You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Harada w/ his take on SJW pandering...

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
1 month ago#11
Surprise, surprise but I'm going to be the outlier here.

I'm fairly confident that statements like this are doing more to spread the idea that people are outraged than actual instances of outrage. This goes both directions--whether it's some article critical of DOA's sexuality or buffoons review bombing Captain Marvel, the reactions to those things probably do more to amplify the offending message than the thing itself.

Just do what you're going to do. This is the Internet age. Literally anyone can write an article or send a tweet or convey some idea. All that these preemptive defenses do is make it seem like the feared sensibility is far more prevalent than it really is. The reality is that most people don't care. Most people consume the media they like and just ignore the stuff they don't. To come out and say "I would do this but all that potential outrage man..." is silly.

User Info: Johnny Blaque

Johnny Blaque
1 month ago#12
CVGuile posted...

I'm fairly confident that statements like this are doing more to spread the idea that people are outraged than actual instances of outrage. This goes both directions--whether it's some article critical of DOA's sexuality or buffoons review bombing Captain Marvel, the reactions to those things probably do more to amplify the offending message than the thing itself.

Just do what you're going to do. This is the Internet age. Literally anyone can write an article or send a tweet or convey some idea. All that these preemptive defenses do is make it seem like the feared sensibility is far more prevalent than it really is. The reality is that most people don't care. Most people consume the media they like and just ignore the stuff they don't. To come out and say "I would do this but all that potential outrage man..." is silly.

Now THIS is the truth!

User Info: Dragonage2ftw

Dragonage2ftw
1 month ago#13
Sovereign_One posted...
Ed Boon, take notes.

Ed hasn't caved in to SJW's.
@Sovereign_One
Official Yu Narukami, Incineroar, Parasoul, Sombra, Black Widow, RE5 Jill, Kaede Akamatsu, Kamala Khan, Rehgar, Orisa, R.Mika, 2B, and Power Girl everywhere.

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#14
Johnny Blaque posted...
It makes no sense. Someone asked him if he'd be up to putting a Nordic Viking in TEKKEN and he goes off saying how if he tried some people would say it's a stereotype and some dumb hypothetical about everyone wearing plain t-shirts and jeans...thats dumb. I get where he is coming from but it's still dumb.

TEKKEN is a modern/futuristic series that has versions of soldiers, ninjas, and native American warriors among other things. I'm sure somebody complained about all those characters at some point but it didn't stop them. Nah, this was I guess a way of telling this guy he didn't want to do that idea while laying blame on some boogeyman.

What an idiotic post. Extremely dumb stuff there.

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#15
CVGuile posted...

CVGuile posted...

The problem is who is going to volunteer to be the one? Yes, the number of professional umbrage takers is low overall but the person whose project got scrapped or lost their job doesn't notice that. That's what makes all the offense taking so effective. It has a chilling effect.

This didn't read to me like a preemptive defense, it read like something on his mind at the time. And of course it would be. He doesn't even have to make the character, he just has to not be "a good ally" by not taking enough offense or giving someone a platform or not denouncing something or some other proxy association method people use to force people to do their bidding.

Martin Shkreli went to jail not because of illegal activities but because he caught the eye of the mob and so people were going to get him. People are worried about being the casualty, as heroic as standing up for your freedoms is.

I'm usually critical of Haradasanzgut but I don't think he was out of line here. He didn't help anything but he didn't do anything out of pocket. It's a tweet. He wrote his thoughts down.

That's how I see it at least.

User Info: CVGuile

CVGuile
1 month ago#16
It has a chilling effect to the extent that people who actually make decisions either agree with, cave to, or experience actual consequences from it. But let me ask you, how many things have suffered harm? It’s weird, right? Just recently Tekken put everyone in swim wear. No problems. Some segment of the population vocally battled DOA for years but they’re still making them and it appears at a glance that sales are adequate. They didn’t localize one of the volleyball games but I suspect that was a business decision and they just deflected blame by opportunistically pinning it on an existing fear.

