• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. I just started Forsaken, and I'm very confused. *spoilers*

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
3 months ago#1
Gameplay wise, so far it seems better than the main campaign and I absolutely love it. But what's going on with the story and setting? I didn't play Destiny 1 if that helps.

1. Why is there a prison in the middle of nowhere full of evil aliens. Like what's the point?

2. Are weapons that can kill ghosts new, or is this a known danger and Cayde got unlucky?

3. Are the dude who killed Cayde and his sister people I should know about? As it stands, I have no idea who he is, who his sister is/was, or what the hell he is doing. I could understand what the Cabal was doing in the main story without reference, but here it's just a question mark.

4. Is there an in-game universe reason that Rasputin can't or wouldn't just melt the escaping convicts with that huge army of war sats he launched at the end of the Mars expansion? He obviously wouldn't care about getting revenge for Cayde (and we need something to do), but you'd think the mass of mutated Fallen spiraling out into the solar system would be on his radar.

User Info: tom_cat_01

tom_cat_01
3 months ago#2
Okay... some background.

Hundreds of years ago, when a mysterious force called The Darkness entered the solar system, a huge fleet of human ships fled earth, wanting to get away.

But when the Traveler sacrificed itself, and sent out the shockwave that pushed back The Darkness, this fleet of ships got caught in the middle. They were all destroyed, which created a gigantic graveyard of derelict spaceships. Even though this was hundreds of years ago, the ships are still there, and we call this place The Reef.

The crews of the ships were sucked into another dimension, which they called The Distributory, and they were reborn as The Awoken. Time runs faster in The Distributory, so one of our years is many, many years for them.

Eventually some of The Awoken in the Distributory returned to our universe, lead by Queen Mara Sov, and they set up home in what remained of the (to them) ancient ruins of their former fleet: The Reef.

Over time the Awoken of the Reef became quite a powerful faction in the solar system. They made many enemies, and so they build the Prison of Elders in The Reef to keep their enemies contained. This is the prison you're asking about.

In Destiny 1, a Hive God called Oryx attacked the solar system. The Queen was killed in the attack (or so it seemed at the time) and her brother, Uldren, was injured. Now, years later, Uldren is having visions of his sister, and following the orders she gives him. You'll have to keep playing to find out why.

As for the weapon: no, it's nothing special. Ghosts have always been able to die. For story purposes: it was a good shot at a time when Cayde should have been more vigilant and not pulled out his ghost.

As for Rasputin: he is very aloof. He helps us when he feels like it, and ignores us the rest of the time. Human affairs and concerns are something he dabbles in from time to time.
I have a blog about Science Fiction books: http://tomcatintheredroom.com/

User Info: Disruptive_01

Disruptive_01
3 months ago#3
Tom_Cat is spot on. Here's a video format:

Prison of Elders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hPBin0UI4

Taken King Cinematic: https://youtu.be/rAZOVt4K8Tw?t=42

3. Are the dude who killed Cayde and his sister people I should know about?

You mean Ace? Entry from his journal pages: "- so there you have it, Ace, that's why I did what I did. I had no choice, really. It was that or the great beyond. Just know your dad did what he had to do if I ever wanted to see you and your mother again. You probably won't recognize me, since I'll be, well, a robot and all, but I'll find you, I promise-

- from the journals of cayde-6"
Maybe this world is another planet's hell. Experience teaches only the teachable. - Aldous Huxley
PSN: Chromedflame

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
3 months ago#4
Bravo gents, I thought about trying to explain s*** but I know, I am no lore scholar.

However, the Raspy thing is a glaring flaw that Bungie has very often with DLCs - they ignore each other. What happens in one rarely, if ever, translates into another, even if they are allegedly in chronological order.

User Info: AbraCadaver

AbraCadaver
3 months ago#5
Excellent read tom cat.

Is it known how much time passed for them while they were in the Distributory? Or just a vague lots of time, and they now know far more than us? Seems ominous, along with some of the queens dialogue.
Roger that.

User Info: tom_cat_01

tom_cat_01
3 months ago#6
AbraCadaver posted...
Excellent read tom cat.

Is it known how much time passed for them while they were in the Distributory? Or just a vague lots of time, and they now know far more than us? Seems ominous, along with some of the queens dialogue.

I don't think it's known in terms of a number of years, but the lore generally talks about it in terms of centuries, at least.
I have a blog about Science Fiction books: http://tomcatintheredroom.com/

User Info: AbraCadaver

AbraCadaver
3 months ago#7
Thanks man, that's intriguing. Explains why the queen seems to view us as meddling children hehe
Roger that.

User Info: c0sa n0stra

c0sa n0stra
3 months ago#8
Awoken are basically space elves, trying their darndest to be aloof and mysterious.

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
3 months ago#9
Thanks!

User Info: advancewarsnut

advancewarsnut
3 months ago#10
Rasputin in particular has been retconned so many times that details such as "who is he" or "what's his purpose" aren't going to have definitive answers unless literally all you know about him came from the Warmind expansion.

If you played D1, Rasputin was an AI in control of a huge network of military satellites. His core was located on Earth. The Vanguard knew where it was, and they also learned the hard way that Rasputin doesn't like visitors. That being said, we help Rasputin out when he gets attacked by Hive and Fallen at certain points in D1. Early on in D1's story, we activate a satellite array to map the cosmos and figure out where we're going next, and it also happens to expand Rasputin's access to his own satellites.

Later in D1, when we're on Mars, the Cabal are trying to hack into a computer network in a tower somewhere, and we discover that Rasputin got in there somehow and was keeping the Cabal out.

This got retconned with D2's Warmind expansion. Now, Rasputin's core was always on Mars, that thing on Earth we were defending in D1 was vaguely associated with him and still important but not all-important, he suddenly likes visitors again as long as they're named Ana Bray, and he's apparently incapable of dealing a worm god by himself even though I tickled it to death with Nameless Midnight last April.
"hi 911 i like to report a trolling pls help" "ok where did the trolling occur"
"on gamefaqs sir" *click* *dial tone*
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. I just started Forsaken, and I'm very confused. *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived