• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Really would like to understand the appeal of tthe Fantastic Four, please help

User Info: Superrpgman

Superrpgman
3 months ago#1
So I've read Fantastic Four 1 2 3 4 by Grant Morrison. It wasn't that bad, but I imagine that's because it's written by a comic book writer legend, and the art itself really draws you in. But it's an out of continuity side story.

Well, I tried reading more with the 2002-2005 run with the creative Creative Team: Mark Waid, and Mike Wierigno. It's supposed to be really good Tried read the first 3 issues and dear god did it irritate me.

The Human Torch is a colossal a****** who acts...well, like he does in the the two original movies. Constantly bullys h the person who is supposed to be his best friend, who already is constantly depressed and angry.

The Thing is an extremely annoying depressed child as well, who I kinda have a feeling permanently injures dozens of innocent people per week(and the only reason that it's injuries nstead of straight up manslaughter) is because...well, the plot says so. And he and the torch get away with it because they're rich white guys.

Then we got Mr. Fantastic. He seems like an excuse for the wrirters to come up with a bunch of technobabel.

And of course the comic is a massive exposition dump.

Can you please explain what i'm supposed to like here?
FC: SW-3046-2401-0737
Add me, esppecially if you like Indie games!

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
3 months ago#2
I honestly don't care much for the Fantastic Bore either. Having said that, read Hickman's FF. The amazingly badass moments that happen in that run managed to keep me entertained.

Superrpgman
3 months ago#3
I really don't care how about cool fight scenes are when I want the heroes to die horribly.

Edit: That said, it is part of the 100 best marvel stories from 1998-2015 project, so I will be giving it a shot too.

User Info: David-Bowie

David-Bowie
3 months ago#4
1234 isn't very good.

The Waid/Ringo run is their best showing as a family but it's a long story with the emotional beats really hitting starting in Sentient and Big Stuff, the story arcs after the first two issues.

If you're more interested in a Sci-Fi book with strong family elements, then read the original Stan and Jack run or Hickman's.
"Equivalent exchange, you syrup demon."

User Info: thegreatwumbo

thegreatwumbo
3 months ago#5
The appeal of it is that they are a family of adventurers. The series is fun because you get to see all of the strange adventures they go on and get to see them grow as a family.

If you are willing to give some older comics a chance, I recommend you read the original Lee and Kirby run. It may help you better understand the appeal. The John Byrne run is also good.
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies.

Superrpgman
3 months ago#6
David-Bowie posted...
If you're more interested in a Sci-Fi book with strong family elements, then read the original Stan and Jack run or Hickman's.

Yeah, I was hopig for strong family elements I can't really read anything before the early 2000's, but I will be giving hickman a chance.

Superrpgman
3 months ago#7
thegreatwumbo posted...
The appeal of it is that they are a family of adventurers. The series is fun because you get to see all of the strange adventures they go on and get to see them grow as a family.

Yeah, and this does interest me, only the effect is ruined because the characters are so annoying that I really don't care about anything else.

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
3 months ago#8
Superrpgman posted...
I really don't care how about cool fight scenes are when I want the heroes to die horribly.

Edit: That said, it is part of the 100 best marvel stories from 1998-2015 project, so I will be giving it a shot too.

I'm not talking about fight scenes, I'm talking about character moments. I seriously can't say anything about it without spoiling it, completely robbing those moments of their WTF-ery. Anyone who's read Hickman's FF knows exactly which moments I'm referring to.
Also for me personally, FF is at its best when Valeria and Franklin are at the center of a story.

User Info: The_Ivory_Man

The_Ivory_Man
3 months ago#9
Morrison's FF run isn't great, and isn't like most of their runs.

The Fantastic Four are interesting because they are a space family who all do care and trust every other member, as the explore the unfound cosmos and everything interesting out there.

Personally they are something that dropped off massively, people aren't Jack Kirby so you don't have these sprawling places ripped from imagination.
"Just because someone is killed doesn't mean they died" - Shojikan

User Info: ProjectSiolence

ProjectSiolence
3 months ago#10
Read the Hickman run
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Really would like to understand the appeal of tthe Fantastic Four, please help
  • Topic Archived