• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. why is oswald cobblepot the best character on gotham?*spoilers*

User Info: NightMareBunny

NightMareBunny
4 years ago#1
from him starting out as a weak slimy weasel to turning into a cruel manipulator upon his return to gotham city(after his death at the hands of james gordon....well everyone thinks he's dead)that allows him to somehow walk along dangerous streets without getting killed

he's already risen in power at maroni's restaurant(under a fake name)and was giving gordon help in dealing with the slowly approaching arkham war

but next week might be where cobblepot's luck falls apart(but seeing how easily he was able to stage a heist and then kill the robbers with poisoned pastries i wouldn't count him out just yet)

now what is my question?....why is he the best character?!

this is james gordon's show yet cobblepot seems to be the one pulling the strings and keeping things interesting

did the showrunners do that on purpose or will we slowly start to see Gordon become the fan favorite in due time?

it just baffles the mind that the best character on the show and the fan favorite is also the disgusting vile underhanded villain that's lying through his teeth to survive

you do not make one of the villains more interesting than the main hero....that's backwards logic
PS3 VV_Argost
XB1 GamerClawdeen WiiU: GothicNightmare

User Info: OMEGA RUGAL

OMEGA RUGAL
4 years ago#2
Well the show is called Gotham ... not Jim Gordon or GCPD.

It's suppose to be about Gotham and Penguin's rise is part of it.

Also Breaking Bad as gotten us use to cheering on the bad guys.
PSN & Live & NNID: Loadedklip
Heroes need to win all the time to be remembered. Villains only need to win once

User Info: squirrel_boy

squirrel_boy
4 years ago#3
i dunno. people seemed to like dark knight Joker a lot more than Dark Knight Batman and thats still a great movie

NightMareBunny
4 years ago#4
squirrel_boy posted...
i dunno. people seemed to like dark knight Joker a lot more than Dark Knight Batman and thats still a great movie

i didn't care much for either....to me the nolan films did all they could to remove the fun from the batman series just to make everything over the top gritty and realistic

Not everything Batman has to be Ode To Frank Miller
PS3 VV_Argost

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
4 years ago#5
Gordon just isn't all that interesting. Especially compared to seeing the rise of one of Batman's most powerful foes.

I mean, I don't really care about Jim Godon's problems with his rich lesbian fiancee. And that's really all his story so far has going for him as he doesn't really seem to be investigating the Wayne murder. The entire ploice story is really uninteresting and the crime stories aren't really all that well done compared to other police dramas (which is what Gotham is supposed to be at it's heart).

It's a shame all of the other Batman villains in Gotham are either too young, forced into the story with no real reason or development for them (Catwoman), or woefully underused (Nygma), because I would rather the focus be on them instead of Gordon and Bullock - both of whom IMHO are terribly uninteresting so far.

Penguin is the only villain getting real development and is therefore the most intereesting character. Fish and Maroni and Falcone just feel like archetypes who exist just to set up plot developments. I'd like to see how Poison Ivy is dealing with the wrongful death of her father at Gordon's and Bullock's hands. Maybe it influences who she becomes later?
http://photobucket.com/SDClaims
Cancer free 12 months and counting!

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
4 years ago#6
NightMareBunny posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

i didn't care much for either....to me the nolan films did all they could to remove the fun from the batman series just to make everything over the top gritty and realistic

But Nolan Joker IMHO is pretty much what the Joker has been since Killing Joke - unfunny, gritty, and nihilistic.
http://photobucket.com/SDClaims
Cancer free 12 months and counting!

User Info: TheRealKal-El

TheRealKal-El
4 years ago#7
you do not make one of the villains more interesting than the main hero....that's backwards logic

LOL backwards logic my ass. Literally all villains are almost always the most interesting characters. That's because the actors can really go to town and become unhinged. And since y'know they're not actually evil in real life they are performing at a higher level of acting. (Everybody thinks themselves a hero, nobody thinks themselves a villain.)

Vader
Joker (Romero)
Joker (Nicholson)
Joker (Ledger)
Joker (Hamill)
TDKR Bane
The Osborns in Raimi's Spidey
Loki
Khan in Star Trek
Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber and Sheriff of Nottingham
Charles Dance in Last Action Hero or Game of Thrones.
Gary Oldman in everything that isn't Batman
Clancy Brown as The Kurgan, Lex Luthor or Mr. Krabs.
Lex Luthor in everything.
General Zod
Etc

For action movies and especially superhero movies, the villain is the main selling point of a movie. Usually when the villain is weak the movie suffers from it, but bad movies have been salvaged by interesting villains.

Heck, Mr. Freeze is easily the best part of Batman & Robin!
This is what Ben Affleck thinks of your opinion: http://i.imgur.com/es029Sc.jpg
Marvel Knights? More like Marvel Chippendales: http://i.imgur.com/DpTXzlS.gif

NightMareBunny
4 years ago#8
OMEGA RUGAL posted...
Well the show is called Gotham ... not Jim Gordon or GCPD.

It's suppose to be about Gotham and Penguin's rise is part of it.

Also Breaking Bad as gotten us use to cheering on the bad guys.

meh i just don't see myself cheering for the bad guys too often(mostly because they are just so bad that cheering for them seems wrong...liking them as a villain sure....but wanting them to succeed? eh i wouldn't say that)

i just find it odd that Penguin is taking priority over every other character and before this series nobody would have ever told you "Oh My Favorite Character Was The Penguin!" because he's either treated as a complete joke or a freak that keeps to himself(obsessed with birds)

what's there to really say about him?
PS3 VV_Argost

NightMareBunny
4 years ago#9
ScrappyDingo posted...
NightMareBunny posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

But Nolan Joker IMHO is pretty much what the Joker has been since Killing Joke - unfunny, gritty, and nihilistic.

maybe i just don't like that then....maybe i prefer it when the villains and heroes aren't just stripped away to common murderers thieves and psycho's against cops and uber realistic street heroes

comics are suppose fun we're suppose to embrace the strange and bizarre nature of them...not try to have everything grounded and related to something that happened or someone that existed
PS3 VV_Argost

User Info: MasterFoxCheif3

MasterFoxCheif3
4 years ago#10
I'm confused on how Penguin kills people every episode and yet he's not on anyone's radar. I know he's "dead" but it isn't like he disposes of the dead bodies.

:/
"President of the I Hate Batman Club: He's overpowered without having any superpowers"
http://i.imgur.com/vOMaSRj.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. why is oswald cobblepot the best character on gotham?*spoilers*
  • Topic Archived