You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Jax isn't waiting centuries for people to get woke in MK11 *spoilers*

User Info: Lord_Shadow_19

Lord_Shadow_19
3 weeks ago#41
bIuerain posted...
I agree that it's not good character writing (Jax unsarcastically talking about wokeness is silly, it comes off as "greetings fellow kids"-ish), but that's not the argument being made. People ITT are literally whining that NRS is apparently pushing their politics on them and it's like... the ending is about a black guy using a time machine to end slavery. How is that even political? What element of that is controversial?

It's completely out of character, especially for an older guy like Jax who never experienced any of the problems hes talking about, nor have any of the other dark skinned characters in the game. Also keep in mind, that the last 20 years were spent in a ruined world where EVERYONE was fighting for survival because it was ravaged by Outland.

And what the f*** does slavery have to do with anything, nobody ever tried arguing that slavery being bad was a controversial opinion. Maybe you should take your ass back to 261 and go back to resisting Trump instead of making up bulls*** strawmen because you have no real argument.
Yang 2020

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
3 weeks ago#42
Maybe he can still turn into a giant and step on all the racists?
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN

User Info: bIuerain

bIuerain
3 weeks ago#43
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
It's completely out of character, especially for an older guy like Jax who never experienced any of the problems hes talking about, nor have any of the other dark skinned characters in the game. Also keep in mind, that the last 20 years were spent in a ruined world where EVERYONE was fighting for survival because it was ravaged by Outland.

Why is it a rule that you have to personally experience it to care about historical atrocities? That's such a dumb argument. I'm an Ottawa indian, the genocide of my people mostly occurred about two centuries before I was born. But since it's an obvious injustice that still happened, I might've done the same kind of thing. Like, would it be radically out of character if Johnny Cage's goofy cornball ass decided "hell yea I'm go to use my time machine to forever immortalize myself as the guy that killed Hitler"? Not really. So you're telling me if Jax's daughter did this with her ending instead of Jax himself, ya'll would suddenly have zero issue with it whatsoever? Somehow I really doubt that.

Like, you're talking about a fantasy series heavily inspired by kung fu movies and especially comic books. Countless sprawling non-canon "what if" scenarios come with the territory. MK11 in particular is ripe for time-travel wish fulfillment type endings. In Kano's ending, since he's one of the bad guys, he decides to reshape history in his image. He realizes it's a hollow victory and remakes history again so he can go back to being an underdog villain. No one's whining about how out of character this is. Jax, as one of the good guys in MKX, decides to right one of history's most obvious wrongs, one specifically inflicted on his people. He even says, "if I don't, what kind of man am I?" ... because he's one of the good guys. Suddenly, this is out of character and not okay!

s***, watching more of the endings on YouTube, that's pretty much what MOST of the characters do in their endings. They use the time machine for to better the station of their particular people / faction. From Sub-Zero to Jade to Kano to Jax. But for some reason it's fine when Sub-Zero's and Frost's endings are about making the world more favorable toward the Lin Kuei, or the evil bug lady has her bug people take over the world (lol she ACTUALLY kills all the humans, which is what people ITT are trying to say Jax did to white people). But when Jax does the same kind of thing, suddenly it's a political statement and we need to raise the alarms.
go team venture!

bIuerain
3 weeks ago#44
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
And what the f*** does slavery have to do with anything

LMAO, dude, YOU'RE the exact same guy who was trying to say Jax, one of the series most central good guys, might've committed white genocide because you saw a picture of seven entire black people.

Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Jax making a world great for those he knows such as friends and family would make sense sure, but possibly becoming a racist out of nowhere and possibly committing genocide doesn't seem to suit his character based on past games.

Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
DeathVelvien posted...
I seriously have no idea how the living f*** people are interpreting this as Jax having changed history so that whites were enslaved/possibly genocided off the planet entirely, or how this makes him "racist."

The last panel shows a picture of a scene in America with only blacks, it's a stretch to say its white genocide sure, but then so is Jax suddenly becoming woke out of nowhere.

Also, being anti-white is a common thing among the woke populace.

Holy s*** dude you're an absolute f***ing cornball, it's hilarious.

The ending literally features Jax saying "sure I've had it easy, but not everyone else did" and then it shows a picture of some slaves and then plays the sound of a whip cracking. The incredibly f***ing obvious implication is that Jax wanted to use the time machine to end slavery. But here your goofy ass is going "hurrrrrr what does slavery have to do with anything durrrrr" in the exact same topic you go "well Jax quite possibly did white genocide because I saw a picture of some black people!" Just, lol dude, just how the hell did you manage to twist your brain into this many pretzels?

I once told you "Your tiny brain can't see anything except in terms of us-vs-them tribalism." And god, you do a fantastic job of proving me right every time you open your mouth.
go team venture!

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
3 weeks ago#45
This is a dumb discussion filled with people trying their hardest not to understand each other.

This isn't hard.

Is the concept of the scene terrible? Jax going back and righting the wrong of slavery (for one particular group of people despite the practice having been used to subjugate all kinds of people throughout history) isn't a bad thing and WE ALL KNOW NO ONE HERE IS SAYING THAT IT IS.

