• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Is there a good place to go to for unit analysis?

User Info: zangatsubankai

zangatsubankai
1 month ago#1
Long story short, I'm really new to the game and having come from FGO, my mindset hasn't adapted to FEH's different design philosophy. Between the skill inheritance system, boon/bane system and a few other options, I'm not sure as to which units are/aren't worth using. The big one being Lief (who pity broke me on the Fallen banners today) and maybe Brave Lyn since Gampress has her rated quite lowly but friends I've talked to really pushed me into picking her over Lucina or Roy.
If that's how it's going to be... I'll snuff them all out! Every last one of your sickening, happy little reasons for living!

User Info: Steamroll

Steamroll
1 month ago#2
zangatsubankai posted...
Long story short, I'm really new to the game and having come from FGO, my mindset hasn't adapted to FEH's different design philosophy. Between the skill inheritance system, boon/bane system and a few other options, I'm not sure as to which units are/aren't worth using. The big one being Lief (who pity broke me on the Fallen banners today) and maybe Brave Lyn since Gampress has her rated quite lowly but friends I've talked to really pushed me into picking her over Lucina or Roy.

Gamepress has her low because in Arena your total score is made up partly with BST (base stat total) and horse/cavalry movement type units have the lowest kind out of the other movement types.

So B!Lyn has something like 146 BST with all her stats added together while an Armour unit has something like 174 - 180 these days.

That ranking really only matters when taking arena into consideration and allegiance battles, which is why your friends recommended her because for general use she can be pretty busted because her stats are geared offensively and can pretty much clear anything.

zangatsubankai
1 month ago#3
Steamroll posted...
zangatsubankai posted...

Gamepress has her low because in Arena your total score is made up partly with BST (base stat total) and horse/cavalry movement type units have the lowest kind out of the other movement types.

So B!Lyn has something like 146 BST with all her stats added together while an Armour unit has something like 174 - 180 these days.

That ranking really only matters when taking arena into consideration and allegiance battles, which is why your friends recommended her because for general use she can be pretty busted because her stats are geared offensively and can pretty much clear anything.

Ahh. That makes sense. Does reinforce my need for a more general "who's good/bad/terrible" list though.
If that's how it's going to be... I'll snuff them all out! Every last one of your sickening, happy little reasons for living!

User Info: ZedTommo

ZedTommo
1 month ago#4
zangatsubankai posted...
Ahh. That makes sense. Does reinforce my need for a more general "who's good/bad/terrible" list though.

No unit is bad. Everyone can be made useful and strong...

Only some are better, pick your faves.
Keaton is MY superior.

User Info: Steamroll

Steamroll
1 month ago#5
ZedTommo posted...
zangatsubankai posted...

Yeah start by looking at your favourites and see what you can work with, if you wanna be competitive then you might have to subject yourself to units you don't even like especially if you don't whale.

You're a FE fan though right? Most units shouldn't be a problem on a personal level... Maybe.

zangatsubankai
1 month ago#6
Steamroll posted...
ZedTommo posted...
zangatsubankai posted...

Yeah start by looking at your favourites and see what you can work with, if you wanna be competitive then you might have to subject yourself to units you don't even like especially if you don't whale.

You're a FE fan though right? Most units shouldn't be a problem on a personal level... Maybe.

Yeah, been playing for over a decade now. I'm super interested in *most* characters. Still have a bit of a grudge against a few but even then I can put that to the side. Good to know that it's entirely possible to use everyone.

User Info: 67chrome

67chrome
1 month ago#7
zangatsubankai posted...
Long story short, I'm really new to the game and having come from FGO, my mindset hasn't adapted to FEH's different design philosophy. Between the skill inheritance system, boon/bane system and a few other options, I'm not sure as to which units are/aren't worth using.

Generally speaking: anyone you feel like bringing to +10 is going to be worth using.
While Fire Emblem Heroes has gone through some gross power-creep lately, just about anyone you want to be good can be good for the vast majority of the games content.
Skill Inheritance also allows a lot of "eh" units to get busted skills and force themselves into being a good unit as well.

That said: Arena and Arena Assault modes give you a score based on:
The stat-total of your units
The SP cost of those unit's skills
So in those modes you should generally look up a unit's base stat total (BST) to see if they're worth using within such scoring systems.
Typically Melee + Armor + Dragon units are going to score the best there, though in-practice most of these units aren't necessarily better than a Bow Cavalier like B!Lyn.

