• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Aether raids is objectively the worst mode in this game: an essay

User Info: wheatleyscience

wheatleyscience
1 month ago#1
Aether raids is complete s***. I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone. Now before you say "bruh it's just not brain dead" I'm aware. I'm very aware. I'm someone who has actively been trying to escape t19 for weeks. As I've tried to dig my way out to no avail "just got shlonged by 3 defense teams today so no escaping this week for me!", I've noticed some severe issues with the mode. I'll list them as follows and try to keep it short

1. The mode is unforgiving. For a game that epitomizes the use of trial and error, aether raids seems to relish in the opposite. Especially in later tiers. Have one bad day in your attempted runs? Lmao! Get f***ed boi. Say goodbye to escaping the tier this week. The fact that you cant use an expendable item to restore aether is baffling to me. Especially since every other mode has a way to do it. No, it doesnt make the mode more challenging. No it doesnt weed out the weak. It just brutally punishes failure for the sake of punishing failure. Especially in a format where what you're up against is incredibly inconsistent. Which leads us to 2.....

2. Defense team concept sucks major anus. Unlike in arena, where its implemented fairly well "and by well I mean inoffensive", AR makes it mandatory to have a good and constantly changing team. Your offense run could be immaculate, but if you lose a defense match like twice, you lose your chance to advance. Plus defense structures seem to have a major advantage over your offensive ones. Which leads to.....

3. Its unbalanced. I have a level 4 fortress and heavily upgraded stuff and it doesnt do jack diddly s*** against most defensive structures. I get that you can have multiple attack teams too, but the traps coupled with the wide variety of defense teams makes running any team difficult. Offensive structures should give you more of an edge instead of just being "there". It feels like to me more often than not, that I'm fighting a battle with less cards in my hand than my opponent. In player hands hardly matters after a certain point. My final point is....

4 it's kind of pay to play. I'm someone who is fairly lucky with my pulls so I have managed to pull all the mythical heroes so far. But some people haven't been able to or have wanted to. This effectively shuts people out of an optimized performance week because they didnt have the orbs or were trying to save them. Now I fully understand you can just use Eir on light season, but that doesnt really improve it. "Yeah the mode is accessible every other week for you" like that's absurd.

Well, that's all I have. A bit ranty but I hope I was able to effectively communicate my points. I'm a stubborn bull so I wont be throwing in the towel until I escape t19, but I feel the need to at least vent about how broken it is. IS needs to tweak the mode more because as of now it's a broken and unforgiving mess. I say this as someone who still likes arena and arena assault.
Ign: Atraxerces
Fc: 2251 4391 9081

User Info: JCoconut

JCoconut
1 month ago#2
Didn't read but agree

User Info: DBean

DBean
1 month ago#3
It's just like Arena in that F2P units can get up pretty high, and some can even break through, but I just don't see it as the worst mode in the game.

Used to be Voting Gauntlet for me, now it's more Tap Battle since rewards have been lowered and taken out almost altogether in the last couple of rounds. That said...

The real answer will and always has been Relay Defense, a mode so boring that they shelved it after just a couple of cycles.

User Info: DreadKaiser

DreadKaiser
1 month ago#4
1. The mode is unforgiving. For a game that epitomizes the use of trial and error, aether raids seems to relish in the opposite. Especially in later tiers. Have one bad day in your attempted runs? Lmao! Get f***ed boi. Say goodbye to escaping the tier this week. The fact that you cant use an expendable item to restore aether is baffling to me. Especially since every other mode has a way to do it. No, it doesnt make the mode more challenging. No it doesnt weed out the week. It just brutally punishes failure for the sake of punishing failure. Especially in a format where what you're up against is incredibly inconsistent. Which leads us to 2.....

easy, because that would destroy the point of it's ranking system.
unlike Arena, you can't try again by just throwing Crests at it til you score better. everyone has the same resources, so it comes down to how prepared you are. This means you just need to hit X Score to climb instead of making the top cut every season too. so yes it does punish the weak, bad players don't deserve to advance no matter how many crests they throw at it. you are ultimately being ranked on performance, unlimited retries like Arena would defeat the point and just make it Arena: Mythic Edition.