And it doesn’t seem to matter which political direction the attack comes from. A ton of people b****ed about Black Panther—a billion f***ing dollars. Buffoons review bomb Captain Marvel—I bet it still makes bank. I see no chilling effect in practice. People are doing a lot of talking and there’s a lot of fear of what might happen but I haven’t seen a single product suffer from a concerted effort by the outrage sector of the Internet. In fact, how could it? One of the core failings of the outrage sector is they’re lazy and want to appear good rather than do good—that’s why they’re sarcastically called “social justice warriors.”

This feels like a case of mass hysteria based on a viral video. One kid eats a Tide pod and suddenly “Can you believe what kids are doing today?” Not realizing that if more kids start doing it—not even “when” but “if”—then it’s probably because of the feedback loop telling people that it’s what kids are doing.

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#17
CVGuile posted...
It has a chilling effect to the extent that people who actually make decisions either agree with, cave to, or experience actual consequences from it. But let me ask you, how many things have suffered harm? It’s weird, right? Just recently Tekken put everyone in swim wear. No problems. Some segment of the population vocally battled DOA for years but they’re still making them and it appears at a glance that sales are adequate. They didn’t localize one of the volleyball games but I suspect that was a business decision and they just deflected blame by opportunistically pinning it on an existing fear.

And it doesn’t seem to matter which political direction the attack comes from. A ton of people b****ed about Black Panther—a billion f***ing dollars. Buffoons review bomb Captain Marvel—I bet it still makes bank. I see no chilling effect in practice. People are doing a lot of talking and there’s a lot of fear of what might happen but I haven’t seen a single product suffer from a concerted effort by the outrage sector of the Internet. In fact, how could it? One of the core failings of the outrage sector is they’re lazy and want to appear good rather than do good—that’s why they’re sarcastically called “social justice warriors.”

This feels like a case of mass hysteria based on a viral video. One kid eats a Tide pod and suddenly “Can you believe what kids are doing today?” Not realizing that if more kids start doing it—not even “when” but “if”—then it’s probably because of the feedback loop telling people that it’s what kids are doing.

Castlevania Guile has a point!

Let's all concentrate on becoming family men!

@Will_Smith your opinions?
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: Lord_Shadow_19

Lord_Shadow_19
1 month ago#18
CVGuile posted...

Mass Hysteria that ends up with people losing jobs, being deplatformed, and even physically attacked. All in the name of appeasing the SJW mob, a mob that will never be appeased because they only survive by finding new things to outrage about.

What makes this even worse is all this is done in the name of morality, they feel that they are on the right side of history and thus think doing all these things is the right thing to do.

There is very similar to religious zealots who perform things in the name of God, and those people tend to be unstoppable because a mere human can never convince someone to disobey god.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User Info: Will Smith

Will Smith
1 month ago#19
STEROLIZER posted...
CVGuile posted...

Castlevania Guile has a point!

Let's all concentrate on becoming family men!

@Will_Smith your opinions?

I somewhat agree with his tweet.

In this current age I don't feel people are "genuinely" offended by a large amount of stuff that goes on. From my personal experiences with family members, co-workers, and friends, they will wait to see if someone else gives the signal to be offended before they state it themselves.

The bleeding hearts usually wait to take their cue to be offended from someone in authority (politician, celebrity, a fellow SJW who is high on the totem pole).

Discrimination, classification, and bias will always exist regardless. Even if we were homogenized in Harada's example of tee shirts and jeans, we would start to rank and file ourselves. Those with faded jeans might be higher status than those with heavily dyed blues.

If you have a v neck collar, that might put you on the bottom of the status ladder.

Humans have an innate desire to sort and classify things, give them value. This is why I find it funny whenever some leftist states that they are "shocked that racism still exists in the year 20XX". It's about as naive as stating that "it is 2019, why are we still using currency to purchase goods?"

User Info: bIuerain

bIuerain
1 month ago#20
Dark Symphony posted...

Martin Shkreli went to jail not because of illegal activities but because he caught the eye of the mob and so people were going to get him

oh yea, I'm sure the fact that he literally committed investment fraud had nothing to do with it. it was all those darn SJWs.

seriously DS, that was probably the stupidest take of your life
go team venture!
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Harada w/ his take on SJW pandering...