You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. What's the most important thing in a fighting game?

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
3 months ago#21
Lost7th posted...
GanglyKhan posted...
Gameplay followed by presentation.

Id actually argue presentation is before gameplay even. I mean we can all act like hardcore gamers all we want but if what we really cared about first and foremost was the GAMEPLAY we'd all be playing Virtua Fighter. That isn't to say that good core mechanics aren't vital but you really would be surprised how much things like music and atmosphere matter. You need to give players characters they want to play as and not hollow"FUNCTIONS." Hit's have to connect and feel visceral, and there has to be something connect to some identity that separates game X from all the other fighting games out there.

This, all of this. People are tryharding like hell while Fightcade/Dolphin remain barren and multiple new IPs end up dead on arrival

Again, small sample here but its not much different from many things youll see in sections of the online FGC. Ill admit ill be one of those guys youll see watching Cooperation Cup and s***ting on either SFIV or SFV in twitch chat, while 3s online edition sits on my Ps3 that I havent touched in ages
Learning something new everyday

User Info: TeenHaohmaru

TeenHaohmaru
3 months ago#22
Roster

I get excited over the characters

User Info: Superlinkbro

Superlinkbro
3 months ago#23
The single player content.
PSN: Super_Link_Bro/Switch FC: SW-0496-6694-1794
Please let me know if you want to friend me beforehand.

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
3 months ago#24
Lost7th posted...
Remembering that your larger consumer based isn't the small handful of COMPETITIVE tournament players.

This is an important thing to remember. Nobody said spectators yet. It's definitely more important to aim the game at regular people who will play it rather than watch it. Tournaments don't matter to literally 99% of players.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: shin_mcgoo

shin_mcgoo
3 months ago#25
Krow_Incarnate posted...
Roster

The key to any game is making me give a f*** about it in the first place. If there isn't a character I look at and go, "Wow, I want to play them!" then I don't give a f*** about the game.

Period.

I agree. Would anyone buy MK11 if it had an all-new roster? Would the Smash franchise exist today if Smash 64 had all original characters? No and no.
"That was quite a mouthful! I guess you're used to that kind of thing."
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: RetroGamer9

RetroGamer9
3 months ago#26
What kind of idiot votes for roster over gameplay? Look at how ‘Good’ the mugen games are...

The gameplay is the ONLY correct answer in this poll.
CECH-A00

User Info: Naoki

Naoki
3 months ago#27
Roster
I'm a weeb who only cares about characters and their tricks, gimmicks. I like BBCF cuz there're so many characters to explore so I could easily pwn players online cuz they often don' know the matchups.

User Info: Naoki

Naoki
3 months ago#28
Also I have a lot of free time so a game with large roster gives me huge advantage over other guys. How could they experiment all characters if they can only play for 2 hours a day lmao?
And when they have full understanding of the characters the game would be outdated by that time and I'd move to a new FG with more characters again so they can't beat me, so lots of fame for me.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
3 months ago#29
CHROM6 posted...
Roster (size, variety, quality, guests)

A poorly playable game with a large roster is still a poorly playable game. Get the gameplay sorted first before you focus on adding characters.
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
3 months ago#30
Naoki posted...
Roster
I'm a weeb who only cares about characters and their tricks, gimmicks. I like BBCF cuz there're so many characters to explore so I could easily pwn players online cuz they often don' know the matchups.

But then you don’t know the matchups either.
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN
  1. Boards
  2. Fighting Games
  3. What's the most important thing in a fighting game?