• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. F2P and Beginners Guide To FEH Arena

User Info: chunkyshtew

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#1
Hi there, and welcome to my guide on the most widely played and discussed game mode in Fire Emblem Heroes - The Arena! This guide is intended for everyone interested in maximizing their score in the arena, and while the information is useful by everyone, it is targeted towards Free to Player (F2P) Players.

Should the arena scoring formula change from the date of writing this guide (October 14, 2018), I will do my best to keep this topic updated accordingly.

1 – Intro

A) Who am I
B) What is Arena

2 – Scoring

A) Ranges
B) Bonus Units and Bonus Unit KO’s
C) Tier Thresholds
D) Calculating (Levels, rarity, BST, SP cost of skills, and merges)
E) Legendary Heroes and Blessing Bonuses

3 – Team Building and Gameplay

A) Setting Goals
B) Analyzing Costs vs Resources
C) Choosing Your Core
D) Putting Your Team to Use

4 – Conclusion

1 – Intro

A) Who am I?

My name is Chunky, and I have been a long-time FE fan since the games North American Release. I have many competitive accolades outside of FE, which is evidence of my desire to always improve and my penchant for competitive ventures.

I started playing FEH about 4 months ago with the goal of summoning a Hector and reaching the highest tier of arena. As of last week I have reached the highest tier of the arena, tier 21 (and also got a few Hectors along the way). I haven’t spent much money on the game, aside from trying to get Brave Lyn merges early on because I was a complete noob, and as of writing this article would consider myself predominately F2P.

B) So what is the Arena?

The Arena is a pseudo-PvP mode against another player's team controlled by the AI. It is the most widely played and discussed game mode in FEH by most users. This guide will be focusing on OFFENSIVE Arena Scoring to improve your rank. If there is enough interest in DEFENSIVE Arena Scoring, I may make a guide for that one day as well, but that is a discussion for another day. You can read about the basics of Arena, including the rewards, tiers, and map rotations here: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Arena
d(^o^)b ~ Please tag me in responses to my posts if you want me to see them!
#GotPringlesBack2014

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#2
2 – Scoring

A) Ranges

When you search for an arena match, you will be given 3 options:

Beginner: This team will have a lower overall score than the player’s and will reward the least amount of points.

Intermediate: This team will have a similar overall score as compared to the player’s team.

Advanced: This team will have a higher overall score than the player's team and will reward the most amount of points.

To achieve the highest scores possible, you will want to chose the advanced option for all of your matches.

An arena run consists of 5 matches total. Say you completed 5 advanced matches with a score of 700 for each match. Your total score will be 700*5 + (bonus unit KO points).

Every time you lose a unit, you will lose 10% of your score for each unit lost for that round. So if your opponent’s score was 700, and you lost unit in the battle, then you will be awarded 700*.9, or 630 points, for that match. This will ruin your score for your arena run, and most users simply quit the match once a unit is lost so that they can start a fresh arena run. The goal then, thus far, is to have a high scoring team and not lose any units during your matches.

The score of your team will determine the range of your opponent’s scores. The range is always a range of 14 points. For example, if the lowest match you could find under the advanced option is 700, then the highest match that you can find is 714. That is where duelling crests come in handy, since often you will find yourself having to use them to re-roll for higher matches in your range, depending on the score that you are trying to achieve for your arena run. Here is an image of the score range for my current team on the arena score calculator (my team is +9 LHector, +10 Sheena, +6 M!Corrin, and a +2 Fjorm as my bonus unit): https://imgur.com/a/tyxX6Qy

B) Bonus Units and Bonus Unit KO’s

Now it’s time to discuss bonus units and the bonus unit KO system, or what some call the ‘babysitter meta’. A bonus unit is one of the units that is featured in the arena and who will double the amount of points that you are able to receive in each of your arena matches. That’s huge! Remember my team range of 732-746 posted above? If I didn’t have a bonus unit on my team there, the highest range of matches I would be able to find is 364-358. Full details on the bonus unit rotation can be found here: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Arena#Arena_Bonus_Heroes

The bonus unit KO’s system is simply this: Every unit that your bonus unit KO’s will grant you an additional 3 points, or a maximum of 60 points per arena run. This change was added in August 2018.

This means that if my team with a scoring range of 732-746 completed every match with 746 points, and I KO’d all the opponents units with my bonus units, then my total score would be 746 * 5 + 60, or 3,790.
#GotPringlesBack2014

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#3
C) Tier Thresholds

So what score do you need to stay in, or to reach, the top tiers in the game? Unfortunately there is no exact answer, as the score thresholds change slightly every week based on a number of factors. You can read the full details on the wiki page (https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Arena#Arena_Tiers), but it doesn’t provide any figures or ways to determine the scoring thresholds.

You can view the prior weeks tier thresholds in the weekly ‘Arena Season’ topic here on Gfaqs, or on Reddit (the link changes weekly so I don’t have anything to post here). Here is a screenshot from this past weeks thresholds: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/281567827754876928/499362336382124045/unknown.png

Using my team as an example, my score of 3,790 is good enough to sit comfortably in tier 20.5 (alternate between tier 20 and 21 every week), and some weeks is even high enough to stay in tier 21. Not too shabby for a team with only 1 +10 unit!

