• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Destiny no longer with Activision!

User Info: BoxTheMuppet

BoxTheMuppet
3 months ago#11
XGeass posted...
randomsentinel posted...
I really want to be optimistic. However I don't think people understand the role of Activision in this relationship. A lot of the series faults were squarely on Bungie's shoulders, and losing Activision likely won't change much. It's easy to blame the faceless activison people for all the shortcomings, but they don't handle actual development, they just handle funding. What we can likely blame AV for is the monetization strategy and Eververse. When content is bad like CoO that isn't the fault of AV though, that's on Bungie.

For all we know the PR could be in full swing and AV are the ones that gave Bungie the boot. I'd like to remind people that in the opening of this statement Bungie said they needed the financial help. Think about what the game will look like now that Destiny doesn't have AV to fund it. They will either have to cut content or market more aggressively to make up the loss. It isn't feasible that they can suddenly make more content or better content with less resources, and when combined with the fact most of the talent has already left the studio over the last few years I'd say it's almost impossible. In the lolkotaku article it states that "The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards." This tells me that AV wanted to get rid of Destiny just as much as Bungie wanted to split. So while again I'm optimistic I'm also being hesitant about this.

So I'm sorry for continuing my negativity streak lol. I will happily be wrong though, in fact I want to be. I want this split to somehow make this series live up to it's potential. It's just that after seeing 5 years or whatever of this franchise it's pretty clear that Bungie has made a lot of stupid design choices. To answer the question yes this is still a good thing, but it also feels like Bungie and its knights will scapegoat activision as long as they can even though Bungie has plenty of blame themselves.

In fact I'm waiting for the next year or whatever of content lol. If it sucks you're gonna hear "well they started this back when Activision still had control so-----". It's just like when D1 was bad and they excused it because D2 was being made. The core issues of the franchise need to be addressed and that's by Bungie, not Activision. Thanks for reading my wall of ramblings.

While i agree with all of this, at the very least i doubt Bungie will push all end game items as micro transactions. That move was clearly done by Activision.

When did destiny have endgame items as micro transactions?
#1 at absolutely nothing!

User Info: Muflaggin

Muflaggin
3 months ago#12
Now all the morons that blamed Activision for the "bad" decisions will find out that Bungie is just a corporate entity that only cares about money also.
LightSnake: "Sigh....I might've been wrong about a lot this time."
Terra-enforcer: "You were right. I was wrong. I'm a filthy welcher."

User Info: P0E

P0E
3 months ago#13
It’s very likely it’s going to be a good thing. Only time will tell.
Creepy is my favorite type of Pasta.

User Info: XxZiomaxX

XxZiomaxX
3 months ago#14
We going RPG boys
LAL - PSN: Deuce-Cuatro
Will not remove this until the KC Chiefs win a Divisional round playoff game -- 1/5/14

User Info: The Business

The Business
3 months ago#15
randomsentinel posted...
I really want to be optimistic. However I don't think people understand the role of Activision in this relationship. A lot of the series faults were squarely on Bungie's shoulders, and losing Activision likely won't change much. It's easy to blame the faceless activison people for all the shortcomings, but they don't handle actual development, they just handle funding. What we can likely blame AV for is the monetization strategy and Eververse. When content is bad like CoO that isn't the fault of AV though, that's on Bungie.

For all we know the PR could be in full swing and AV are the ones that gave Bungie the boot. I'd like to remind people that in the opening of this statement Bungie said they needed the financial help. Think about what the game will look like now that Destiny doesn't have AV to fund it. They will either have to cut content or market more aggressively to make up the loss. It isn't feasible that they can suddenly make more content or better content with less resources, and when combined with the fact most of the talent has already left the studio over the last few years I'd say it's almost impossible. In the lolkotaku article it states that "The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards." This tells me that AV wanted to get rid of Destiny just as much as Bungie wanted to split. So while again I'm optimistic I'm also being hesitant about this.

So I'm sorry for continuing my negativity streak lol. I will happily be wrong though, in fact I want to be. I want this split to somehow make this series live up to it's potential. It's just that after seeing 5 years or whatever of this franchise it's pretty clear that Bungie has made a lot of stupid design choices. To answer the question yes this is still a good thing, but it also feels like Bungie and its knights will scapegoat activision as long as they can even though Bungie has plenty of blame themselves.

