• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Hollow Knight
  3. What should I know as a completionist before I start?

User Info: RestlessCricket

RestlessCricket
1 month ago#1
For example, are there any missables?

Or do I need to make sure I have any and all DLC, updates, etc installed before starting to avoid missing anything?

User Info: Mad_Cartoonist

Mad_Cartoonist
1 month ago#2
There are around three choices (one of them linked to DLC) that give you separate achievement, depending on which one you choose.
As such, you need at the very least two runs through the game to get them.
There are also speed running achievements that you might wanna plan ahead before attempting it.

Other than that, there isn’t any significant missable collectibles as far as I know.

Main game completion is 100%, but with DLC contents, it’s 112%.
Perfecting the game essentially requires you to finish an absolutely brutal boss gauntlet, but that gauntlet thing is a part of DLC.

So yeah, I think that shld be about it.

EDIT:
I want to add that the choices I mentioned, two of them are also linked to 2 super bosses that you COULD miss out if you chose the wrong choice.
Choosing to miss them give you a trophy, so you could save that for subsequent run.
The other choice simply involve an NPC quest line, but there is no collectible or upgrade linked to it, aside from achievement.
President of the Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub. Members: 41
"YOU WILL LISTEN TO MY PLOT ADVANCING LECTURE! GOT IT!?" - Noire
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: RestlessCricket

RestlessCricket
1 month ago#3
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
There are around three choices (one of them linked to DLC) that give you separate achievement, depending on which one you choose.
As such, you need at the very least two runs through the game to get them.
There are also speed running achievements that you might wanna plan ahead before attempting it.

Other than that, there isn’t any significant missable collectibles as far as I know.

Main game completion is 100%, but with DLC contents, it’s 112%.
Perfecting the game essentially requires you to finish an absolutely brutal boss gauntlet, but that gauntlet thing is a part of DLC.

So yeah, I think that shld be about it.

EDIT:
I want to add that the choices I mentioned, two of them are also linked to 2 super bosses that you COULD miss out if you chose the wrong choice.
Choosing to miss them give you a trophy, so you could save that for subsequent run.
The other choice simply involve an NPC quest line, but there is no collectible or upgrade linked to it, aside from achievement.

Thanks! So if I understand correctly, it's impossible to get all the achievements in a single run, but getting 112% is "un-missable". Or can that be made impossible by making the wrong choice?

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
1 month ago#4
None of the branching choices are related to completion percentage, however there are some choices that influence what you have access to in that file. These also all have achievements tied to them, which is why you need to do two playthroughs to get them all.

Since this is one of the few branch choices that's not listed as a secret achievement on the Quests menu, I'll just be up front about this one: Choosing to save Zote or leaving him to die. During your travels you'll find a guy that kinda looks like you in need of some rescuing. You can either save him or ignore him. On your first playthrough I'd recommend saving him, as having him around opens up a good amount of stuff that's unavailable if you leave him to die.

The other big one is how you finish the Grimm Troupe quest. You can either complete the Troupe's ritual, or banish them, with each option giving you something different.
Ritual: When you start this quest, you'll be given the Grimmchild charm. It costs two notches and summons a little demon that attacks things for you. Completing the ritual involves one of the hardest boss fights in the game and fully powers up the Grimmchild.
Banishment: The Troupe will vanish and you'll lose the Grimmchild. However, it will be replaced with a different charm, Carefree Melody. It costs three notches and it randomly blocks damage when you get hit. A friendly accordion player will also appear in town and replace the dreary old music with a jollier version. (You do NOT lose access to the final fight from the Ritual path though! You can challenge the boss in Godhome either way.)
The Troupe also has a character that provides a special service. For an ungodly amount of Geo, she'll replace the three Fragile charms with unbreakable versions. If you banish the Troupe, she goes away too. If you choose to banish the Troupe, you may want to upgrade the three Fragile charms before doing so.

The game has multiple endings, and you can lock yourself out of one of them. (The worst one.) To get the better endings, you need to get a special charm, Voidheart. Once you get this charm, you cannot remove it, and you can no longer get the bad ending. This is noteworthy because there are achievements for each of the endings, so you may want to either get the bad one before getting Voidheart or save it for your second run.

