• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Bigger brand: Avengers or the X-Men?

User Info: pblimp360

pblimp360
4 weeks ago#41
This isn't much of a contest anymore. Avengers by a landslide.
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
4 weeks ago#42
Jonny2284 posted...
It really wouldn't. Avengers overtaking X-men as a brand has literally nothing to do with the comics.

This.

The ONLY reason the x-men (and spider-man) aren't still on top is they didnt have the rights to the movies.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: pycho316

pycho316
4 weeks ago#43
Nowadays I'd say definitely the Avengers.

Since the start of the MCU 10 years ago, the Avengers have become a huge commercial juggernaut and the X-Men have dropped off big time from a combination of s***ty stories and Marvel doing everything they could to bury the team because they didn't have the movie rights.

X-Men were huge in the 90s and maybe the first half of the 2000s but everything after that belongs to the Avengers.
"Give me some MEN." - TheCurseX2

User Info: Flammableghost

Flammableghost
4 weeks ago#44
Right now its the Avengers thanks to the MCU

X-men all time though
I made this sig to specifically waste your time.

User Info: shroom_ninja_X

shroom_ninja_X
4 weeks ago#45
Right now? Definitely the Avengers.

Of all time? I'm still going with X-men. The mutants ruled the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. Three things really sunk their relevancy recently however...

1. Years of convoluted storytelling, subpar writing, and lame characters finally caught up with them. Chris Claremont left very big shoes to fill in his first run. It doesn't help that the comicbook stories aren't allowed to breathe the way they used to due to constant relaunches and events.

2. Disney went out of their way to bury the mutants in various forms of media (cartoons, toys, games, etc.) because they didn't own the movie rights. They tried their best to make "fetch" happen with the Inhumans instead.

3. The movies generally have very little respect for the characters. They treat nearly everyone who isn't Wolverine or played by a big-name celebrity like an afterthought. New viewers and young people don't get invested in the characters because the filmmakers don't care, and longtime X-fans feel alienated because so many of their favorite characters from the comics/cartoons are irrelevant in the films.
Word to your mother.

User Info: CreekCo

CreekCo
4 weeks ago#46
The Xmen, like Scott, found the editorial staff to be their greatest enemies.
*Triggered*

User Info: Game Show

Game Show
4 weeks ago#47
X-Men has the longevity factor, but current Avengers overshadows anything X-Men has ever done and it's not even close

I think it'll be even more solidified if/when X-Men start joining the Avengers in the MCU like they did in the comics

Even if Avengers popularity eventually dips, I don't think it will be to the extent that they become a B-list team like they were
"When it comes to eating out, being a girl is the only way to go." - Ranma

User Info: Galactus21

Galactus21
4 weeks ago#48
Degalon posted...
Jonny2284 posted...
It really wouldn't. Avengers overtaking X-men as a brand has literally nothing to do with the comics.

This.

The ONLY reason the x-men (and spider-man) aren't still on top is they didnt have the rights to the movies.

Does circumstance really matter? Bottom line is, the Avengers has become Marvel's biggest brand and money maker of all time.

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
3 weeks ago#49
Galactus21 posted...
Degalon posted...
Jonny2284 posted...

This.

Does circumstance really matter? Bottom line is, the Avengers has become Marvel's biggest brand and money maker of all time.

Context matters

The point being X-men and Spiderman are still the better and more popular brands, but it's avengers that are getting the better exposure right now.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
3 weeks ago#50
TheRealKal-El posted...
Busiek's run was great, my favorite Avengers era.

But ultimately it was "more of the same".

In fact, the big appeal was Avengers back to basics after the excesses of the early 90s that killed the franchise.

And that was never really gonna get ahead with general audiences. Hawkeye's suit alone would prevent it, lmao.

BTW, isn't it amazing how it's a complete relic now? Glad we moved on.

But to be frank, Millar also gets too much credit for basically rehashing the first half of Heroes Reborn.

His only addition was cursing.

But it was nearly literally the same story and concept.

And I'm mad he gets so much credit when the MVP was Bryan Hitch and his amazing art and redesigns that made the characters super viable for movies. No f***ing pirate boots to be seen!

That's not fair to Millar. He also added the pop culture references that were hilariously outdated even a few years later. He's also responsible for making the A on Cap's cowl stand for a******, because it damn sure didn't stand for France.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Bigger brand: Avengers or the X-Men?
  • Topic Archived