• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. What books from 1990-now have/will become valuable/rare?

User Info: CurryFishBall

CurryFishBall
8 years ago#1
Topic basically.
Try some curry fishball today!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oCPCS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/3ZcAd.gif

User Info: StoopKidLivesOn

StoopKidLivesOn
8 years ago#2
Really nothing except maybe a couple of first appearances and some extra rare variants.
Flash fanboy

User Info: CurryFishBall

CurryFishBall
8 years ago#3
Thought as much!
Try some curry fishball today!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oCPCS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/3ZcAd.gif

User Info: Atlantic_City

Atlantic_City
8 years ago#4
I don't think there's ever gonna be a time when 90's comics are valuable. The era of poor quality, over-saturation, and collector fever.
Formerly: * G H O S T * C * TO * C * and * D I N A * R E X *

User Info: colliding

colliding
8 years ago#5
walking dead #1 is basically it

User Info: profDEADPOOL

profDEADPOOL
8 years ago#6
The original Printing of Ultimate Spider-man #1 is appearantly one of the most valuable modern comics.
Official Mienshao of the pokemon B/W and BW2 clans
Comic pull list: UXF, WatX, XML, Avengers Academy, Defenders, Secret Avengers, JLI, and Batwing

User Info: UltraMarcus

UltraMarcus
8 years ago#7
Anything that started ut as being valuable (1/100th varients, etc) will continue to be valuable, but otherwise, not a lot.

Even Walking Dead isn't that valuable.
Yours in professionalism, M-Dawg
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/Ultramarcusaway

User Info: Kamui_333

Kamui_333
8 years ago#8
It's basically a general rule that anything from the 90's is worth about as much as cover price or less.

Even the 80's comics aren't THAT valuable. You have to go before that to get anything worth anything (and those have to be in good condition).

The comics industry in general is not really something you can profit off of. (Unless you're super old and you somehow still have your old copy of Action Comics #1 or something).

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
8 years ago#9
Atlantic_City posted...
I don't think there's ever gonna be a time when 90's comics are valuable. The era of poor quality, over-saturation, and collector fever.

^ NOT all 90's books were bad. Comic's like Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Jeff Smith's Bone, Astro city and SEVERAL other comics were actually really well written during that time. There was actually a LOT more good stuff than bad stuff during the 90's.

However, the bad stuff SOLD more (a LOT more) than the good stuff (EX : Rob Liefeld's Youngblood selling MILLIONS of copies versus something critically acclaimed like Jim Shooter's early Valiant comics SOLAR issues barely selling above 400,000).

Anyway, with a FEW exceptions, most comics from the 90's will never be worth anything. For example, X-men # 1 (with Jim Lee) sold close to 12 million copies. There are so many copies out there, everyone who wants one can easily get a copy. That's why you will always find X-men # 1 in the bargain bins for 50 CENTS.
NOT because it's bad, but because there are close to 12 million copies out there.

While most comics from the 90's didn't sell above 1 million, the majority of them sold HUGE numbers (especially during the early 90's) compared to the sales numbers comics have today (which are rather sad. Many of the lowest selling books from the early 90's actually have higher sales numbers than most of the top ten selling books today).

Anyway, the reason why really old comics (EX : Detective comics #27 - first appearance of Batman) are worth so much is because there are VERY limited copies of them out there today. Most of the original copies were thrown out back then. Most people during the late 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's (and even the 70's to a MUCH smaller degree) didn't think to save their comics. Even if they did, most of their moms threw them out while cleaning. Only a lucky few held on to their comics back then.

Anyway, in the end, It's all economics. Supply and Demand.

You'll find a few 1990's exceptions (like Jeff Smith's Bone # 1 for $130 ), mostly from smaller publishers which had smaller print runs, but they are NOT worth as much as other books from other eras. Books from the 1990's had HUGE print runs, so there are many of them out there. Too many.

Finally, to whoever said Ultimate Spider-man #1, that book (along with the rest of the ultimate line) started in 2000. Ultimate Spidey was never in the 90's.
Anyway, comics from the 2000's and up (in general) will be worth more than the majority of 1990's books, mainly because of MUCH smaller print runs (which do not match the demand for them).

The power of lust is a curious thing. Tougher than diamonds, smooth like cream, stronger and harder than a bad girl's dream.

User Info: profDEADPOOL

profDEADPOOL
8 years ago#10
Finally, to whoever said Ultimate Spider-man #1, that book (along with the rest of the ultimate line) started in 2000. Ultimate Spidey was never in the 90's.
Anyway, comics from the 2000's and up (in general) will be worth more than the majority of 1990's books, mainly because of MUCH smaller print runs (which do not match the heavy demand for them).

The title says 1990 till now dude.
Official Mienshao of the pokemon B/W and BW2 clans
Comic pull list: UXF, WatX, XML, Avengers Academy, Defenders, Secret Avengers, JLI, and Batwing
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. What books from 1990-now have/will become valuable/rare?
  • Topic Archived