• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Realistically, what would comics have to do to appeal to manga readers?

User Info: TheRealKal-El

TheRealKal-El
3 months ago#91
Johnny Blaque posted...
Cooking: can't remember the names of them but there is a recent series about running a diner cafe, one with anthropomorphic animals and the other with humans.
Can't get better than Chew or iZombie, lmaoooo.

User Info: Johnny Blaque

Johnny Blaque
3 months ago#92
TheRealKal-El posted...
Can't get better than Chew or iZombie, lmaoooo.

Oh yeah. Also Hungry Ghosts and Starve as two more cooking comics.

User Info: Yi_Long

Yi_Long
3 months ago#93
Comics are usually done by too many writers and artists, so all the stories, the characters, the QUALITY, it's all over the place. For example, John Byrne's Superman is MY Superman, but the character has been done by so many writers who simply didn't understand/get the character, with stories and villains that didn't connect with me.

With Manga, it's usually just 1 writer who's in charge. He/she wrote that world, those characters, and understands them and takes them only in directions that make sense for that writer, and with that, the readers/fans.

This way, within a particular series, there is simply a consistency which isn't there with comic book characters. As a result, we see comics just going for short term success, too often with shock-value story lines or OTT cross-over events.

You have great manga, and you have great comics. With comics, it just depends on who is/are on that run. You can have an amazing Iron Man run one year, and a completely different and terrible run by another creative team the next year.

You don't see that happening with manga. There's more consistency, it's more stand-alone (no crossovers with other series), and so a manga either appeals to you, or it doesn't, but it stays to true to what the original artist(s) are trying to convey with their characters and story.

User Info: TheRealKal-El

TheRealKal-El
3 months ago#94
^ Sorry, but that’s a tired excuse.

That only really happens with Big2 comics, so by that logic, manga readers would be all over Savage Dragon, Bone or Cerebus. All of those are long standing series by the same creator. Two of those are even in black and white, just like how manga fans like it!

And while Big2 comics would certainly benefit from being more streamlined, it’s not the fact that it’s a multi effort that prevents comics from reaching more audiences. By that logic, TV shows wouldn’t appeal to manga fans since they also use many writers.

User Info: Antiyonder

Antiyonder
3 months ago#95
Also Case Closed (Detective Conan) while it's all done by one writer is a sign that even without a rotating team that quality can still slip.

User Info: Dionysus

Dionysus
3 months ago#96
If there's any actual advantage of Manga over comics, it's the fact that they have extremely popular anthology books that serve as a launching pad for new IPs in an affordable package. The biggest publishers in US comics have a great system for marketing their old IPs including movies, TV, toys, and games, but they just don't have a pipeline for new stuff. And the dominance of the old stuff probably stifles the ability of new stuff to break through.

As for why Manga trades sell well stateside, that probably a confluence of a lot of factors. The US publishers aren't even focused on trades. I'm sure they make a lot more from single issues.

User Info: melvinmaverick

melvinmaverick
3 months ago#97
Create a Superman Anime with Shounen level action=easy seller and manga audience invested.

Focus on story, good action and a beginning, middle and ending.
In the end Superman becomes Superman prime one million and defeats his greatest villain in a cosmic 1on 1.
Superman defeats anyone, stay sore troll.

User Info: ryanm32

ryanm32
3 months ago#98
I feel like I can add a good perspective to this conversation because up until about two years ago, I read exclusively manga (as far as graphic novel stuff goes).

I got into comics partly because of the marvel films. And I enjoyed many character designs and thought, "what am I missing here?" So in that regard, comics didn't have to do anything other than have characters I at least understood through cultural osmosis. But there were two GIANT things holding me back and why I just stuck to manga for so long.

1. volumes, issues, collections, and the mess of continuity.
Everyone here knows that comic organization, continuity, collections are an utter disaster. But I believe that people who have been reading comics for a long time take for granted how horrendously unapproachable, dense, arbitrary, and alienating it is. Even publishers skip issues or overlap collections, it's just the worst.

