You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Do you like fighting CPUs?

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
1 month ago#11
After the loss to IBM's Deep Blue, chess world champion Garry Kasparov said that he sometimes saw "deep intelligence and creativity in the machine's moves".

Vulcan422 posted...
CPUs are mere machines that can be exploited, thus providing no challenge once you figure out their weakness.

Sweeping statement, and completely wrong. I think you're playing the wrong games.

Also, remember, most people have played against bots online and they didn't even know it.

User Info: GanglyKhan

GanglyKhan
1 month ago#12
Nope, I'd rather fight an actual person. The only game that I've ever enjoyed fighting CPUs in is Soul Calibur.
Now Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Borderlands (PS3), Crash Bandicoot 2 100% (PS4)

User Info: KingzJuster

KingzJuster
1 month ago#13
Depends on the game. Games like Tekken 7 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max can have VERY challenging AI so I like playing against them. Tekken 7 can be especially cheap when you get to the higher levels of Treasure Battle mode (coughDevilKazumicough), but I like challenging AI over pushover AI.
Always bet on me.
PSN: KingzJuster

User Info: Mister_Spyker

Mister_Spyker
1 month ago#14
Lost7th posted...
I only ever fight play the CPU if none of my buddies are around. To be frank I just don't get anything out of playing with online strangers. I acknowledge the skill difference, but if I can't see, talk to or actually interact with an opponent on a human level, then I really don't see how fighting some random kid a country away is any different than cranking up the difficulty and playing by myself. And even that aforementioned "skill difference" isn't always guaranteed.

I like fighting the CPU, but mind games and mix-ups just don't work the same without a human player. Nothing can truly replace human error and flaws. Deep down you always know it's not a real person and it's just not the same.
Dear lord, Spyker just ripped his entire life apart in nothing more than a few paragraphs. Ouch... - RexSilver

User Info: Lost7th

Lost7th
1 month ago#15
I acknowledge the skill difference but the distance and general lack of interaction creates a nigh impenetrable wall that just makes it too hard to form a personal connection. I don't ever plan on going to any tournament or anything like so there's no real desire or incentive to want to improve past the level of play that I have with. That's not to say I don't try to do better against my buds or the PC but any bragging rights earned from a leader board, percentage or victory against a random yahoo just feels empty.

User Info: KingzJuster

KingzJuster
1 month ago#16
Mister_Spyker posted...
Lost7th posted...
I only ever fight play the CPU if none of my buddies are around. To be frank I just don't get anything out of playing with online strangers. I acknowledge the skill difference, but if I can't see, talk to or actually interact with an opponent on a human level, then I really don't see how fighting some random kid a country away is any different than cranking up the difficulty and playing by myself. And even that aforementioned "skill difference" isn't always guaranteed.

I like fighting the CPU, but mind games and mix-ups just don't work the same without a human player. Nothing can truly replace human error and flaws. Deep down you always know it's not a real person and it's just not the same.

Also gotta agree with this. I can pull of some things against the CPU that just wouldn't work against a real opponent. But, if the CPU is difficult enough, the opposite holds true as well.

Still, playing against another human and seeing both of your human flaws and human thinking at work slightly edges out playing against the CPU even though I mentioned earlier that I enjoy playing the more difficult CPUs in some games.
Always bet on me.
PSN: KingzJuster

User Info: Trickfinger

Trickfinger
1 month ago#17
Yeah I font play scpu with the same approach as a human

They can be useful as moving targets but forget about reads
I survived reading guys like you

User Info: j_smedley

j_smedley
1 month ago#18
I expected this poll to have a dramatically different outcome.

I guess a lot of people may be playing "classics" that view this board, where online usually isn't even an option, so enjoying playing CPUs would be more common.

I feel like if this poll was made on a board for a modern fighting game, the results would be reversed.
Stay classy Capcom
https://puu.sh/DdMg6/1d97159e9f.jpg
Valiant_Kaiser posted...
Other than SNK bosses, yes.

I'm the opposite way
I only like fighting SNK bosses as a challenge to overcome, however cheap they are.
Normal characters aren't really fun imo
i'm the best imposter
https://gfycat.com/BountifulHarmlessDungbeetle
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Will Smith

Will Smith
1 month ago#20
j_smedley posted...
I expected this poll to have a dramatically different outcome.

I guess a lot of people may be playing "classics" that view this board, where online usually isn't even an option, so enjoying playing CPUs would be more common.

I feel like if this poll was made on a board for a modern fighting game, the results would be reversed.

I think even with a modern game, there wouldn't be an overwhelming number of votes in favor of online. There are too many variables to an enjoyable online experience, whereas an arcade mode vs the CPU is straightforward and consistent.

To really be in favor of online over single player modes, online has to offer the best of the following :

- quality of netcode
- active online lobbies
- the reputation of the community
- decent and quick matchmaking
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Do you like fighting CPUs?