People here are talking about A VIDEO GAME. Not slavery. It's stupid that we've got into the habit of changing the standards of how we judge media based on the message in such a cynical, crap flinging way. If he changed the world into a bunch of Barakas that would be stupid only people wouldn't get offended that you didn't like it because there's no "message" there.

You can criticize the delivery separate from the message.

I saw the ending. It was cute. It was positive. It was actually very ignorant which is what made it very human. It seemed like what someone who suddenly had the ability to change history would do.

The way the ending is presented sets it up perfectly (it's actually a very stupid and very smart ending at the same time). There's Jax with the power to change things and Raiden's warning about changing too much catches him off guard. Nothing in the ending says he has a time limit to make a decision but it certainly comes off like he doesn't have time to sit and deliberate for a few months.

The stupid stuff Jax says (most people who looked like me didn't have the chance) comes across as if most blacks were slaves (untrue) but are statements you hear very often because a lot of people (not just black people) believe them. That inaccuracy adds some humanity to the ending. Jax is a solder. He isn't a historian or a college professor. He choose to tackle the biggest issue he could think of. Zeroing in on a black issue tints his efforts with selfishness and pride which make the behavior all the more human.

I don't think the developers thought about it THAT deeply. They probably think the exact same way.

Then there's the other side.

THIS IS MORTAL KONFLICT. This ending is a HUGE tonal change from what the series is traditionally known for and it makes it feel out of place. Mortal Kombat has been trying to shift their characters away from the ahole archetypes they used to be but it's a hard sell when there's still so much gratuitous violence. Moreso than ever, to be frank.

A person can take issue with the tonal clash, the ham-fisted insertion of the issue of (one era of) slavery or the simple-minded backdrop of Jax's motivations. They can also take issue with the fact that a lot of games and media are trying to insert these kinds of issues in their games and even if this one was a legit, no strings attached random idea someone had because they thought it would be cool it still gets caught up in all of that by proxy just like if someone decides to create some dumb@$$ genero anime chick character because they've had the idea since they were a kid in the 90s it still is irksome because it's happening so often. One bad apple etc. etc.

The sad part is you guys aren't at odds. Some people are trying to play it that way because "social issues" and that's how people run it but it's really silly. This isn't about slavery. It's about a video game ending.

bIuerain
3 weeks ago#46
Dark Symphony posted...
THIS IS MORTAL KONFLICT. This ending is a HUGE tonal change from what the series is traditionally known for and it makes it feel out of place.

That would be great if that was the argument being made ITT. It's not. Read the thread, you're actually the first person to even bring up if it's in with MK's tone or not or if it's in place with the series. s***, the thread actually starts out with a hysterical post about how SJWs are going to destroy MK.

Peronsally, I don't think the ending is very good (Kano's is WAY cooler), but I think it fits right in with MK's corny pulp-fiction writing and Jax's character as a Professional Good Guy. The only issue is in the execution for me, not whether or not the idea of fitting.
go team venture!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

bIuerain
3 weeks ago#47
Dark Symphony posted...
Jax going back and righting the wrong of slavery (for one particular group of people despite the practice having been used to subjugate all kinds of people throughout history)

I think the implication of the ending was that, his initial goal was just the betterment of his own people, but after a few failures he realizes why that's not good enough and decides to broaden his horizons to other historical atrocities. The ending says he failed at least several times, but in the end, he made the world a better place "for ALL people." The ending is being intentionally vague because they don't want to make a political statement (and just for brevity's sake), but the implication to me was that Jax realized his error in narrowly focusing on black slavery in America and, over the course of several timelines, tried to "fix the world." The final shot has him grinning and going like "yes, you CAN have everything, dream big baby!"

s***, maybe I change my mind, this comes off as pretty decent writing. But it's also so vague that you see what you want to see in it. Such as white genocide for an example, lol.

Either way, old man Jax unsarcastically talking about getting woke reminds me of the Steven Buscemi "how do you do fellow kids" meme. Just putting that word in quotation brackets and changing his delivery to slightly sarcastic would have done wonders to make the end better, to perhaps imply his bitterness with young people. Or just not including it.
go team venture!

User Info: ljobenza

ljobenza
3 weeks ago#48
Holy f***ing s***. Not believing that SJWs are real and their influence on the world is beyond Holocaust deniers and flat earthers. Like holy f***ing s***.

bIuerain
3 weeks ago#49
ljobenza posted...
Holy f***ing s***. Not believing that SJWs are real and their influence on the world is beyond Holocaust deniers and flat earthers. Like holy f***ing s***.

L.M.A.O.

Did you actually read what you wrote here before hitting send? Cuz this is hilarious. "It's literally worse than holocaust denial!" Just, ahahaha. Good job man, knocked it out of the park.
go team venture!

User Info: ljobenza

ljobenza
3 weeks ago#50
bIuerain posted...
ljobenza posted...

L.M.A.O.

Did you actually read what you wrote here before hitting send? Cuz this is hilarious. "It's literally worse than holocaust denial!" Just, ahahaha. Good job man, knocked it out of the park.

Ah yes because there is absolutely nothing crazy about denying the fact that third-wave feminists and extreme liberals are an actual group that exists.

You do know the term SJW refer to those groups right? Or are you genuinely denying their existence?
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Jax isn't waiting centuries for people to get woke in MK11 *spoilers*