You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Which fighting game has the best improvement in this gen?

User Info: Vulcan422

Vulcan422
1 month ago#11
Have to give it to Mortal Kombat. 11 looks absolutely amazing and they've decided to actually focus on making the gameplay feel more fluid and nuanced it seems.

Tekken 7's balance has certainly improved but the only way to improve it graphically is through using PC mods.

Street Fighter 5 looks better than SF4 but that's not saying much since SF4 looked like ass already. Gameplay-wise it's one of the most restrictive iterations in the series and strays too far from the series' traditional open-endedness, so it's bad.
Smash is not a fighting game.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien | T7: Dragunov, Kazumi, Negan | SC6: Mitsurugi, Groh

User Info: sailormoonfetis

sailormoonfetis
1 month ago#12
Vulcan422 posted...
Have to give it to Mortal Kombat. 11 looks absolutely amazing and they've decided to actually focus on making the gameplay feel more fluid and nuanced it seems.

Tekken 7's balance has certainly improved but the only way to improve it graphically is through using PC mods.

Street Fighter 5 looks better than SF4 but that's not saying much since SF4 looked like ass already. Gameplay-wise it's one of the most restrictive iterations in the series and strays too far from the series' traditional open-endedness, so it's bad.

So the rest of the fighters had little to no improvement at all? I'm kinda disappointed that KOF felt like the same game every year even 20 years later.
The best things about Japan: anime, manga, ryona and sushi.
Sailor Moon, producing ryona since 1992.

User Info: Valiant_Kaiser

Valiant_Kaiser
1 month ago#13
DBZ. Easily. The first legitimate fighting game since that Super one on PS2 that nobody bought...

User Info: Vulcan422

Vulcan422
1 month ago#14
sailormoonfetis posted...
So the rest of the fighters had little to no improvement at all? I'm kinda disappointed that KOF felt like the same game every year even 20 years later.

Soul Calibur 6 improved in some areas but regressed in some areas. They brought back the high-speed, fluid movement of past games as well as Guard Impact, but then they went and added Reversal Edge which is a stupid Wager-like system from InjustASS that goes through damn near everything and forces a 50/50, meaning it turns the concept of frame advantage completely on its head. It's a far more broken version of a Focus Attack.

KOF 14 is OK and a definite improvement from 13 but the metagame is still about hitconfirming into a MAX Mode Cancel for huge damage and comeback potential.

Guilty Gear Xrd is another case of improving in some areas and having faults in others. The new Roman Cancel system in particular makes things feel more option select-heavy. Older system was better.

BlazBlue is an example of a series that at one point improved, then takes a massive nosedive and never recovers. CS1 was a huge improvement from CT, but then they squandered it with CS2 and CS Extend. Then CP came out and was looking to be a return to form for the series, but then CP Extend came along and all the awful changes they made carried over into CF, and it never recovered.

DBFZ is new, but while Season 2 is a bit of an improvement it still has major flaws like the over-abundance of neutral game ignorance and lack of defensive options.

The new SamSho hasn't even come out yet.
Smash is not a fighting game.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien | T7: Dragunov, Kazumi, Negan | SC6: Mitsurugi, Groh

User Info: DreamwingNero

DreamwingNero
1 month ago#15
Vulcan422 posted...

KOF 14 is OK and a definite improvement from 13 but the metagame is still about hitconfirming into a MAX Mode Cancel for huge damage and comeback potential.

This is true it's better than kof13, but this is the main thing still.

User Info: Kylo_Ren_

Kylo_Ren_
1 month ago#16
Sam Sho looks different entirely and the gameplay will be a huge improvement over it's predecessors.

Other games retain the same formula but upgraded of course. Sam Sho is fresh from the ground up.
The Official Erron Black of the Mortal Kombat 11 Boards.
"If it bleeds, we can kill it." - Dutch

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#17
After the travesty that was SCV, I don't see how the answer can be anything but the phenomenal SCVI.

It's surpassed every expectation I've had, and my only regret is waiting so long to grab it.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: TheJVSquad

TheJVSquad
1 month ago#18
Lord_Wombat posted...
After the travesty that was SCV, I don't see how the answer can be anything but the phenomenal SCVI.

It's surpassed every expectation I've had, and my only regret is waiting so long to grab it.

SC5 is still better than SC4.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#19
TheJVSquad posted...
Lord_Wombat posted...

I agree that the gameplay seemed better in V, but I didn't put enough time into IV to make an informed decision tbh :/
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
4 weeks ago#20
TheJVSquad posted...
Lord_Wombat posted...

This.

That's a tough question though, because almost every fighting game has taken steps back in different aspects. The answer will probably end up being Mortal Kombat though, because X wasn't very good and 11 looks solid.
atpRtsd
LOOK HERE, LOOK LISTEN!
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Which fighting game has the best improvement in this gen?