• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
  3. As expected, NISA's localization ruins it for me...

User Info: 666Kefka666

666Kefka666
2 weeks ago#1
... or perhaps I only loved Trails so much until now because of XSEED's localization quality...

To make it clear, I do think the localization team at NISA did a solid job compared to the Ys VIII fiasco, there are not many grammar errors or typos and the sentences have a syntactically correct structure. They also use a liberal translation for many lines to emulate XSEED's style. But here start my issues: most of the time it feels forced.

For comparison sake I've re-played the first 30 minutes of Sky FC yesterday (first cut scenes + Rolent NPCs) and there is quite the huge gap in dialogue quality between CS3 and XSEED's translations. How should I put it: dialogue flows more naturally, as if each and every line were "connected"... you know, like a person actually speaks. That made the characters feel so "real" in the first place. NISA tried to do a more liberal translation than what they did with Ys VIII and I give them credit for that, but the lines don't flow as smoothly together. They don't feel as cohesive.

The dialogue in XSEED's loclizations had just so much more personality, even if the Sky games for instance were unvoiced you could "hear" their voices in your head, if that makes any sense. CSIII feels like the localization team just did their job as professional as possible, but it lacks the passion, the extra mile that XSEED went to give every line of text in the games personality.

As a result I started even skimming through some main story lines in CSIII as there was just information conveyed, not much personality. I have never skimmed through dialogue in a Trails game before, not even NPCs.

This makes me very concerned for the future of the series.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: VanilleHopen

VanilleHopen
2 weeks ago#2
but you stan final fantasy VI which had a ton of translation and bug issues? Way more than this game to be quite frank..

Just so we are clear..

Actually that's the main reason I am not a huge fan of FFVI.. I don't find it a big deal in this game at all.
Currently living on Haru's forehead from P5 and I have a huge 20 acre backyard.

666Kefka666
2 weeks ago#3
VanilleHopen posted...
but you stan final fantasy VI which had a ton of translation and bug issues? Way more than this game to be quite frank..

Just so we are clear..

Actually that's the main reason I am not a huge fan of FFVI.. I don't find it a big deal in this game at all.

The Final Fantasy VI localization is 25 years old and was done by one person who did it in a fraction of the time. I don't think this is a fair comparison.

I'm not saying the NISA translation is bad, just that it is not nearly as good as the localizations of XSEED and that ruins it for me.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Someguy1006

Someguy1006
2 weeks ago#4
I think you're being a bit melodramatic about this. I think NISA's translation is good. Characters still act like how they did in CS 1 and 2. The side characters still have some charm.

There's also I haven't reached Gaius yet but so far there's been no characters prattling on about stuff like the wind constantly without reason. Which is an improvement.

Surely there must have been a better translation for his dialogue even if some liberties needed to be taken.

I don't think NISA's translation is necessarily better than XSEED. However, it's nowhere near game ruining.
Holding out for Pikmin 4
Official Young Red Eyes Black Tunic Link
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Ippongi_Ryuta

Ippongi_Ryuta
2 weeks ago#5
There are a couple lines I remember standing out as being awkward and literal, such as Rean's "Oh wow. I'm surprised you're calling me Instructor already."
But most of the time, I forget that the localisation was done by a different company.
Currently Playing: Trails of Cold Steel IV: The End of Saga, Knights in the Nightmare

666Kefka666
2 weeks ago#6
I wish I could be as positive as you. As I said, I think they did a solid job, to me the localization just doesn't have the soul that XSEED's work had. It feels like just a job, not a passion project.

User Info: metalsnake69

metalsnake69
2 weeks ago#7
If only Falcom had unlimited money .....

But to be clear i dont see any problems with the translations. Im used to 80's translations so anything is better than that !

User Info: Azure_lKite

Azure_lKite
2 weeks ago#8
People are actually going to chuck rocks at me for saying this, but having played CS I and II, I'd say I prefer the NISA translation exactly because they are not as liberal. I played the previous games with Japanese voices and a lot of times the difference between what the characters were saying and what was being diplayed was pretty grating.

There were a few weird grammar choices and I think I saw one or two typos, but for a game with a script this size and specially compared to the Ys VIII disaster, I'd say they improved a lot. Hope they can keep up the pace with CS IV.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

666Kefka666
2 weeks ago#9
Azure_lKite posted...
People are actually going to chuck rocks at me for saying this, but having played CS I and II, I'd say I prefer the NISA translation exactly because they are not as liberal. I played the previous games with Japanese voices and a lot of times the difference between what the characters were saying and what was being diplayed was pretty grating.

There were a few weird grammar choices and I think I saw one or two typos, but for a game with a script this size and specially compared to the Ys VIII disaster, I'd say they improved a lot. Hope they can keep up the pace with CS IV.

Nah, no need to throw rocks, your opinion is as valid as anyone's. Actually I was of the same opinion few years ago and I've also played the games with JP voice acting. But having played the Crossbell games over the course of this summer made me realize how much XSEED's localization style means to me. Nowadays I think it was XSEED's localizations that made me fall in love with the franchise in the first place. So playing NISA's Cold Steel III feels alien to me. I just can't really connect with the lines of dialogue emotionally.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: minneyar

minneyar
2 weeks ago#10
You know that NISA hired ex-XSEED employees to work on this, right? The reason it feels like it "emulates" XSEED's style is because it's literally some of the same people. They announced that at the same time as their license announcement at PAX South earlier this year: https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1086323492428136448
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
  3. As expected, NISA's localization ruins it for me...
  • Post New Message