• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. When does The Walking Dead comic get good?

User Info: jw91

jw91
3 weeks ago#1
I've tried to get into it twice, being somewhat of a fan of the show at one point. The first time, I couldn't make it past a couple of issues because I wasn't a fan of the art style, but I got over it.

This time around, I at least managed to finish a little bit past the first volume (around the time Hershel appears) and while I found it a perfectly decent read, there's something about it that's missing which I found extremely powerful in the best seasons of the show, which is the nuanced human interactions throughout.

The comic, by contrast, seems to rely almost entirely on exposition and is structured in such a way that its intended dramatic beats fall short or are at times outright missed. For example, Shane's arc was better executed in the show than in the comic, and not just because they had him live longer in the show. His development seems to happen after his death, rather than before or during, and it felt like the writer was consciously following predetermined plot beats rather than let the story flow naturally and organically. I get that plot beats are always predetermined by writers, but it shouldn't feel like they are. For example, the introduction of Tyreese is handled rather sluggishly, but luckily the character is a good one.

I also found the dialogue to be a bit stilted, but then again that tends to be an issue with a lot of comics, probably due to space. Still, I've read better, even within the medium.

Also, comic-Dale is a nosy jackass compared to the instantly likable show-Dale.

The way the deaths happen is also extremely predictable... like, as soon as Donna, an otherwise minor character, suddenly got her own monologue about finding a good place and making peace with the younger women she's constantly at odds with, she was instantly killed. It seems like it's way too predictable for a horror comic (and NOT just because I've seen the show, as the comic is substantially different from it) and not nuanced enough for the deeper narrative that the writer is intending to tell.

Should I stick around through Volume 2? Like I said, I don't think the comic is awful, just not particularly amazing like it was hyped up to me.

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
3 weeks ago#2
I've read up to the beginning of the Negan saga, don't know how many issues that was, but it does pick up after the farm. Some deaths are exrtremely predictable, some aren't at all even if you watched the show.
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 weeks ago#3
Well the show's terrible so maybe you're just bad?
Wait, what? I heard about the Netflix thing but how does the music thing work? You get partial songs or what? - Fade2Scrub420

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
3 weeks ago#4
This feels like a case of "thing I experienced 1st is better". I feel like the comic's better for that very reason. Well... that and the fact that TWD season 2 is a strong contender for worst thing to ever air on television. Oh and Andrea...f*** show Andrea. Ruined an awesome character.

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
3 weeks ago#5
Yes. f*** Show Andrea right in the ear. I actively rooted for her death every second of that show.
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

jw91
3 weeks ago#6
TimePharaoh posted...
Well the show's terrible so maybe you're just bad?

Yeah, well, I think your mother is bad. So there.

I feel that I extrapolated exactly why I feel the way I feel about the comic beyond just "well I watched the show first, so show is better, durrr!"

In any case, I will continue on in hopes that it gets better. Will ditch if it doesn't pick up after the farm.

Dynedux posted...
Yes. f*** Show Andrea right in the ear. I actively rooted for her death every second of that show.

This is true. I actually am looking forward to how the comic-Andrea develops. Something about the actress in the show just made her seem unlikable to me. It was pretty obvious that the character was a misfire in the adaptation.

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
3 weeks ago#7
You have made your point clearly. It appears I haven't.
You experienced those story beats for the first time while watching the show. Experiencing it again will have a different impact.

Several of your criticisms can be applied to the show.
Every character death not from the comic could be seen a mile away due to a somewhat minor character suddenly having an entire episode or plotline dedicated to them (Beth). Or the entirety of season 2 where the big drama of "will they find the little girl alive" 's conclusion you could see coming the very second she went missing.

Show Dale's better? Well show Andrea's an atrocity compared to her comic counterpart. Practically every aspect of her got dumped onto Carol.

Also if you want a quality discussion, maybe try not taking someone's argument and adding "durr" to it. I wasn't the one s***ting on you, but you can bet now I'll be more inclined to in future discussions

jw91
3 weeks ago#8
fusespliff posted...
You have made your point clearly. It appears I haven't.
You experienced those story beats for the first time while watching the show. Experiencing it again will have a different impact.

Several of your criticisms can be applied to the show.
Every character death not from the comic could be seen a mile away due to a somewhat minor character suddenly having an entire episode or plotline dedicated to them (Beth). Or the entirety of season 2 where the big drama of "will they find the little girl alive" 's conclusion you could see coming the very second she went missing.

Show Dale's better? Well show Andrea's an atrocity compared to her comic counterpart. Practically every aspect of her got dumped onto Carol.

Also if you want a quality discussion, maybe try not taking someone's argument and adding "durr" to it. I wasn't the one s***ting on you, but you can bet now I'll be more inclined to in future discussions

My apologies; you are correct. My sassiness came not from your comment but from the other guy's, and it accidentally spilled onto my general-address reply, most of which, in the end, applied to you. For that I am sorry.

And yes, show-Andrea was a pretty obvious misstep.

Season 2 in general was kind of oddly structured; I didn't dislike it the way many on here obviously did, but it did feel strange. I did like Season 1 quite a lot.

Having read a bit further, I do think the comic so far is miles better than the bad seasons of the show (i.e. 2, 6, 7), about as good as the OK seasons (i.e. 3, 4, 8) and not as good as the best seasons (i.e. 1, 5, 9). This is, of course, all just my opinion.

In retrospect, you may be on to something when you say that experiencing the show first gave me an unwitting bias, even if I was actively trying to avoid that. The same thing happened to be when I watched Interview with the Vampire and then read the novel it was based on. The novel was great, but the film had more of an impact on me by virtue of being completely new to me when I watched it.

User Info: tommybel89

tommybel89
3 weeks ago#9
It's such a brisk read that you're going to get to something cool really soon if you read on. I don't know what else to say. I read the 3 compendiums pretty quickly. The series is a goddamn page turner.
Go Leafs Go
http://www.last.fm/user/Disposableher0

User Info: Pizza_Deliverer

Pizza_Deliverer
3 weeks ago#10
fusespliff posted...
This feels like a case of "thing I experienced 1st is better". I feel like the comic's better for that very reason. Well... that and the fact that TWD season 2 is a strong contender for worst thing to ever air on television. Oh and Andrea...f*** show Andrea. Ruined an awesome character.

See I had the opposite effect. I started the show first. Got through the first 3-4 seasons before I started the comic and I loved the comic. It was different enough, but some things were still obvious.
Reading the comic kind of ruined the show for me though. I still like it enough to get triggered when people say it’s bad, but I don’t like it as much as I used to. I just get mad when it drastically changes something from the comic.

And I agree with the other guy that said it was a real page turner. Once I got to the prison arc I was flying through it. I couldn’t get enough for a while. The post Negan arc was meh for me because I was trade waiting and would forget who some of the side characters were after 6 months of not reading. So I tried collecting monthly and that was a drag too. I’m not done with the series, I’m like 20 issues or so behind, but I might just buy that 4th compendium and read it cover to cover.
Look Ma, no sig!!
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. When does The Walking Dead comic get good?
  • Topic Archived