• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. The Boys comic is quite overrated (spoilers)
Kayno187 2 months ago#1
I've read the first 16 issues of it. It started off pretty strong with Garth Ennis' typical writing. But then, the pace of the comic slowed considerably and most of it consists of Butcher and Hughie babbling on and on in walls of texts about absolutely nothing. Does it get any better? Does the pace pick up? Or is the entire comic just about how insecure poor Hughie is and Butcher trying to comfort him?
Is he a man or a machine? Kayno187 is the name
60fps 2 months ago#2
It's more, but it does mostly revolve around their relationship.

I personally love it, but everyone may not be into how wordy it is. At it's coreits it's a political conspiracy that mirrors comic industry politics between creators and publishers. All their dialog matters, but I guess that doesn't come into greater focus until later.

I say keep going if you got thst far because it really pays off. Even if you have to gloss over some dialog on your first read, I can assure you youll go back on your second to see how it all fits.

The mini series all matter too.
Waking up to some Nancy Reagan.( o o)
SengokuNoMaou 2 months ago#3
No f***ing duh.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198154850722.png http://i.imgur.com/JcncC.gif http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/SengokuNoMaou.gif
Storm_0wl 2 months ago#4
Kripke shouldnt have cut the Raynor/Butcher relationship, then again puritan americans hate sex so that wouldnt fly on TV.

I loved how Butcher always put that b**** on her place.
TheRealKal-El 2 months ago#5
Storm_0wl posted...
Kripke shouldnt have cut the Raynor/Butcher relationship, then again puritan americans hate sex so that wouldnt fly on TV.

it’s not on TV and show has depicted sex several times, so…

I loved how Butcher always put that b**** on her place.
It was dumb
60fps 2 months ago#6
TheRealKal-El posted...
It was dumb

It was significant.
Kayno187 2 months ago#7
60fps posted...
It's more, but it does mostly revolve around their relationship.

I personally love it, but everyone may not be into how wordy it is. At it's coreits it's a political conspiracy that mirrors comic industry politics between creators and publishers. All their dialog matters, but I guess that doesn't come into greater focus until later.

I say keep going if you got thst far because it really pays off. Even if you have to gloss over some dialog on your first read, I can assure you youll go back on your second to see how it all fits.

The mini series all matter too.

It's funny though. In the beginning, I found Hughie to be a sympathetic character. But after he killed Blarney(I think), he became a whining crybaby that constantly had to be cheered up by Butcher and it made me dislike Hughie.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel like The Boys is as good as Garth's other works like The Preacher or his Punisher comics
Is he a man or a machine? Kayno187 is the name
60fps 2 months ago#8
That's fair, but there is growth. It really doesn't end the way it started.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. The Boys comic is quite overrated (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived