You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Jax isn't waiting centuries for people to get woke in MK11 *spoilers*

User Info: bIuerain

bIuerain
4 weeks ago#21
I can't honestly can't fathom seeing this and actually being made upset by it lol. The ending is literally just "black guy uses time machine to have prevented slavery." Basically a "go back in time and kill Hitler" type deal. Like I can't imagine being such a miserable little cretin.
go team venture!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Lord_Shadow_19

Lord_Shadow_19
4 weeks ago#22
Blue_Inigo posted...
bige85 posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Depoinvil posted...
I personally love it. As a black man, I'd do the same thing if such a power was given to me. I'd say I'm surprised that this is upsetting people but who am I kidding...

That isn't the issue, the issue is the politics involved with making such an ending, especially when people in the world of MK, or Jax in particular have never dealt with any kind of racism before that would cause the ending to make sense.

Jax doesn't have a history of being woke or a part of BLM or anything, the ending just doesn't make sense giving the circumstances. Jax making a world great for those he knows such as friends and family would make sense sure, but possibly becoming a racist out of nowhere and possibly committing genocide doesn't seem to suit his character based on past games.

This is my main problem with Jax's ending. It feel out of character for him.

How is it out of character for the african american who is a soldier and so patriotic that he drapes himself in the american flag in some of his victory animations to get rid of slavery? Calling this ending "SJW" is such a moronic thing.

Hahaha

Wow, you really will white knight developers no matter what wont you?
Yang 2020

User Info: Blue_Inigo

Blue_Inigo
4 weeks ago#23
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Blue_Inigo posted...
bige85 posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Depoinvil posted...
I personally love it. As a black man, I'd do the same thing if such a power was given to me. I'd say I'm surprised that this is upsetting people but who am I kidding...

That isn't the issue, the issue is the politics involved with making such an ending, especially when people in the world of MK, or Jax in particular have never dealt with any kind of racism before that would cause the ending to make sense.

Jax doesn't have a history of being woke or a part of BLM or anything, the ending just doesn't make sense giving the circumstances. Jax making a world great for those he knows such as friends and family would make sense sure, but possibly becoming a racist out of nowhere and possibly committing genocide doesn't seem to suit his character based on past games.

How is it out of character for the african american who is a soldier and so patriotic that he drapes himself in the american flag in some of his victory animations to get rid of slavery? Calling this ending "SJW" is such a moronic thing.

Hahaha

Wow, you really will white knight developers no matter what wont you?

Do you ever get tired of posting the dumbest s***? Especially about a character you know little about
"This is your last dance."

User Info: DeathVelvien

DeathVelvien
4 weeks ago#24
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
DeathVelvien posted...
I seriously have no idea how the living f*** people are interpreting this as Jax having changed history so that whites were enslaved/possibly genocided off the planet entirely, or how this makes him "racist."

The last panel shows a picture of a scene in America with only blacks.

The last panel shows a whole seven people, three of whom are Jax and his immediate family, with the rest quite possibly being his extended family, in a single street in America. Extrapolating that to "whites are slaves/dead" makes no logical sense whatsoever.
UNIST: Phonon | BBCTB: Orie/Izayoi | Smash Ultimate: Ridley | P4AU: Yukari | GGXrd: Venom | Arizona Diamondbacks: 7-9
https://imgtc.com/i/7OdpfSogwx.gif

bIuerain
4 weeks ago#25
DeathVelvien posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
DeathVelvien posted...
I seriously have no idea how the living f*** people are interpreting this as Jax having changed history so that whites were enslaved/possibly genocided off the planet entirely, or how this makes him "racist."

The last panel shows a whole seven people, three of whom are Jax and his immediate family, with the rest quite possibly being his extended family, in a single street in America. Extrapolating that to "whites are slaves/dead" makes no logical sense whatsoever.

I interpreted as actually being somewhere in Africa, in a "Jax changed history to the point where Africans were never mass exported to America as slaves in the first place" type deal, but I'm not sure. Is that supposed to be the skyline of Manhattan behind him?
go team venture!

bIuerain
4 weeks ago#26
When American culture gets so politically polarized that "slavery was bad" is now a controversial statement that will piss a ton of people off...

just, smh
go team venture!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: DeathVelvien

DeathVelvien
4 weeks ago#27
bIuerain posted...
DeathVelvien posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
DeathVelvien posted...

I interpreted as actually being somewhere in Africa, in a "Jax changed history to the point where Africans were never mass exported to America as slaves in the first place" type deal, but I'm not sure. Is that supposed to be the skyline of Manhattan behind him?

Entirely possible; I just kinda assumed America since Jax (from what I gather, at least) is strongly patriotic for the US.
UNIST: Phonon | BBCTB: Orie/Izayoi | Smash Ultimate: Ridley | P4AU: Yukari | GGXrd: Venom | Arizona Diamondbacks: 7-9
https://imgtc.com/i/7OdpfSogwx.gif

User Info: bige85

bige85
4 weeks ago#28
Blue_Inigo posted...
bige85 posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Depoinvil posted...

Not falling for the bait.
I will not be forgiven by good or evil.-Donovan Baine, Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3

User Info: Blue_Inigo

Blue_Inigo
4 weeks ago#29
bIuerain posted...
When American culture gets so politically polarized that "slavery was bad" is now a controversial statement that will piss a ton of people off...

just, smh

Yeah you really gotta bend over backwards to try to say this is bad or pushing some "agenda"
"This is your last dance."

User Info: 90sNinja

90sNinja
4 weeks ago#30
It's a little ridiculous to conflate "out of character" with "slavery was good". That being said, I know little about Jax's character, but I will say using the term woke definitely seems weird, that's like Twitter kid slang and I've never heard an older person use it without sounding too much like they're trying to fit in. Hell this would make more sense for Jacqui since she barely has a character.

But tbf I've never heard of anyone overanalyzing an MK character ending before, positively or negatively. It's a bit weird that the only thing everyone wants to talk about in the new MK is its politics, I guess that'll be their new gimmick after the reboot and newcomers games were already done with 9 and X.
If life was meant to be easy, then everyone would be doing it.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Jax isn't waiting centuries for people to get woke in MK11 *spoilers*