• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. So why doesn't Thorn cause permadeath in the Crucible?

User Info: ssj_duelist

ssj_duelist
1 month ago#1
And why don't our enemies make Thorn like weapons?

I know 'because video game' but is there an in universe explanation?
Playing:
PS4: Resident Evil 2, Destiny 2. N.Switch: Fire Emblem Warriors; Mega Man LC1. SNES Mini: Star Fox 2; Yoshi's Island. 3DS: Pokemon Y & Black 2.

User Info: Cosmickadet

Cosmickadet
1 month ago#2
Yes theres an explanation:

Only the original Thorn (Dredgen Yor's Thorn) can cause Guardians to perma die bcuz his has Hive Bones on it and Darkness powers.

The Thorn we see today are made by Shadows of Yor and cannot perma kill someone bcuz they're just a replica. They purified the Thorn with Light.
Currently play: Destiny 2, Monster Hunter World and Rainbow Six Siege

User Info: iljindaebak

iljindaebak
1 month ago#3
Spoilers ahead...

As @Cosmickadet stated, the orignal Thorn is pretty much pure darkness, converted from the orignal handcannon, Rose, owned by Rezyl (Dredgen Yor's original name before he was consumed by darkness) before it was covered with hive bone and converted to Thorn (hence the lore which states "where there was once a Rose only Thorns now remain). The shots from Thorn drains light to the point where the ghosts are no longer able to revive their guardians, this is why Dredgen Yor was able to kill Jaren Ward (the orignal owner of The Last Word) with a single bullet. This is also why Enkaar is able to kill you with one shot in the final mission to get The Last Word, he is using Thorn. Hope this helps explain it some @ssj_duelist

User Info: ssj_duelist

ssj_duelist
1 month ago#4
Good to know. Thanks!
Playing:
PS4: Resident Evil 2, Destiny 2. N.Switch: Fire Emblem Warriors; Mega Man LC1. SNES Mini: Star Fox 2; Yoshi's Island. 3DS: Pokemon Y & Black 2.

User Info: slywether85

slywether85
1 month ago#5
I really wish stuff like this was a more fleshed out experience in the game rather than a sidenote.

The destiny universe is so cool. But it's so overlooked for the most part in game.

I want an actual rpg sometimes I guess, rather than putting a sword on when I run solar on my lock for the "feels".

User Info: IgOr2099

IgOr2099
1 month ago#6
slywether85 posted...
I really wish stuff like this was a more fleshed out experience in the game rather than a sidenote.

The destiny universe is so cool. But it's so overlooked for the most part in game.

I want an actual rpg sometimes I guess, rather than putting a sword on when I run solar on my lock for the "feels".

Dude, I feel this. I thought about buying the new destiny lore books but I can't just on principle. Destiny could've easily been a Elder Scrolls in space kind of game with tight shooter mechanics but they piecemeal so much of the games content and the story.
I'd rather be a Smart-ass than a Dumb-ass

User Info: The Business

The Business
1 month ago#7
slywether85 posted...

X100
Do I have to give you THE BUSINESS?

User Info: vallenato78

vallenato78
1 month ago#8
The Business posted...
slywether85 posted...

X100

X1000

User Info: iljindaebak

iljindaebak
1 month ago#9
IgOr2099 posted...
slywether85 posted...

Dude, I feel this. I thought about buying the new destiny lore books but I can't just on principle. Destiny could've easily been a Elder Scrolls in space kind of game with tight shooter mechanics but they piecemeal so much of the games content and the story.

@IgOr2099 I recently purchased it from Amazon when it was on sale, ($16+) and I have to say it fleshed some stuff out and while I'm still going through it, it seems to explain the origins of the Hive and their perspective on things, I really can't blame them for their practices as much now lol. I love Destiny but agree with the comments about Bungie putting the story as a side note so I tend to wait until Destiny things are much cheaper before buying them. FYI the videos by My Name Is Byf (on Youtube) do a great job at explaining the lore, they have comic book animations, voice acting, etc. the team really goes all out.

User Info: IgOr2099

IgOr2099
1 month ago#10
iljindaebak posted...
IgOr2099 posted...
slywether85 posted...

@IgOr2099 I recently purchased it from Amazon when it was on sale, ($16+) and I have to say it fleshed some stuff out and while I'm still going through it, it seems to explain the origins of the Hive and their perspective on things, I really can't blame them for their practices as much now lol. I love Destiny but agree with the comments about Bungie putting the story as a side note so I tend to wait until Destiny things are much cheaper before buying them. FYI the videos by My Name Is Byf (on Youtube) do a great job at explaining the lore, they have comic book animations, voice acting, etc. the team really goes all out.

I will look into Byf! thanks!
I'd rather be a Smart-ass than a Dumb-ass
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. So why doesn't Thorn cause permadeath in the Crucible?
  • Topic Archived