• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Just for fun let's list comic facts that non comics fans don't know about.

User Info: Maetch

Maetch
4 weeks ago#321
The only pre-MCU Iron Man story anybody really remembers is "Demon in a Bottle", which is why Marvel continues to push the idea that Tony's only true enemy is himself.

User Info: LazorGuns

LazorGuns
4 weeks ago#322
Maetch posted...
The only pre-MCU Iron Man story anybody really remembers is "Demon in a Bottle", which is why Marvel continues to push the idea that Tony's only true enemy is himself.

Actually the 2005 Extremis arc was very important for "rebooting" Tony's character with a new sci-fi origin that hugely influenced the MCU. That's pretty well-known.
- Tony has always been a much more serious figure, and a general hard-ass with little patience for messing up. His snarky demeanor in the MCU was improvised by RDJ, and has since been made his own personality in the source.
Ultimate Iron Man, son. Soembody already mentioned it, but he had that smarmy smugness to him. And a brain tumour! We can give RDJ all the credit, but when I watched that first Ironman film, I could see where he was getting his riff from.
Soi Disantra.

User Info: Kaz13

Kaz13
4 weeks ago#324
Maetch posted...
Alongside Extremis I'll take Civil War for 5000, Alex.
I had a god damned P L A N

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
4 weeks ago#325
Maetch posted...

Demon in a bottle
Armor wars
Teen Tony
Extremis
Civil War

Nobody really knows the details but anyone who knows about iron man at least knows those 5 events were things in his history.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: tommybel89

tommybel89
4 weeks ago#326
That pretty much checks out. But I don't really know Teen Tony. And even though Armor Wars is known, I thought it was just fine.
Go Leafs Go
http://www.last.fm/user/Disposableher0

User Info: LazorGuns

LazorGuns
4 weeks ago#327
On a meta level, some facts about Stan Lee:

- Stan, like many other adults of his time, actually looked down on superheroes before Marvel. In the captions of Amazing Fantasy #15, he admits he would refer to them as "long underwear stories". I wouldn't say "hate" was the right word, he just thought little of them. Safe to say that his opinions changed later, for obvious reasons.
- Before that, his aspiration was being a "serious" writer, creating the Great American Novel in particular.
- Stan was almost 40 when first made Fantastic Four with Jack Kirby. The word is that Atlas Comics (then founded as Timely Comics) was on its last legs, and was a sinking ship that tried to rebrand itself as Marvel to remain relevant, with Fantastic Four being the final work that Stan would write expecting to bomb so he could get out of the industry and pursue acting. Three guesses as to how well that worked out.
- As he was in his 40s when he reached the height of his career, Stan sought to make up for lost time, specifically by shaping Marvel as the "cool" company compared to DC being old hat, and made many decisions that define the difference between Marvel and DC, such as: no one flying "just because", no sidekicks, more emphasis on the struggle between the heroes and the public, wider use of actual locations (NYC standing out of course), and everything happening in a single world (before DC had such a continuity).

User Info: marc55

marc55
4 weeks ago#328
LazorGuns posted...
Tony wasn't a public hero until Civil War in 2006, when he revealed himself to the world in support of the SHRA. Until then, he kept his identity as closely-guarded as Spider-Man, with even his superhero allies not even knowing who was behind the armor

his secret identity was revealed long before then

but he erased this knowledge from everyones mind even his friend captain america after being accidentaly conected to a villain mind control machine by the device he wears at all times to protect himself from being mind controlled

after defeating the villain he realized he gained control of his machine and could do whatever he wanted with peoples mind

he chose to erase his identity as iron man and before destroying it
There is no sound, no voice, no cry in all the world that can be heard... until someone listens.

User Info: Garioshi

Garioshi
4 weeks ago#329
Superboy was once literally Hitler
"I play with myself" - Darklit_Minuet, 2018

User Info: Antiyonder

Antiyonder
2 weeks ago#330
Another round mostly of DCAU stuff:

1. Selina Kyle actually wasn't blonde, but dark haired like other continuities. But during The Lost Years, she found out that the product she used was tested on animals and stopped using it.

2. The real Ivy remained away from Gotham as shown in "House & Garden" and moved in with a Pre-Swamp Thing Alec Holland, and merely left plant clones of herself to keep Batman off her trail and to watch over Harley. Still need to see Batman & Harley Quinn, but I'm guessing this might clash with this tidbit.

3. The Green Lantern from the BB era's name is Kairo which is a nod to Hal Jordon's sidekick in the 1960s GL shorts from Filmation.

4. More recent, but according to Batman/TMNT Adventures, Scarecrow's costume change was due to Crane discovering The Kraang from the Nickelodeon series of 2012 and wanting to look scarier.

And going into Back to the Future territory, Doc Brown's source of money for needed time travel precautions? He took some old silver dollars, went to 1938 and purchased some copies of Action Comics #1 to sell in 2015.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Just for fun let's list comic facts that non comics fans don't know about.
  • Post New Message