You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Capcom needs to go back to the drawing board of what made SFIV successful.

User Info: LordRattergun

LordRattergun
1 month ago#11
SF6 needs an arcade release. Keep it there for a year until the console features are ready.
Rattergun, you are truly a hero for our times. - Recoome_is_god
http://i.imgur.com/dUNdc.jpg

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#12
There was no fighting game drought. MK titles were still selling millions. There was a STREET FIGHTER drought and that's exactly how Capcom marketed 4. They even said it was the first 3D SF game. The "Capcom brings back fighting games" angle was tacked on later for kore marketing and people keep falling for it.

I love how the big insight of the opening post is... add more things to the game. Wow! Novel. Before worrying about suggesting how companies fix their games with deep thoughts like "include more content" we should probably worry about our own insights as we still fall for goofy angles like "we rushed the game out for YOU GUYS in the FGC!" The more likely reality is that, just like FFXIV, the barebones'd state of SFV was a 100% intentional, planned move looking to test what the market is willing to bear and to lean on the theory that fighting games exist solely on vs and online vs modes. Also to see how people deal with the seasons format.

SFV seemed to set out to specifically establish what people would tolerate. If it worked you can bet MVCI would have came out sans any kind of story mode and with a smaller roster.

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#13
Lord_Wombat posted...
KillerKhan420 posted...
Casuals won't stick around for years for a game to get completed, and they don't like all the dlc either.

Idk, judging from MKX, SCVI, Smash, and DBFZ, "casuals" seem to stick to their games as much or even more than some "hardcore" players.

Obviously most people b**** about the DLC, but considering the online playerbase swells every time new content is released (Tekken 7, SFV, and again DBFZ to make a few recent examples), it makes me wonder if they're really as against the practice as they claim to be.

Define "swells." Seriously. We gamers have a tendency to use words like "swells," "popular" and "well" without any frame of reference. What if the swelling population is smaller than the pre DLC population?

User Info: DigitechX

DigitechX
1 month ago#14
Dark Symphony posted...
If it worked you can bet MVCI would have came out sans any kind of story mode and with a smaller roster.

Probably would have been a more polished game that way, honestly.
I M P R E S S I V E N I N J A S K I L L S

User Info: KillerKhan420

KillerKhan420
1 month ago#15
Lord_Wombat posted...
KillerKhan420 posted...
Casuals won't stick around for years for a game to get completed, and they don't like all the dlc either.

Idk, judging from MKX, SCVI, Smash, and DBFZ, "casuals" seem to stick to their games as much or even more than some "hardcore" players.

Obviously most people b**** about the DLC, but considering the online playerbase swells every time new content is released (Tekken 7, SFV, and again DBFZ to make a few recent examples), it makes me wonder if they're really as against the practice as they claim to be.

The games you listed had substantial rosters upon release. Sf5 had a measly 16, and among the dlc are character staples like sagat, guile, balrog, blanka, Sakura.... characters that were free in just the last iteration.
"I know how the business works because I'm a wrestling fan"-hulkhogan1

User Info: ekie

ekie
1 month ago#16
Snk is the new Capcom
ALL HAIL LORD DUNCAN! http://imgur.com/vsYREtU.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZc3uq56JKU

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 month ago#17
Point 1 doesnt really have anything to do with their drawing board for SFIV. The community made the game a cultural phenomenon and Capcom tried to cash in on it and rush a new game out during its peak.

And fight money is actually fine and a great idea, its just capcom turned into stingy bastards and removed so much of the access to fight money

Id rather just by characters than have a ridiculously unfriendly in game system, but id rather have a good system than no system. Fight money wasnt really a problem until Season 3
Learning something new everyday

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 month ago#18
Dark Symphony posted...
There was no fighting game drought. MK titles were still selling millions. There was a STREET FIGHTER drought and that's exactly how Capcom marketed 4. They even said it was the first 3D SF game. The "Capcom brings back fighting games" angle was tacked on later for kore marketing and people keep falling for it.

Tekken 5 also sold exceptionally well and even got a rerelease

90% of what made SFIV what SFIV is known as today was the community, Capcom just learned over the years how to push (milk) SFIV for all they could (hence its near decade long lifeline and connections with SFxT)
Learning something new everyday

User Info: Karsh_14

Karsh_14
1 month ago#19
Needs to be on Xbox and arcade, needs to have a cheesy arcade mode for single
Player.

These things hurt it way more than people want to admit. The exact same game would have probably doubled in sales with those 3 changes.
Cheers.

User Info: Shinobi120

Shinobi120
1 month ago#20
bvillebro posted...
Dark Symphony posted...

Tekken 5 also sold exceptionally well and even got a re-release

90% of what made SFIV what SFIV is known as today was the community, Capcom just learned over the years how to push (milk) SFIV for all they could (hence its near decade long lifeline and connections with SFxT)

Don't forget about other games like SoulCalibur II & Virtua Fighter 4 in huge popularity. Plus MK & KOF still kept going.

Just because SF may be gone, doesn't mean that a fighting game drought will happen. It didn't happen from 2001-2008, & it sure won't happen in the future.
November 8th, 2016 was the day that became a HUGE nightmare for America & the rest of the world once Donald Trump was elected president.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. Capcom needs to go back to the drawing board of what made SFIV successful.