• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft Remastered
  3. How Blizzard Handles a Remaster Vs. Bethesda

User Info: KeySharkz

KeySharkz
3 years ago#1
1. Starcraft Remastered uses the original game as a base, keeps all core gameplay in tact, makes it so you can use it or the original game to play against people.
2. Spec wise, runs on a toaster even if you are trying to get 4K
3. Everything has been redone in high quality.
4. Devs listened to what the fans wanted.
5. Sold for $15, not $60
6. Modernized to work on the modern Battle.net Platform
7. Devs give you the option to play the original game for free so you can try before you buy.
8. $15 for perhaps one of the best gaming experiences ever made.
9. Free content given away in Blizzards other games just for purchasing it.

Bethesda:

1. Up the game to 1080p with the same s***ty framerate.
2. Install a texture mod.'
3. Break mods.
4. Resell for $60 on consoles.
5. Force people to buy it for $60 on PC if they didn't already own it.
6. Still keep the original version up for sale.

User Info: hailthorn

hailthorn
3 years ago#2
This is the worst comparison I have ever seen.
\o\ lol /o/ \o\ lol /o/ - I'm not a good poster, I'm not a bad poster, I'm THE poster!
#1 AJ Styles fan. Violence against children is never acceptable.

KeySharkz
3 years ago#3
hailthorn posted...
This is the worst comparison I have ever seen.

Except it's factual.

Bethesda re-releases Skyrim on PS4/Xbox 1 for $60, the PC version of the ORIGINAL game is only $20 with all the DLC. You can buy that, install mods and make it look BETTER than the remaster. The remaster also features pretty much all the same bugs, slowdowns and issues. Literally all Bethesda did was bring the game into 1080p on consoles (couldn't even get it in 60FPS) and resell it for $60.

Blizzard literally made the original game FREE, and you can use the OG game to play against remastered, so you can literally try the FULL game before you buy, charged $15 for the remaster which includes the expansion pack (Making it cheaper than the OG game has been for years too as the battlechest for many years was $20), and didn't just slap a texture mod onto the game, they actually had to redo all the sprites by hand.

Blizzard put more work into this remaster and gave it away for such a tiny price vs. Bethesda who just copied some mods they saw, and resold the game for a full $60.

hailthorn
3 years ago#4
Skyrim is full priced because it's a newer game. Blizzard can afford to re-release an old game like Starcraft and sell it cheaply.

You also failed to mention that Bethesda included DLC in the price which is still full price. It also added mods on consoles (a move many have enjoyed). And it fixed major framerate issues. And it's a more recent game with massive popularity. Starcraft was released in the 90s.

And it's cute Blizzard made the OG Starcraft free like Bethesda made Elder Scrolls I and II free. And you might notice all of these games were released in the 90s.

But finally just because one company decides to give away free s*** doesn't automatically mean other companies need to.

Skyrim isn't anything like Starcraft in the long run though so I have no idea why you're comparing the two. It's nonsensical. If you're too poor to buy a full priced game don't buy it. Super simple stuff, lad.
\o\ lol /o/ \o\ lol /o/ - I'm not a good poster, I'm not a bad poster, I'm THE poster!

KeySharkz
3 years ago#5
hailthorn posted...
Skyrim is full priced because it's a newer game. Blizzard can afford to re-release an old game like Starcraft and sell it cheaply.

You also failed to mention that Bethesda included DLC in the price which is still full price. It also added mods on consoles (a move many have enjoyed). And it fixed major framerate issues. And it's a more recent game with massive popularity. Starcraft was released in the 90s.

And it's cute Blizzard made the OG Starcraft free like Bethesda made Elder Scrolls I and II free. And you might notice all of these games were released in the 90s.

But finally just because one company decides to give away free s*** doesn't automatically mean other companies need to.

Skyrim isn't anything like Starcraft in the long run though so I have no idea why you're comparing the two. It's nonsensical. If you're too poor to buy a full priced game don't buy it. Super simple stuff, lad.

Skyrim came out 5 years ago. You can buy the full game and all the DLC for $20. Bumping it up to 1080p and slapping a texture mod on doesn't make it suddenly worth $60. That's not how that works. On consoles the game STILL runs in 30FPS even after 5 years and newer hardware. That's "fixing the major framerate issue" apparently?

You can literally buy the Legendary Edition of Skyrim used for like $15-20 on consoles and on PC for $20. So I don't see your point there.

Starcraft is massively popular as well, it's still being played to this day with a fairly active professional scene still.

I also love your statements about me being too poor to buy a full priced game and that just because one company gives away free games doesn't mean others shouldn't. I love how you are openly trying to defend a company's right and ability to siphon money out of you and make them more multi-millionaires against your own interests. Seriously companies not charging $60 for remasters benefits you. Companies giving away free products benefits you. And yet you wish to defend their right to rip you off and that's hilarious to me. I praise a company for making a move that shows they don't just want your money, they want to give you a fair price, with plenty of options and you are sitting there saying that if someone doesn't like getting ripped off they are poor.

