• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft Remastered
  3. The old StarCraft + Brood War for free? What's the point?

User Info: Synch

Synch
3 years ago#1
If I understood correctly, the original StarCraft and the Brood War expansion will be downloadable for free? I saw the improved graphics, but honestly it's not a stellar jump way ahead that would completely shatter the old version into tiny pieces. There are barely a few extra animations here and there for explosions, nothing smoother with the characters themselves and updated graphics with admittedly a crispier look, but that's all. I'm sure they will also propose a brand new campaign, but the biggest part of the game is undoubtedly the online brawls, and they will look, well, just a bit better... So I don't really understand the concept of giving away the old game for free. Unless the Remastered is really, really inexpensive, what is the interest? Any idea?

User Info: HunterSC

HunterSC
3 years ago#2
It's primarily a marketing move by Blizzard. By releasing the original SC:BW for free this week a lot of new players will be introduced to the classic gameplay and it will inspire them to purchase the remastered version this summer. I think it's great, SC:BW licenses have been $10-20 forever so it's great they'll finally be free. There's so many great custom games to try, this huge influx of players will be fantastic.

Apparently there's another patch for classic SC this summer that will include a modern match making system.

User Info: Synch

Synch
3 years ago#3
Indeed, but let's take a bet. A car maker is selling a brand new car, and at the same time is just giving away the old model. You are told that the only notable difference is the look of the new car, which is slightly modernized, but it's the same engine, same handling and same everything. Would you buy the new car or stay with the old one for free? The fact that Blizzard is offering the option is stunning me, it's a risky bet!

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
3 years ago#4
Did you guys think the "remastered" footage didnt really look considerably better then the original footage?
This Space For Rent.

User Info: Balloon_Kid

Balloon_Kid
3 years ago#5
Most cars cost tens of thousands of dollars new, bad analogy.
100% unbiased

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
3 years ago#6
este914 posted...
Did you guys think the "remastered" footage didnt really look considerably better then the original footage?

Sprites are eternal in their greatness. I'm just glad for matchmaking and increased resolution.

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
3 years ago#7
I more question why they decided to release Starcraft Remastered.... instead of Remastering Warcraft 3. Its unplayable in its current state, which is honestly pissing me off as I want to play Footmen Frenzy so badly right now and I can't.

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
3 years ago#8
Warcraft III definitely deserves a remaster and I'm sure it will come in time.

User Info: TwoStrikes94

TwoStrikes94
3 years ago#9
does brood war have online matchmaking now, or will that be a remastered thing
http://i.imgur.com/U5y3b.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoAQOiqKRg

User Info: TwoStrikes94

TwoStrikes94
3 years ago#10
and the idea is that there is no point

it's awesome you have the chance to essentially donate money for blizzard to show interest in brood war, but also get something neat out of it.
http://i.imgur.com/U5y3b.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoAQOiqKRg
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft Remastered
  3. The old StarCraft + Brood War for free? What's the point?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A