If I saw a cover I liked, I would see "collecting issue 450-455 of "this," issues 20-25" of this and "annual #1 of this. It's easy to say, "just read it," but if you have limited funds and you want a complete story, this just may not be it. Even now, having some more familiarity, I still pick up something and am often not sure how we got this set-up i.e. how a city was destroyed, why this character is in space, the status of these two and why they aren't talking. Sure, you can work around it and enjoy the present story. But it starts you off on the wrong foot and feels like you are missing pivotal pieces to a larger story. I won't even go into continuity which I basically ignore and take each run/series as its own thing. I cannot emphasize how unfriendly and impenetrable it is and it does a disservice to the stories.

Of course, manga's uniformity is clean, logical, and collector/reading friendly.

2.the deluge of content

Secondly, there's the feeling of where to start, and when you have decades of history, this can be intimidating. Most manga has a clear starting point. Most series also have a cap or ending point that feels at least somewhat realized or appropriate (with numerous exceptions). I feel like I'll never reach an actual end to any major comic I read. So my enthusiasm for even starting is diminished because where do I even start this story? It's easy to say "anywhere." But as a consumer, I have to do homework and make decisions about where to begin, ultimately finding out "nah, that wasn't a good spot because this leads into this, the character is interpreted oddly here," and so on.

I will add that the indie publishers sort of run away from these concerns, and have done well. But I feel the DC/Marvel of it all sorts of sucks the air out of the room, if you will. Essentially, we need more people reading more varied comic content for these long-standing American comic issues to be the norm.

www.culturetease.com

User Info: battleblast

battleblast
3 months ago#99
ryanm32 posted...
It's easy to say, "just read it," but if you have limited funds and you want a complete story, this just may not be it

About the only thing that helps with limited funds is making better use of them.

1. Libraries. With the pandemic this isn't as easy, but most will offer a digital alternative. Sites like Hoopla. Which can give you access to things you'd never even think of picking up on your own dime, and giving a shot.
  2. Pay attention to FREE stuff. During the pandemic alone Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, Valiant, Image, Dynamite, and others have given away a lot of trades. Hell Marvel in the wake of Chadwick Boseman's death gave away about 70-80% of Black Panther. Only really missing most of his team/event stuff. Free comic book day often comes once a year, and has digital versions online. Also topics like this aim to tell people about it when they catch it: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/79236891
  3. Comic Subscription Services. Marvel Unlimited, and DC Universe Infinite both have libraries that stretch back decades covering a wide number of books. Comixology Unlmited often offers more Originals(Books they pay to create. Sometimes using popular characters), and more indies, but can lack the depth of the big two. You'll also might be surprised what Amazon Prime lets members read for free.

As for hitting snags where you don't know it all, ask. Indie stuff might be harder to get answers for, but people can surprise you. Still this is a comic discussion board, and while it may be easy to go to Comicvine, Fandom wikis, and wikis in general that just lacks the personal touch that might come with debates, and weird behind the scenes stories.
"I almost killed Gerry Conway." - Stan Lee
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN

User Info: Lupin the 4th

Lupin the 4th
3 months ago#100
ohiostate124 posted...
Funny seeing you guys turn on each other.
Who the f*** is "you guys?" I've never been part of any of that cancel culture bulls***. And anyone who's seen my post history on this board also knows I've always hated ham-fisted agenda-driven nonsense like making Iceman gay just because and not even giving a decent story reason for it.

So please, tell me who "you guys" are. Just because I have some left-leaning proclivities doesn't mean I follow the herd mentality and believe every little thing liberals believe in. I'd still consider myself mostly independent with a slight left lean on some issues.
The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again! Ha Ha Ha!)
3DS FC: 2793 0791 3739 PSN: Arsene_Lupin_IV
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Realistically, what would comics have to do to appeal to manga readers?
  • Topic Archived