• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. "Design-wise, Fire Emblem is in its weird teenage phase"

User Info: StellaLunaris

StellaLunaris
4 weeks ago#1
A friend of mine sent me this interesting thread, seeing I love all things related to things like design.

What do you guys think? Are we leaning toward a Persona 4 or Nomura level of overdesign?

http://arachnofiend.tumblr.com/post/182928503003/old-fe-designs-just-had-a-really-timeless-quality
https://society6.com/redpawdesigns
I draw some stuff, stuff you can stay comfy with.

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
4 weeks ago#2
I like old FE designs a lot, it's what drew me into the series. Seeing the intro sequence of SS where they showed all the arts was part of what sparked my interest back then. Simple yet appealing and colorful designs. Bit of fanservice here and there but none of it was as extreme as recent examples.

But, FE was dying, and IS wanted to make designs that got people's attention instead of looking like generic medieval fantasy. The sales numbers spoke, and that's what they're gonna stick to unless they get proven otherwise.

FEH making sales mostly on the Fates/Awakening cast is a big offender imo. In the end the masses and whales are what fund the games. At least we still get remakes to bring back the old style too.
FGO NA FC 044,292,893

User Info: HirosakiShadow

HirosakiShadow
4 weeks ago#3
Mega_Gardevoir posted...
FEH making sales mostly on the Fates/Awakening cast is a big offender imo. In the end the masses and whales are what fund the games. At least we still get remakes to bring back the old style too.

That's kind of a deceptive way of phrasing that.

The fates/awakening cast make the most money because those are the units that I$ keeps choosing to release again and again.

If they actually bothered to release powercreep units from other games, than those would make money too. But instead they keep putting super plot pivotal villains and fan favorites as mediocre free units and recycling the same tired fates/awakening units for MOAR MONEY.

If you took LAzura exactly as she is now, but instead they had used Tethys or literally any other dancer than people would have whaled just as hard. Probably harder because it would be an actually new unit instead of yet another recycle.
Back in Business

User Info: Darkdragoon324

Darkdragoon324
4 weeks ago#4
How is Persona 4 over-designed? Everyone wears school uniforms like 90% of the game.
"Antagonizing another user by posting about food is disruptive"
- A GameFaqs mod

StellaLunaris
4 weeks ago#5
Darkdragoon324 posted...
How is Persona 4 over-designed? Everyone wears school uniforms like 90% of the game.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the Personas themselves.

User Info: Darkdragoon324

Darkdragoon324
4 weeks ago#6
StellaLunaris posted...
Darkdragoon324 posted...

Nah, Persona 2's main personas are way more than the recent ones. And other than the main party members' Personas, all the other ones are pretty much just the same SMT demons that have always been there.
"Antagonizing another user by posting about food is disruptive"
- A GameFaqs mod

User Info: CortanaTheAI

CortanaTheAI
4 weeks ago#7
StellaLunaris posted...
Darkdragoon324 posted...

Aren't most of the personas though just from past SMT and Persona games? Unless you mean the ones that belong to your party members
Nintendo/Capcom put Megaman battlenetwork 3 on the 3ds VC please!!
Persona 5 is my GOAT

StellaLunaris
4 weeks ago#8
CortanaTheAI posted...
StellaLunaris posted...
Darkdragoon324 posted...

Aren't most of the personas though just from past SMT and Persona games? Unless you mean the ones that belong to your party members

Yes, those ones.

Maybe it's the way P5's style was, but I felt by comparison they were much more coherent from a design perspective.

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
4 weeks ago#9
HirosakiShadow posted...

That's kind of a deceptive way of phrasing that.

The fates/awakening cast make the most money because those are the units that I$ keeps choosing to release again and again.

If they actually bothered to release powercreep units from other games, than those would make money too. But instead they keep putting super plot pivotal villains and fan favorites as mediocre free units and recycling the same tired fates/awakening units for MOAR MONEY.

If you took LAzura exactly as she is now, but instead they had used Tethys or literally any other dancer than people would have whaled just as hard. Probably harder because it would be an actually new unit instead of yet another recycle.

My problem with this approach is that they've been willingly making Fates characters more OP.

Tellius Laguz banner vs Fates beast banner, followed by FE6. Fates didn't get a demote because everyone was disgusting. Then LRoy vs LAzura. They introduced a new blessing/feature to LRoy just to try and "sell" him harder.

Nobody dropped down into 4* from the Adrift banner either.

The bias is very blatant at this point and they show no signs of stopping. I don't think they'd be this biased if they didn't believe there was money in it.
FGO NA FC 044,292,893

User Info: ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene
4 weeks ago#10
Eh.... I'm not really seeing it from the examples presented in that blog post. I see a mix of good and bad designs in both the newer and older games. The same issue often comes up when comparing Pokemon generations- every game has its mix of stars and stinkers.

I don't see an inherent problem in adding new characters who deviate from the older class uniforms. Vanessa just looks like a Plain Jane when you put her next to Cordelia, for example.

I'm not saying the new FE games are immune to dogs*** designs. Everything about Odin makes my eyes and ears bleed, for example. I just think that some of the older FE designs are also pretty forgettable. Seliph is just Marth Version 1.1, for example. The Christmas Cavs in 6 are just paste jobs of Cain and Abel. I keep forgetting that Bord and Cord even existed. Etc.
BREAKING THE ROOOOW, BREAKING THE WUUURLD
KOWASE, KIRISAKE TENDAHNISS
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. "Design-wise, Fire Emblem is in its weird teenage phase"
  • Topic Archived