Lul.

hailthorn
3 years ago#6
Okay, I'll grant that what I said was out of line. I meant it as a joke but it didn't come out that way. So I apologize. Although it feels like you pick and choose what to respond to.

Secondly they didn't just bump it up to 1080p and ad texture mods. They included the ability to mod on consoles. This part you left out for some reason. I'm not sure how much work that involved but I'm sure it involved some work .

Thirdly you keep talking about free things. To reiterate Blizzard made a game from the 90s free. Bethesda made 2 games from the 90s free. They both did it.

Now as to your final paragraph. I am defending their right to charge whatever they want for their product because I support capitalism. It's not siphoning money. Games are literally a luxury item. And no company should feel pressured to give anything away because another company opted to make a game released decades ago free all of a sudden. That's nonsensical.

But here's the thing. If people don't buy into what Bethesda is doing then they will stop. Why? They're not profiting. Also I greatly enjoyed the remastered version of Skyrim on my PS4 and have no qualms with the price nor the product.

But yes I defend their right to "rip me off" because I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. In a free market people speak with their wallets. So clearly a lot of people aren't agreeing with you that it's a rip off. But I think having this expectation that prices should be lower or you should get free stuff is quite frankly infantile.

But this is my last response as I highly doubt either one of us is going to budge on our opinion. Have a nice day.

KeySharkz
3 years ago#7
"Ability to mod on consoles."

Literally it's limited and the ability to mod is literally saying "we gave you the ability to add content to the game that we didn't create and put no work into making, so we feel we should charge your more money." You're defending a company's right to basically charge you for other people's work.

The PC version literally already did all the crap the console "remaster" did. All they did was sell you something that PC users have already had for over 5 years and was free to them. How can you support such a thing?

Bethesda gave away 2 games that were no longer supported. Starcraft was actually still supported and being sold when they gave it away. It was still in stores even.

Capitalism is about competition. When your competition is treating your customers better than you, you should feel inclined to get competitive. I love how you are defending practices that literally are designed to just get more money for less work and have convinced yourself that somehow this makes capitalism better. Bethesda sold you the SAME game with minor improvements for $60. The same gave that was available with all those improvements for FREE on PC.

People keep buying into that crap because of people like you. People that will defend bad practices. People who will tell you not to care about a company trying to get $60 for the exact same game. Companies have spent years breeding followers that will defend their practices to others.

Just because people are stupid and buy a crappy game for $60 doesn't mean they are right.

I didn't say that prices should be lower or free. I am merely stating that a company who remastered a game gave the game away at a REDUCED price and offered the original for free instead of charging a full $60 and that is far more consumer friendly. That's a company who actually is trying to care about you as more than just a wallet.

I was playing Skyrim with ALL those "features" on PC since 2012 and I paid $20. If you were foolish enough to buy it again for $60 and have convinced yourself that you're somehow getting a good deal, then that's on you. I think it's sad when people come at you for expecting game companies to actually put in more work to get money and instead tell us we should accept reselling the same game with minor improvements for FULL PRICE. Full price should be reserved for a new original piece of work or such a huge overhaul it's basically making the entire game from scratch or the same amount of work.

When people make arguments of "oh games are luxury items" and "stop buying games if you're so poor" that's literally companies making you talk like a puppet. Shame the consumer for not liking their practices. This is why I game on PC, PC gamers protect their own kind, not some big corporation who is just trying to find more ways to get cash for little to no work. And the sad part is they have enough fanboys who will accept it that make it profitable. Here's the reality: it doesn't even take a majority to make these practice profitable. So when you say "well if they are making a profit clearly people disagree with you!", you're wrong. Studies even prove for microtransactions that the vast majority of the profit comes from 1% of gamers who are stupid enough to spend a CRAP TON on them.

That's my point. My point is Bethesda has gotten you to defend them doing less work. Skyrim Special Edition isn't a "new" game. It wasn't a full game remake. It wasn't that much work. Adding mod support is literally just adding a feature that the PC version has had for half a decade and has been handled better too.

User Info: Goodziilla

Goodziilla
3 years ago#8
I bought the original skyrim and got the remastered for free on steam. Now I have to play $15 if I want sc again

User Info: Fenriswolf

Fenriswolf
3 years ago#9
What a stupid comparison. People who own the original Skyrim + DLCs on Steam got the remaster for free. And SC is hindered precisely because it's linked to the original game, with the same barebones online system from 1998 with very little improvements. It's pretty much a glorified HD texture pack pasted on top of the 1998 game, and hell, one of its vaunted features, real time lighting, doesn't even work on video cards with less than 2GB video ram.
Hello
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft Remastered
  3. How Blizzard Handles a Remaster Vs. Bethesda
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A