You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Destiny no longer with Activision!

User Info: kingcam07

kingcam07
1 week ago#1
https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

Posted on Bungie's site. Looks like the partnership is in the midst of being broken up! Not really sure if this will be a good thing or a bad thing, but let's all hope for the best!!
psn ID: kingcam07
3DS Friend Code: 3797-6991-7772

User Info: XxZiomaxX

XxZiomaxX
1 week ago#2
This is 100% a good thing
LAL - PSN: Deuce-Cuatro
Will not remove this until the KC Chiefs win a Divisional round playoff game -- 1/5/14
omg yea kinda indeed good thing

but victory at what cost.... (points out in destiny 1 midway development they clearly lost good 80%+ of original team)
destiny 2 whisper catalyst everyone should have it help them get it
owner of 500m edition ps4 41,768/50,000 (as well as every other system made yolo)

User Info: randomsentinel

randomsentinel
1 week ago#4
I really want to be optimistic. However I don't think people understand the role of Activision in this relationship. A lot of the series faults were squarely on Bungie's shoulders, and losing Activision likely won't change much. It's easy to blame the faceless activison people for all the shortcomings, but they don't handle actual development, they just handle funding. What we can likely blame AV for is the monetization strategy and Eververse. When content is bad like CoO that isn't the fault of AV though, that's on Bungie.

For all we know the PR could be in full swing and AV are the ones that gave Bungie the boot. I'd like to remind people that in the opening of this statement Bungie said they needed the financial help. Think about what the game will look like now that Destiny doesn't have AV to fund it. They will either have to cut content or market more aggressively to make up the loss. It isn't feasible that they can suddenly make more content or better content with less resources, and when combined with the fact most of the talent has already left the studio over the last few years I'd say it's almost impossible. In the lolkotaku article it states that "The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards." This tells me that AV wanted to get rid of Destiny just as much as Bungie wanted to split. So while again I'm optimistic I'm also being hesitant about this.

So I'm sorry for continuing my negativity streak lol. I will happily be wrong though, in fact I want to be. I want this split to somehow make this series live up to it's potential. It's just that after seeing 5 years or whatever of this franchise it's pretty clear that Bungie has made a lot of stupid design choices. To answer the question yes this is still a good thing, but it also feels like Bungie and its knights will scapegoat activision as long as they can even though Bungie has plenty of blame themselves.

In fact I'm waiting for the next year or whatever of content lol. If it sucks you're gonna hear "well they started this back when Activision still had control so-----". It's just like when D1 was bad and they excused it because D2 was being made. The core issues of the franchise need to be addressed and that's by Bungie, not Activision. Thanks for reading my wall of ramblings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM
Rathalos for MVC3! "This is my last response to you forever" - XxZiomaxX

User Info: Mochzuki

Mochzuki
1 week ago#5
Activision probably did drop Bungie. They did say afterall that Forsaken didn't generate the revenue Activision was expecting. But then again Bungie made that deal with that other company too. All this means now is Bungie controls every aspect of Destiny SO D3 might not come out Sept. 2020 like we predicted. Could be later now.
PSN: Atsuki12345 , Warlock Max Power 649.6, Hunter Max Power 638.6, Titan Max Power 644.5
Light Level updated as of 12/20/2018

User Info: sephiroth068

sephiroth068
1 week ago#6
randomsentinel posted...
I really want to be optimistic. However I don't think people understand the role of Activision in this relationship. A lot of the series faults were squarely on Bungie's shoulders, and losing Activision likely won't change much. It's easy to blame the faceless activison people for all the shortcomings, but they don't handle actual development, they just handle funding. What we can likely blame AV for is the monetization strategy and Eververse. When content is bad like CoO that isn't the fault of AV though, that's on Bungie.

For all we know the PR could be in full swing and AV are the ones that gave Bungie the boot. I'd like to remind people that in the opening of this statement Bungie said they needed the financial help. Think about what the game will look like now that Destiny doesn't have AV to fund it. They will either have to cut content or market more aggressively to make up the loss. It isn't feasible that they can suddenly make more content or better content with less resources, and when combined with the fact most of the talent has already left the studio over the last few years I'd say it's almost impossible. In the lolkotaku article it states that "The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards." This tells me that AV wanted to get rid of Destiny just as much as Bungie wanted to split. So while again I'm optimistic I'm also being hesitant about this.

So I'm sorry for continuing my negativity streak lol. I will happily be wrong though, in fact I want to be. I want this split to somehow make this series live up to it's potential. It's just that after seeing 5 years or whatever of this franchise it's pretty clear that Bungie has made a lot of stupid design choices. To answer the question yes this is still a good thing, but it also feels like Bungie and its knights will scapegoat activision as long as they can even though Bungie has plenty of blame themselves.

In fact I'm waiting for the next year or whatever of content lol. If it sucks you're gonna hear "well they started this back when Activision still had control so-----". It's just like when D1 was bad and they excused it because D2 was being made. The core issues of the franchise need to be addressed and that's by Bungie, not Activision. Thanks for reading my wall of ramblings.

Wow...an actual, well thought out post by you. Ill be honest, i didnt think you had it in you.

Also honestly, Ive never been a fan of the way you post around here and while i have understood your dislike of Destiny and Bungie and Activision, there were many times where i just ended up shaking my head because of how you expressed those opinions.

Nevertheless, i do agree with your post completely. Very well said
Chapter 7, that's all you need to say to a Valkyria fan, they'll know what you mean - Celestial Damnation

User Info: randomsentinel

randomsentinel
1 week ago#7
sephiroth068 posted...
Wow...an actual, well thought out post by you. Ill be honest, i didnt think you had it in you.

Also honestly, Ive never been a fan of the way you post around here and while i have understood your dislike of Destiny and Bungie and Activision, there were many times where i just ended up shaking my head because of how you expressed those opinions.

Nevertheless, i do agree with your post completely. Very well said

<3
http://www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM
Rathalos for MVC3! "This is my last response to you forever" - XxZiomaxX

User Info: BoxTheMuppet

BoxTheMuppet
1 week ago#8
randomsentinel posted...

This. All of this.
#1 at absolutely nothing!

User Info: XGeass

XGeass
1 week ago#9
randomsentinel posted...

While i agree with all of this, at the very least i doubt Bungie will push all end game items as micro transactions. That move was clearly done by Activision.
Got Jalter in Fate GO. Wil probably be the only limited 5* I get with how the game treats me though.

User Info: Sloth9230

Sloth9230
1 week ago#10
Deej is still bungo
A Valiant Vain Villain
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Destiny no longer with Activision!