The final one is pretty minor and doesn't actually affect much of anything. When you fully upgrade your Nail, the Nailsmith will request that you kill him with it. You can kill him, which will make his corpse wash up in the waterways somewhere, or you can ignore him and leave. If you spare him you can go back to the Nailmaster in Greenpath, where you will discover that the two of them are now living together.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

Mad_Cartoonist
1 month ago#5
RestlessCricket posted...
Thanks! So if I understand correctly, it's impossible to get all the achievements in a single run, but getting 112% is "un-missable". Or can that be made impossible by making the wrong choice?

As Excalibur mentioned, none of the choices I mentioned will affect the 112% completion on a file; only the achievements and superbosses that will be available in that file.

That being said, it’s worth noting that there is a way to make 112% completion “impossible” to achieve, but it involves doing something extremely specific that no one is likely going to do that by accident.

Just to give you an idea without entirely spoiling all details, there are 3 charms that are breakable upon your death, and have to be repurchased when broken. These charms can be upgraded (so that they won’t break) by leaving it with a certain NPC until you have the required money to buy back the upgraded version.
The completion becomes impossible if you decided to banish that NPC’s boss (banishing the boss is one of those choices I mentioned), while you left a charm with that NPC (the Charm also gets banished out of the game, and you can’t get it back, AFAIK; so your completion percentage from charm collection will be missing).

Excalibur
1 month ago#6
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
Just to give you an idea without entirely spoiling all details, there are 3 charms that are breakable upon your death, and have to be repurchased when broken. These charms can be upgraded (so that they won’t break) by leaving it with a certain NPC until you have the required money to buy back the upgraded version.
The completion becomes impossible if you decided to banish that NPC’s boss (banishing the boss is one of those choices I mentioned), while you left a charm with that NPC (the Charm also gets banished out of the game, and you can’t get it back, AFAIK; so your completion percentage from charm collection will be missing).
False. If you banish the Troupe while Divine still has one of your charms, it will be left on the ground for you to pick up where her tent was.

Mad_Cartoonist
1 month ago#7
Excalibur posted...
False. If you banish the Troupe while Divine still has one of your charms, it will be left on the ground for you to pick up where her tent was.

Really?? O___O
I guess I need to reevaluate my source...

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 month ago#8
What should I know as a completionist before I start?

Buy the map markers when you can and USE them. See a door you can't enter or a platform you can't reach? Mark it on the map...you should have enough to mark mostly anything...and maybe color-code the markers to correspond to the type of barrier...if it's a locked door, mark those silver. For high jumps, use gold, etc. This will be a big help when you get a certain power and don't have any way to go...just head to those markers and start exploring and you'll find they often lead to entirely new areas.

Don't be afraid to get lost. You have to explore everywhere anyway. Don't freak out if you have no clue where you are. Just keep exploring. Also it's nice to get upgrades but anything in this game can be killed at any level and boosts will only help so much...if you're doing well to a boss, just keep trying and you'll be surprised to find you don't need upgrades.

One exception is the Shadow Dash which is awesome and a game-changer for some fights...as is the double-jump. Those can both be big helps if you're struggling with a fight.

And concerning the Banish/Fight option for the Grimm Troupe...don't do the Banish...you miss out on a pretty sweet bossfight.

This applies to the PC/Steam version of the game. The PS4 version has a different set of trophies and they're designed to not be missable and they're all attainable in one run. No speedruns or minimalist runs or anything like that. However, one of those trophies is the Pantheon of Hallownest which is f***ing brutal and one of the toughest trophies you'll see in ANY game.

The Troupe also has a character that provides a special service. For an ungodly amount of Geo, she'll replace the three Fragile charms with unbreakable versions. If you banish the Troupe, she goes away too.

But I'm pretty sure she stays around if you chose the other option and don't banish it and this is the better choice anyway.

Really?? O___O
I guess I need to reevaluate my source...

It could have been something they patched in afterward...

Excalibur
1 month ago#9
Hotel_Security posted...
And concerning the Banish/Fight option for the Grimm Troupe...don't do the Banish...you miss out on a pretty sweet bossfight.
You can still do that fight in Godhome whether you banish them or not.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 month ago#10
You can still do that fight in Godhome whether you banish them or not.

I figured they had patched that in but I wasn't sure. Good to know.
  1. Boards
  2. Hollow Knight
  3. What should I know as a completionist before I start?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A