You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer

User Info: Camc10

Camc10
4 weeks ago#1
1.Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (1999)
2.Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)
3.Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994)
4.Mortal Kombat II (1993)
5.Soulcalibur (1998)
6.Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (2000)
7.Tekken 7 (2015)
8.Guilty Gear Xrd REV2 (2017)
9.Samurai Shodown II (1994)
10.Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v2012 (2012)
11.Capcom vs. SNK 2 (2001)
12.The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match (2009)
13.Vampire Savior (1997)
14.Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (2010)
15.Garou: Mark of the Wolves (1999)
16.Dragon Ball FighterZ (2018)
17.Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)
18.Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
19.Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
20.Mortal Kombat X (2015)
21.Soulcalibur VI (2018)
22.Tekken 3 (1997)
23.Killer Instinct (1994)
24.Skullgirls (2012)
25.Bushido Blade (1997)
26.The King of Fighters XIII (2010)
27.BlazBlue: Central Fiction (2015)
28.Dead or Alive 4 (2005)
29.Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (2013)
30.Injustice 2 (2017)
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/Cam10_84
https://psnprofiles.com/Cam10__84

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
4 weeks ago#2
Weird list.

Injustice 2, DoA 4, and SoulCal 6 have no place on there.

And a bunch more are way too high, or just suspiciously missing.
atpRtsd
LOOK HERE, LOOK LISTEN!

User Info: green dragon

green dragon
4 weeks ago#3
super surprised to see bushido blade up there (I love that game and its sequel).

glad to see dark stalkers up there

User Info: 90sNinja

90sNinja
4 weeks ago#4
List looks more like a representation fest, who seriously puts MK2 in a top 10 of all time? I don't even like NRS games that much and I'd put any of them over any pre-NRS MK. But we wouldn't want to give the impression that MK was a cultural icon purely because of its aesthetics, and people say MK2 was the best of the 2D games, so there it is one spot over SoulCalibur.

I'll grant that when you expand the list to 30 instead of 10 you have a lot more room for pet picks, so sure, Skullgirls and DOA, whatever. A little bizarre that other games like SFIV get specific versions pointed out but Skullgirls 2012 with eight characters, now that was a game.

I'm imagining there's a lot of personal nostalgia in at least the bottom of this list once they get past the "gotta make sure to mention Third Strike!" picks because I'm not sure who would put DOA4 in a top anything aside from Halo fans.
If life was meant to be easy, then everyone would be doing it.

User Info: DreamwingNero

DreamwingNero
4 weeks ago#5
90sNinja posted...
List looks more like a representation fest.

I'm imagining there's a lot of personal nostalgia

This.

It's like a list that just trawls through whichever gets mentioned most and personal/subjective nostalgia.

KOF13 is not better than KOF14. It's even a bad fighting game overall that gets no love from any dedicated groups like other games. After the dust settled and people acclimatized to the characters and gameplay, they found it's so tier heavy and dependent on the same bar-building last character ToD cheese.

KOF2002 UM is also not recognized as the best by far, but it has it's fans. Worldwide it's not the most popular. The best KOF is the one that organically has accumulated fans and a player base as they naturally gravitate to what's best. If 2k2UM was 'launched aligned' on fightcade (yea I know not gonna happen) with original 2k2, people would naturally gravitate towards original 2k2 as the more played game over time.

The top 25 most played games on FightCade
https://twitter.com/fightcade/status/608672067249172480
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/6d37z6/most_popular_fightcade_games/

^ this is outdated too, 2k2 has widened the gap further. UM has a lot of problems. It's not made by the same developer (SNK Playmore Korea = 2k2, new people = 2k2UM) and is unacceptably sloppy and unbalanced, it might as well be called Nameless and Friends (K, Kasumi, Chris). Because that's the bulk of tournaments include those characters mostly. The people who like UM best probably appreciate it's positives more than looking at the tournament-level gameplay (more characters, stages and bigger budget). But those things don't create a dedicated playerbase years after.

I don't think Third Strike should not be no.1, but not undeserving of a top 5. Mostly because of how tier heavy it is, and took years before it built enough recognition after release in 1999. I'd put Super Turbo just above it.

User Info: marchefelix

marchefelix
4 weeks ago#6
I’m surprised KOF is there at all (let alone two games), seeing how they still believe the “KOF is a poor man’s SF” bulls***.

They rated SFxT higher than KOF XIII for god’s sake.

f*** Game Informer.
Why am I a magnet for worthless morons?
8/8/2018 - K. Rool was finally added to Smash Bros.

User Info: DigitechX

DigitechX
4 weeks ago#7
Any old publication that ranks Third Strike at the top can go f*** themselves. Every single one of them gave SF3 s*** back in the day for being a 2D game during a 3D wave and took a s*** all over it for not including the world warriors and wouldn't give it a fair shake. No, I don't care that whoever made this list may not have been with them back then.
I M P R E S S I V E N I N J A S K I L L S

User Info: 90sNinja

90sNinja
4 weeks ago#8
DreamwingNero posted...
I don't think Third Strike should not be no.1, but not undeserving of a top 5. Mostly because of how tier heavy it is, and took years before it built enough recognition after release in 1999. I'd put Super Turbo just above it.

That always rings weird for me whenever people put 3 at the top of a list, feels like just because of the EVO moment everyone namedrops it to show how down they are. The cool thing about the SF series is that each numbered entry is so different you could make arguments for why you consider each one to be your best, but nah everybody just goes "Third Strike hype!" The rule seems to be if you don't know fighting games you go with 2, if you do you go 3.

I feel like I should read the actual list to see if they go into detail on their selections but something tells me I'd just be reading a lot of ad copy, like when everyone wouldn't shut up about how much Ratchet & Clank looks like a Pixar film.
If life was meant to be easy, then everyone would be doing it.

User Info: bigtiggie23

bigtiggie23
4 weeks ago#9
One spot for VF and they give it to the one designed around online play, what a surprise. VF4 Evo was a more complete package.
"And your T-shirts are too tight too Billy!"

User Info: Camc10

Camc10
4 weeks ago#10
90sNinja posted...
DreamwingNero posted...

That always rings weird for me whenever people put 3 at the top of a list, feels like just because of the EVO moment everyone namedrops it to show how down they are. The cool thing about the SF series is that each numbered entry is so different you could make arguments for why you consider each one to be your best, but nah everybody just goes "Third Strike hype!" The rule seems to be if you don't know fighting games you go with 2, if you do you go 3.

I feel like I should read the actual list to see if they go into detail on their selections but something tells me I'd just be reading a lot of ad copy, like when everyone wouldn't shut up about how much Ratchet & Clank looks like a Pixar film.

https://youtu.be/uzNAxyCK6_s they did do a podcast with some guys from GI talking about the list and what they thought about it but I'll check later if the magazine has details.
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/Cam10_84
https://psnprofiles.com/Cam10__84
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Top 30 Fighting Games of All Time from Game Informer