You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. What's the most important thing in a fighting game?

User Info: JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19
1 month ago#61
I'm somewhere between depth of gameplay and immediacy. Feel is the most important thing to me. I love it when it feels right when I first grab the stick and move around and press buttons. That's what all of my favorite games have in common. But I feel like accessibility gets in the way of that. BBTAG should be a game I love based on the mechanics. But doing stuff in that game wasn't physically fun for me. I want to press a lot of buttons and do motions. I need companies to stop removing those aspects from games with the aim to please casuals who don't stay anyway. Depth of gameplay is connected to this as well. I haven't played any games where the feel was right but depth of gameplay wasn't there. The developers were probably dedicated to making a good fighting game if they actually spent time getting the feel right.
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
1 month ago#62
^ I know what you mean. That's why I asked this:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/208-fighting-games/77547575

jky7702 posted...
any veteran FG player knows Tekken is superior in terms of gameplay, systems, etc. but Injustass 2 won by a landslide on game awards, received 10/10 scores from every western publication and community poll in the west. Why is that? Its the graphics, game modes, progression systems, story mode (lip-synching), etc. Everything but the actual fighting.

Metacritic scores and IGN reviews will sell your FG faster than the best combat mechanics the human mind can conjure. MKX: 10 million copies sold, Tekken7: 3 million.

Exactly. That's because lots of people consider other things in addition to gameplay and longevity. What some reviewers do is give 7/10 for graphics, 9/10 for story mode, 5/10 for gameplay, and then give a final score that is an average of these three elements.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. What's the most important thing in a fighting game?