• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. CRAZY RUMOR: Disney to shutdown Marvel comics late 2019 and outsource to IDW

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
1 week ago#1
NOTE: I STRONGLY, STRONGLY doubt this will happen. I will say that there is a 99.99% chance that this will NEVER happen. However, just reporting it since the "Diversity & Comics" guy on Youtube made a video about this and is throwing around this crazy theory:

Video title: Will Disney Close Down Marvel Comics When Their NYC Lease Ends In 2019?

Long story short, Marvel comic's lease at the New York offices ends sometime in 2019. Will Disney renew the lease? OR will they:

1) Shutdown Marvel comics in New York and move ALL of their comic book related offices to California.

OR

2) Shutdown ALL of Marvel comics and Disney will 100% outsource ALL Marvel comics properties to IDW comics. Keep in mind that IDW is publishing the Disney character comics like Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, etc, is publishing a young readers Star Wars comic, now IDW now has a Marvel Action Spider-man book meant for young readers that it is now publishing, will soon have a Marvel Action Avengers title and Marvel Action Black Panther title (all under IDW comics, NOT Marvel comics).

Personally, I think Disney will leave Marvel comics alone (99.99% certain Marvel will NEVER get shutdown and Disney isn't going to 100% outsource to IDW)... but this is what the Diversity and comics guy is blabbing about (and he shows off the IDW published Spider-man comic set in IDW's Marvel Action universe):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdF9HphtvLw
Creator of the most talked about 500 post topic on the Wii U board, the most populated board on Gamefaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72708411

User Info: wedgeskywalker9

wedgeskywalker9
1 week ago#2
I could see them moving to California to be closer to the corporate nerve center. Licensing them to IDW is just an anti-Marvel fever dream.
Official Iron Man of C&GN

User Info: David-Bowie

David-Bowie
1 week ago#3
hm...

a proven f***ing idiot theorizing about the #1 comics publisher being eaten up by a company that's bite sized in comparison
"Equivalent exchange, you syrup demon."

User Info: ohiostate124

ohiostate124
1 week ago#4
This topic is gonna be entertaining

User Info: TheRealKal-El

TheRealKal-El
1 week ago#5
Just gonna say two things:

1) Similar rumors were going around in March-June 2011 about DC rebooting at the end of Flashpoint and nobody believed it.
It happened.

2) Disney already outsources Disney stuff to IDW, so it's not impossible for them to expand their relationship.

Not saying this is true, but it's not entirely impossible.
If you want to support my art projects, please drop by my Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/juanisidro

User Info: TheRealKal-El

TheRealKal-El
1 week ago#6
David-Bowie posted...
he #1 comics publisher being eaten up by a company that's bite sized in comparison

Eh, the only real difference between the Marvel comics side and IDW is the amount of copies per issue.

For example, on LinkedIn, Marvel has 372 employees and IDW has 207.

If given the money by Disney to go on, I don't see how they would be unable to do it. Especially when they'll have plenty of Marvel veterans to hire from if Marvel Comics is dissolved.

A big reason why I think this is true is because IDW would be a "licensed publisher" rather than a creative one. We've seen plenty of PR disasters from Marvel in terms of creative and social justice stuff. But that's because Marvel has the liberty to pretty much do whatever they want. By being a licensed publisher, IDW would have to follow strict guidelines and pre-approval of everything by Disney.

Given how Disney cut Marvel Studios from Marvel Entertainment and made it its own division directly under Iger, I can see Disney doing the same with the comics and just dissolving their comic publishing company.
If you want to support my art projects, please drop by my Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/juanisidro

User Info: Unknown Nomad

Unknown Nomad
1 week ago#7
wedgeskywalker9 posted...
I could see them moving to California to be closer to the corporate nerve center. Licensing them to IDW is just an anti-Marvel fever dream.

Yeah, this seems most likely really, given this is what DC did as well
Hey there small business man!

User Info: _Spider_Venom

_Spider_Venom
1 week ago#8
TC if you agree this is nonsense why post it? No need to give D&C more publicity.
"Name's Ash. Housewares."

User Info: Muscle Buster

Muscle Buster
1 week ago#9
David-Bowie posted...
a proven f***ing idiot

We're not talking about you.
Don't look at me like that, you cretin.
Dark, Ambient, Awesome. https://cryochamber.bandcamp.com/

User Info: David-Bowie

David-Bowie
1 week ago#10
did you just "no u" me

f***in' genius right here
"Equivalent exchange, you syrup demon."
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. CRAZY RUMOR: Disney to shutdown Marvel comics late 2019 and outsource to IDW
  • Topic Archived