Not to mention you can just try again next week, using the rest of the "failed" week for trial and error.

2. Defense team concept sucks major anus. Unlike in arena, where its implemented fairly well "and by well I mean inoffensive", AR makes it mandatory to have a good and constantly changing team. Your offense run could be immaculate, but if you lose a defense match like twice, you lose your chance to advance. Plus defense structures seem to have a major advantage over your offensive ones. Which leads to.....

oh boo hoo I have to play the game.
It's not mandatory. even on the climb to 20->21 you only need a single defense win. if you have Yune, you don't even need that and can get complete losses and still climb.

3. Its unbalanced. I have a level 4 fortress and heavily upgraded stuff and it doesnt do jack diddly s*** against most defensive structures. I get that you can have multiple attack teams too, but the traps coupled with the wide variety of defense teams makes running any team difficult. Offensive structures should give you more of an edge instead of just being "there". It feels like to me more often than not, that I'm fighting a battle with less cards in my hand than my opponent. In player hands hardly matters after a certain point. My final point is....

Offensive structures work fine for me. Tactics room lv 2, healing fountain level 2 +whatever school I feel like. they always get me something relevant in a match. Position them better perhaps?

4 it's kind of pay to play. I'm someone who is fairly lucky with my pulls so I have managed to pull all the mythical heroes so far. But some people haven't been able to or have wanted to. This effectively shuts people out of an optimized performance week because they didnt have the orbs or were trying to save them. Now I fully understand you can just use Eir on light season, but that doesnt really improve it. "Yeah the mode is accessible every other week for you" like that's absurd.

Gacha, Gotcha.
The Omnipresent Connoisseur of Quality Fanart and $%!@Posting.
Eternal Champion of the 500 Game

User Info: Meganium7

Meganium7
1 month ago#5
half read but hard agree. it's a complete dumpster fire and is near unsalvageable at this point. and I say this as someone who did break through to 21. there is nothing I dread more during a day than having to do my chore of AR to keep getting the precious resources that are cockblocked behind it.

prepare yourself for a flood of people telling you how amazing it is and that you suck at the game though.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Paiguy
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1094-nihon-falcom-general

User Info: JCoconut

JCoconut
1 month ago#6
Meganium7 posted...
half read but hard agree. it's a complete dumpster fire and is near unsalvageable at this point. and I say this as someone who did break through to 21. there is nothing I dread more during a day than having to do my chore of AR to keep getting the precious resources that are cockblocked behind it.

prepare yourself for a flood of people telling you how amazing it is and that you suck at the game though.

I think the majority hates it. In all tiers.

User Info: DreadKaiser

DreadKaiser
1 month ago#7
JCoconut posted...
Meganium7 posted...

the majority hate absolutely everything in this game, like proper fire emblem fans.
The Omnipresent Connoisseur of Quality Fanart and $%!@Posting.
Eternal Champion of the 500 Game

User Info: BoomChish

BoomChish
1 month ago#8
JCoconut posted...
Meganium7 posted...

Or doesn't really care one way or another.
People are like slinkies: basically useless. And yet it's so amusing to watch them fall down the stairs.
Get off my lawn.

User Info: Aloner

Aloner
1 month ago#9
This is objectively true.

The Arena modes are terrible but you only have to play them once or twice a week.

wheatleyscience posted...

As far as top ranking goes this is 100% fact.

You will get the "hurr durr git gud" people but 90% of the people saying this are running double Eir, in which case no s*** it's easy for them to top rank, they are literally playing on Phoenix mode. Some of us are stuck with just the free one though.
Please understand, Smash Bros. fans: Anyone can make a fake leak.
SmashBurb won the stage bet and was right about the box.

User Info: CortanaTheAI

CortanaTheAI
1 month ago#10
While I agree in finding Aether raids to be the worst, it's hardly objective that it's the worst
Nintendo/Capcom put Megaman battlenetwork 3 on the 3ds VC please!!
Persona 5 is my GOAT
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Aether raids is objectively the worst mode in this game: an essay
  • Topic Archived