 weeks ago#18
Fraud list melee should be #1

User Info: KingzJuster

KingzJuster
4 weeks ago#19
Surprised Tekken 7 is so high up, but then again, it is an awesome game despite lack of customization and too many guests.

DBZ FighterZ is also rather high for it to still be relatively new. Same with Soul Calibur 6.

Also somewhat surprised that SoulCalibur is over MvC2. Both games are popular, but MvC2 is...MvC2.

Glad to see Skullgirls on the list too.

Overall, not a terrible list, though. Just a few questionable choices IMO.

...and is it bad that I own more than half of the list?? >_>
Always bet on me.
PSN: KingzJuster
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Pitaya

Pitaya
4 weeks ago#20
DigitechX posted...
Any old publication that ranks Third Strike at the top can go f*** themselves. Every single one of them gave SF3 s*** back in the day for being a 2D game during a 3D wave and took a s*** all over it for not including the world warriors and wouldn't give it a fair shake. No, I don't care that whoever made this list may not have been with them back then.

Game Informer rated Third Strike pretty highly back then, actually. Granted, they gave Soulcalibur a higher score.

Personally I'm just glad Skullgirls made the list. That said, considering most people on this board could floor anyone on Game Informer's writing staff at any fighting game released, I wouldn't put too much stock in the list or order.
I solemnly swear that I aim to misbehave.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer