2 months ago #124
    Dark Symphony posted...
    Remember, he wasn't responding to the topic, he brought up the topic by seemingly flippantly taking jabs at certain social trends. I don't think he was out of line nor do I think he was actively trying to help a situation. He was just saying some crap.

Dark Symphony posted...
    The other position I've been arguing is why people care and get worked up over these things. I don't think Haradasanz position was meant to be an official statement but I do understand why it could be a latent concern in the back of his mind and I definitely understand why people see this stuff as a big deal.

I'm curious where your line is with this. After all, "characters are just functions" was arguably ComboFiend saying some crap--at least in the sense that it probably wasn't a rehearsed statement or sanctioned by Capcom. But that doesn't mean it wasn't dumb. After all, the big issue overall in video game PR is that all these insiders jabber on about things in their games in a way that blurs the line between their role as an official representative and just some guy shooting the s*** with us over a beer. Plus Twitter is as much of a place to make public statements as an interview, even if most tweets in the grand scheme are vapid.

Dark Symphony posted...
    In situations where they were ultimately vindicated they don't often end up back at square one. They're still shaken up, angry, bitter and resentful and their superiors know that so now they've been wronged AND they've been marked as a problem because they are upset they were wronged. Not exactly a 1:1 situation but the point I'm making is the stuff has an effect on the individual and I can see why people are worried.

Which is why I'm arguing the point that it's the people who aren't directly affected who need to be the reasonable ones. It's why judges recuse themselves if they're too close to a case to preside over it without the air of bias or some other conflict of interest. In the end we're all vulnerable to someone at sometime. The players change depending on the circumstances but the reality is that if someone really wants to f*** you over they probably can. A disgruntled driver who thinks you stole his parking space decides to key your car? You might win a lawsuit but you're only getting your money back, not your time. A cop having a bad day can probably find something wrong with your driving if he looks closely enough. Your boss can find some reason to b**** at you if he so pleases. But the warning signs for that kind of personality trait should be taken seriously when deciding who to put in a position of authority in the first place. After all, someone who would both know an employee was innocent but also mark them as a problem for being mad about the initial accusation is probably a s***ty boss in general.

Dark Symphony posted...
    Why do we insist on taking anything said on twitter as an official presidential statement?

Well...

Previous Versions
    2 months ago
    Dark Symphony posted...
    Remember, he wasn't responding to the topic, he brought up the topic by seemingly flippantly taking jabs at certain social trends. I don't think he was out of line nor do I think he was actively trying to help a situation. He was just saying some crap.

Dark Symphony posted...
    The other position I've been arguing is why people care and get worked up over these things. I don't think Haradasanz position was meant to be an official statement but I do understand why it could be a latent concern in the back of his mind and I definitely understand why people see this stuff as a big deal.

I'm curious where your line is with this. After all, "characters are just functions" was arguably ComboFiend saying some crap--at least in the sense that it probably wasn't a rehearsed statement or sanctioned by Capcom. But that doesn't mean it wasn't dumb. After all, the big issue overall in video game PR is that all these insiders jabber on about things in their games in a way that blurs the line between their role as an official representative and just some guy shooting the s*** with us over a beer. Plus Twitter is as much of a place to make public statements as an interview, even if most tweets in the grand scheme are vapid.

Dark Symphony posted...
    In situations where they were ultimately vindicated they don't often end up back at square one. They're still shaken up, angry, bitter and resentful and their superiors know that so now they've been wronged AND they've been marked as a problem because they are upset they were wronged. Not exactly a 1:1 situation but the point I'm making is the stuff has an effect on the individual and I can see why people are worried.

Which is why I'm arguing the point that it's the people who aren't directly affected who need to be the reasonable ones. In the end we're all vulnerable to someone at sometime. The players change depending on the circumstances but the reality is that if someone really wants to f*** you over they probably can. A disgruntled driver who thinks you stole his parking space decides to key your car? You might win a lawsuit but you're only getting your money back, not your time. A cop having a bad day can probably find something wrong with your driving if he looks closely enough. Your boss can find some reason to b**** at you if he so pleases. But the warning signs for that kind of personality trait should be taken seriously when deciding who to put in a position of authority in the first place. After all, someone who would both know an employee was innocent but also mark them as a problem for being mad about the initial accusation is probably a s***ty boss in general.

Dark Symphony posted...
    Why do we insist on taking anything said on twitter as an official presidential statement?

Well...
    2 months ago
    Dark Symphony posted...

Dark Symphony posted...

Dark Symphony posted...

Which is why I'm arguing the point that it's the people who aren't directly affected who need to be the reasonable ones. It's why judges recuse themselves if they're too close to a case to preside over it without implicit bias. In the end we're all vulnerable to someone at sometime. The players change depending on the circumstances but the reality is that if someone really wants to f*** you over they probably can. A disgruntled driver who thinks you stole his parking space decides to key your car? You might win a lawsuit but you're only getting your money back, not your time. A cop having a bad day can probably find something wrong with your driving if he looks closely enough. Your boss can find some reason to b**** at you if he so pleases. But the warning signs for that kind of personality trait should be taken seriously when deciding who to put in a position of authority in the first place. After all, someone who would both know an employee was innocent but also mark them as a problem for being mad about the initial accusation is probably a s***ty boss in general.

Dark Symphony posted...

Well...