While B!Lyn has terrible BST due to being Ranged, a Cavalry unit, and not-a-dragon: she does have a very solid weapon and skills, tends to always strike first, has a good stat-distribution that allows her to win vs. Mages and she'll always strike first (and probably KO) melee units without taking any damage in retaliation.

The big one being Lief (who pity broke me on the Fallen banners today) and maybe Brave Lyn since Gampress has her rated quite lowly but friends I've talked to really pushed me into picking her over Lucina or Roy.

Leif is OK.
Generally speaking Red Infantry Sword-units have pretty steep competition with one-another considering it's the most common unit type (and most have the same stat-spread/niche of super-speedy and ~eh durability) and Leif is unfortunately not one of the best in the category like B!Celica or Mareeta.

That isn't to say he's useless: being ~20% worse than the front-runners still allows him to do his job admirably enough and he's middle-of-the-road here, so it's not like you pulled the worst unit.

zangatsubankai posted...
Is there a good place to go to for unit analysis?

For Arena/AR scoring:
just looking at a unit's BST in FEH Wiki is all you really need.

For modes like Aether Raids were the game pushes you to use what's actually the best rather than abuse the game's misguided scoring system:
hanging around in these forums can give you a pretty good idea.
A lot of active members here have played from the game's launch/have experienced a lot of what the game has to offer and can guide you in the right direction.

For you're first major projects I'd recommend:

Grab Ethlyn from Grails and 5* her. She's a solid healer for healing and comes with a solid kit.
Healers in FEH are borderline useless at 4* and it can take a while to random a 5*, so you might as well get one ASAP for endurance-modes where they're borderline required.

5* Alfonse, Shareena, and Anna as soon as you're willing too. All 3 are bonus units in most modes and also have quests tied to them (usually killing a foe they have a weapon-triangle/color advantage against).
Granted: all 3 of them still kind of suck at 5*, so this is more for getting rewards/scoring well.

Also ~maybe plan on bringing the following 3 units to +10 status:
Tiki (Adult)
Reinhardt
Sheena

Tiki is still one of the best infantry units in the game.
Reinhardt has awful BST but much like B!Lyn he's an extremely effective unit that can carry you through a lot of hardships.
Sheena scores well in competitive.
All 3 are available in 4* variants and you should get a decent quantity of them through play.

User Info: digitalstarry

digitalstarry
1 month ago#8
Rating units is kinda hard for two big reasons

One is that there’s a lot of modes and not every unit or build is good for that mode. Arena/AB hugely favors BST score optimization with Arena also favoring units with support abilities. Aether Raids favor supertanks or galeforce teams. Abyssals favor glass cannons who can break WTD with dancer backup.

Two is that the effectiveness of a unit can greatly vary depending on what you have in your barracks. Most newer five star exclusives aren’t so bad because they usually have near optimal kits but even then there’s situations like Special Spiral Ophelia being way way better than without it. Anything beyond commonly obtainable SI is a crapshoot.
3DS FC: 0404-6897-6322
Also known as planetarial

User Info: DemiseEnd

DemiseEnd
1 month ago#9
For the most part units power can be situational. Armor can be kinda hard to use in PvE despite usually being Tier 1 in lists since Abyssal enemies can overwhelm them but they can tank quite a lot

On the flipside pretty much all Healers are very stupid strong with the right build in Arena(i guess before Null disrupt) and PvE but theyre almost unanimously rated lowly in tier list

But yeah FEH map factor can be a big deal enough that something like Rabbit reviews cant quite cover everything

Flier is probably the safest unit type out there in the middle line
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it.
3ds fc:3823-9549-3094 - Ice > Fire

User Info: DreadKaiser

DreadKaiser
1 month ago#10
1st Rule of Viability in this game

EVERY UNIT IS USABLE WITH INVESTMENT

2nd, don't trust any tier list beyond as a rough guideline. enough investment can make a low tier unit just as dangerous as the latest powercreep. also different modes have different needs.

example, Armors are a must for anything that uses BST Scoring, but are mostly worthless in any other mode.
The Omnipresent Connoisseur of Quality Fanart and $%!@Posting.
Eternal Champion of the 500 Game
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Is there a good place to go to for unit analysis?
  • Topic Archived