• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Why does writer/artist John Byrne seem to HATE everyone?!?

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
3 years ago#1
Why does writer/artist John Byrne seem to HATE everyone?!?
I think his stuff from the 80's (like his X-men run, Fantastic Four run, Superman run, etc) and his early 90's stuff (like Next Men from DarkHorse) and a bit of his later stuff (the later Next Men stuff from IDW) are GREAT... but he seems to have a HUGE attitude.

Allow me to give examples:

1) John Byrne was so pissed off at Jim Shooter (former editor in Chief at Marvel during most of the 80's) to the point where at a party, John Byrne made a giant pinata where he put a photograph of Jim Shooter's face on it and he BURNED IT WITH FIRE, pretending that it was Jim Shooter. . This story has been verified by several people, one of them being writer Peter David.

2) John Byrne accused Peter David (one of the best Hulk writers ever) of running around a comic convention and giving away xeroxed copies of the ending to one of John Byrne's Alpha Flight comics. Peter David claims that he was never even at the convention and claims Bryne is crazy because there isn't any way he could have gotten those pages from Byrne to begin with.

3) Dave c***rum (former X-men artist..... whose last name is censored for some strange reason) on a message board he co-runs went on public record to say that John Bryne was (quote) "I think personally, he's an arrogant, first-class jerk." (unquote).

Dave then went on to say (quote) "In 2004, while I was in the hospital fighting for my life, Byrne made a crack about my work on his website which really pissed me off--and infuriated my wife so that she banned him from the Dave c***rum tribute book." (unquote)

4) John Byrne flamed Bendis (famous Marvel writer) on the John Byrne site and Byrne found a picture of Bendis on the internet when Bendis was a camp counselor in his early days and Byrne wrote something along the lines of "Bendis: a great camp counselor that became a crappy writer."

5) John Byrne made some such insensitive crack about Joe Quesada (one of the heads of Marvel) going to Florida because Quesada's mom died. This got Byrne banned from Marvel.

6) John Byrne said (days after Chris Reeves death) that Chris Reeves was a ginormous douchebag for spending time/money on a charity/foundation to help cure spinal injury because Reeves wasn't interested in the issue before it affected HIM.

7) John Byrne started a feud with Dan Slott (current Spider-man writer), resulting in Dan Slott going over to John Byrne's website to defend himself against Bryne. Long story short, Byrne types out to Slott that he hopes that Slott "drowns in hobo p****" and banned Slott from his website.

8) Mark Waid (famous comic book writer) HATES John Byrne. Why? Mark Waid had this to say when he went to a convention when he was younger (age 17) to see John Bryne:

(quote) "It led to my first angry meeting with John Byrne; I stood in line at a convention to get his signature on something, I was still a fan, and I had just seen "Superman III" and liked some of the stuff in it, and I mentioned it to John Byrne and it didn't go well. He started screaming at me, and that scarred me for life. I'm just a guy in line! Don't yell at me for liking "Superman III!" Yes, it sucks in retrospect, but I was like 17, I didn't know!" (unquote).

Mark Waid then went on to say that since he picked Jack Kirby as God during Waid's Fantastic Four run, he would choose John Bryne as the DEVIL if given the chance.

John Byrne responded to all of this on his website by saying that Waid is a lier!!! Several of Byrne's SUPER HARDCORE fans then went on to verbally attack Waid on Byrne's site.

There are MORE Byrne stories...
But I am out of room for this post.
2015..... the year of Zzeennoolloo.

User Info: 60fps

60fps
3 years ago#2
All people get into situations like this with others, but many of the guys you listed have also started problems with other talent.

I don't think it's just Bryne. He just doesn't hide how he feels.
Beware of DCeivers:
http://i.imgur.com/4dcd9lJ.png

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
3 years ago#3
60fps posted...
All people get into situations like this with others, but many of the guys you listed have also started problems with other talent.

I don't think it's just Bryne. He just doesn't hide how he feels.

This is true.
For example, I've read that there were a LOT of people who were pissed off with Jim Shooter to the point where several people at the party who were actually HELPING Byrne make and burn the large pinata that had Shooter's face on it.

In regards to the Mark Waid situation, I just read a post from Byrne himself (on his website) where he said that he would actually apologize to Waid if needed, even though he claims that the confrontation with a then 17 year old Waid NEVER happened.
2015..... the year of Zzeennoolloo.

User Info: Dark_Flux

Dark_Flux
3 years ago#4
Youre looking for an answer other than "cos hes crazy"?

The recent dust up with Dan Slott was another great turn for Byrne too.
PSN ID : Dark-Flux2

User Info: Muscle Buster

Muscle Buster
3 years ago#5
Not surprised to read of his douche-y behaviour. Hell, his ridiculous ego is legendary. However, he's still nowhere near Alan Moore levels.
Don't look at me like that, you cretin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4CL4Y2Cx0 / http://tinyurl.com/manxhottie

User Info: Dark_Flux

Dark_Flux
3 years ago#6
Really? Cos despite whatever venom Moore might spew towards superheroes whenever hes approached about the subject if you watch interviews with him he always comes across as quite polite and humorous imo. Surprisingly down to earth even.

Byrne on the otherhand, whilst content to sit quietly in his own corner of the web always comes across as quite rude, stubborn and sometimes outright hostile towards other creators or their work.
PSN ID : Dark-Flux2

User Info: brokenfingers

brokenfingers
3 years ago#7
Dark_Flux posted...
Really? Cos despite whatever venom Moore might spew towards superheroes whenever hes approached about the subject if you watch interviews with him he always comes across as quite polite and humorous imo. Surprisingly down to earth even.

Byrne on the otherhand, whilst content to sit quietly in his own corner of the web always comes across as quite rude, stubborn and sometimes outright hostile towards other creators or their work.

Alan Moore's kind of crazy and stodgy, but his anger always stems from his work. I don't imagine him making snide comments about someone going to see their mom.

User Info: Muscle Buster

Muscle Buster
3 years ago#8
Dark_Flux posted...

That is true. My apologies.
Don't look at me like that, you cretin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4CL4Y2Cx0 / http://tinyurl.com/manxhottie

User Info: 60fps

60fps
3 years ago#9
Dark_Flux posted...

You're seeing what you want. Moore was the one who said today's creators can't come up with their own ideas and have to use his.

The hypocrisy of that statement is pretty obvious, but a lot of people responded saying they were done respecting him. There's also Moore's silly claim that DC didn't respect his rights in regards to Watchmen as if he was owed anything more than what they gave him. He doesn't seem to get he doesn't own what he's worked on
Beware of DCeivers:
http://i.imgur.com/4dcd9lJ.png
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Why does writer/artist John Byrne seem to HATE everyone?!?
  • Topic Archived