In fact I'm waiting for the next year or whatever of content lol. If it sucks you're gonna hear "well they started this back when Activision still had control so-----". It's just like when D1 was bad and they excused it because D2 was being made. The core issues of the franchise need to be addressed and that's by Bungie, not Activision. Thanks for reading my wall of ramblings.

This is a good, well thought out post and even though I disagree with some of it, kudos.

That being said, I will also mention that the current update/DLC strategy was implemented and damn near demanded by Activision and NOT by Bungie. So saying that Bungie is solely to blame for COO, Warmind and the like is a little misleading at best.

Those type of DLC's were really what the publisher wanted. almost quarterly, paid DLC content that was fluff story at best. Just $ grabs.

I'm optimistic that at least with Bungie solely at the helm that we get actual real content, even though I suspect there will be LONG droughts again.
Do I have to give you THE BUSINESS?

User Info: BoxTheMuppet

BoxTheMuppet
3 months ago#16
The Business posted...
randomsentinel posted...

This is a good, well thought out post and even though I disagree with some of it, kudos.

That being said, I will also mention that the current update/DLC strategy was implemented and damn near demanded by Activision and NOT by Bungie. So saying that Bungie is solely to blame for COO, Warmind and the like is a little misleading at best.

Those type of DLC's were really what the publisher wanted. almost quarterly, paid DLC content that was fluff story at best. Just $ grabs.

I'm optimistic that at least with Bungie solely at the helm that we get actual real content, even though I suspect there will be LONG droughts again.

I don’t see the scheduled dlc as a problem. I read that during halo 2 Microsoft had to heavily oversee production because Bungie was having trouble staying on task. I know it’s been years and most of those people aren’t there but Bungie still lacks the ability to even give regular sandbox updates. Where are the catalysts, factions, guided games fixes, matchmaking, trials, weapon and armor tweaks and balances? I worry that left to their own devices, the content releases will be a s*** show.
Activision said they had to produce content to support shareholders and maintain a steady player base. You can’t blame COO content on Activision. They said it had to be dlc, Bungie pooped that turd out themselves.
#1 at absolutely nothing!

User Info: Veraichi

Veraichi
3 months ago#17
Alright, burn the whole destiny universe and reboot it, learn from all the mistakes and make the game what it should have been from the start

User Info: Judge-returned

Judge-returned
3 months ago#18
I think maybe without Acti in the picture that Bungie will have more time to create their content. I don’t think they were ever lacking in freedom to make anything, but a time crunch can definitely hamper anyone’s creative/productive process.

I don’t necessarily have faith that the new content they’ll make from now on will be better, but at least maybe now they can make things more cohesive and fix things that need to be fixed. I feel like a lot of stuff that’s been broken has gone overlooked because they were in a contract to release something new.

Who knows. Everything and nothing will change, based on what we know.

User Info: randomsentinel

randomsentinel
3 months ago#19
BoxTheMuppet posted...
I don’t see the scheduled dlc as a problem. I read that during halo 2 Microsoft had to heavily oversee production because Bungie was having trouble staying on task. I know it’s been years and most of those people aren’t there but Bungie still lacks the ability to even give regular sandbox updates. Where are the catalysts, factions, guided games fixes, matchmaking, trials, weapon and armor tweaks and balances? I worry that left to their own devices, the content releases will be a s*** show.
Activision said they had to produce content to support shareholders and maintain a steady player base. You can’t blame COO content on Activision. They said it had to be dlc, Bungie pooped that turd out themselves.

This does a better job addressing it than I would have. I don't feel I'm being misleading, I'm more trying to separate the things that Bungie and Activision are respectively responsible for. 2 dlc drops in a year is Activision, 2 hour CoO campaign is Bungie. Annual pass is Activision, BA dropping and being almost unplayable because people have to level suddenly is Bungie.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM
Rathalos for MVC3! "This is my last response to you forever" - XxZiomaxX

User Info: kanon951

kanon951
3 months ago#20
Muflaggin posted...
Now all the morons that blamed Activision for the "bad" decisions will find out that Bungie is just a corporate entity that only cares about money also.

This^. Many fanboys still act as if Bungie is innocent when many decisions about structure of the game were theirs and theirs only.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Destiny no longer with Activision!
  • Topic Archived