Here is a quick average I took of the last 4 weeks of arena tier scores, which can give you a rough estimate of the team score required to reach your desired tier:

T21: 3,765
T20.5: 3,709
T20: 3,690
T19: 3,601
T18: 3,520

D) Calculating

The formula for how your teams arena score is calculated is as follows:

(Merges *4) + (BST/5) * 2 + (SP cost of skills/100) *2 + (8 if blessing is equipped and active) + 596 = Unit Score

To get your teams scoring range, you will add the score of each of the units together and divide by 4.

This may all seem a bit complex, and I’m going to abbreviate this section by including a link to a video which describes this better than any other video’s I’ve seen on the topic. Feel free to watch this video to get a better understanding of how to maximize your individual unit scores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHdqP1GK17E&t=

Something to note, that the video doesn’t talk about, is the addition of a new A skill that can artificially inflate a units BST for the purpose of arena scoring. There are only 2 in the game currently, but it’s entirely feasible that more will be coming. You can read more about the skill specifically here: https://fireemblem.gamepress.gg/passive-skills/g-duel-infantry-3

Perhaps the most valuable resource in calculating your teams score, which combines all the elements described in this section, is the arena score calculator. Feel free to check it out and run some proposed team compositions through it and see what sorts of changes you can make to improve your teams score: https://www.arcticsilverfox.com/score_calc/

E) Legendary Heroes and Blessing Bonuses

Blessing bonuses are a mechanic that can not only grants your units with the blessings bestowed additional stats, but they can also increase your unit and team score. There is a catch however; you must have a legendary hero on your team that matches the blessing that is bestowed on your unit, and the blessing season must also be active. You can find a full forecast of the upcoming blessing seasons here: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Seasons
#GotPringlesBack2014

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#4
3 – Team Building and Gameplay

A) Setting Goals

I will preface this section by saying that I will mainly be focusing on building an arena core of 3 units, and not really discussing the bonus unit. Bonus units change every 2 weeks, and in my 4 months of playing I haven’t put much investment into them as I have been focusing on my core. If you have to promote a unit to use as a bonus on a week, the Askr trio (Alfonse, Sharena, or Anna) is usually the safest investment since they will be guaranteed to return as a bonus unit in the future. Just be sure to consult the score calculator in section 2-D first to see if it is worthwhile As a new player you’ve got to start somewhere, and your arena core is the most important part, which will be the focus of this section.

The first question to ask yourself, is what tier do you want to reach? Have a look at the score thresholds, and then set out on building a core that will help you reach that threshold and that you will enjoy playing. I have found that most players are content to sit in tier 20.5 (alternating weeks between tier 20 and 21). The 4 week average for tier 20.5 is 3,709, so aiming for 3,720 is quite reasonable. Having a definable goal will give you something to work towards. You’ll never reach a goal if you never set it in the first place!

B) Analyzing Costs vs Resources

There a few ways to build an optimal team that will get you to your desired tier (see scoring requirements in section 2-C) that are worth considering:

Maximum BST and SP scoring, less prioritizing on getting bonus unit KO’s
Moderate BST and SP scoring, high prioritization on getting bonus unit KO’s

There is always the option of spending money to merge a bonus unit to the max every arena season and circumvent the system, but why do that when we already get ~100,000 F2P feathers per month and ~300+ F2P orbs per month (https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Orb_distribution) ? Let’s put those F2P resources to use!

By distributing our feather and orb expenditures wisely when building our team, we can reach our goal much more quickly then if we were to rely on one resource over the other.

First, we’ve got our monthly feathers. Those will be our only way to promote 3-4* units into 5* units, and also a great resource in promoting units to inherit skills if necessary. Our monthly orbs are the only way to get us Legendary Heroes (should we want them), exclusive 5* units (either for merging or for fodder), and summoning more 3-4* merges for units in our arena core.

For myself, I dedicated my orbs to saving for Legendary Hector. Not only did I always want a Hector, but L!Hector has the second highest scoring BST in the game (175 BST) and can bestow my team with fire blessings during fire season to increase my score.

With my feathers, I prioritized a high scoring armored unit (Sheena) and a strong support unit (M!Corrin). By summoning for L!Hector on his legendary banners, I was easily able plentiful merges for Sheena. For my M!Corrin merges, I would summon reds on the same Legendary Banners that L!Hector was featured on. Thus, I was able to efficiently balance my orb and feather spending to get my team ready for arena as quickly as possible.
#GotPringlesBack2014
(message deleted)

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#6
C) Choosing your core

I’ll start off with an interesting fact:

A +4 L!Hector with maximum scoring skills giving fire blessing to his teammates outscores a +10 Soren/Caeda/etc. with maximum SP skills and the 170 BST boosting A skill (aka the highest scoring 3*-4* unit in the game). When it’s not fire season, then L!Hector is still the second highest scoring unit in the game at 175 BST. If you’re going to save your orbs for a highly merged 5* exclusive unit, and focus your feathers on a couple 3-4* units, then Legendary Hero’s such as L!Hector or L!Tiki are phenomenal candidates.

The reason most F2P players don’t consider Legendary Heroes when planning their arena core is because they are afraid of the pull rates on Legendary Banners. This is true for the most part, but there are many factors such as better pity breakers, exclusive or seasonal units or skill fodder, and higher overall 5* pull rates. It’s also worth noting that the average number of orbs to pull L!Hector on a Legendary Banner is 172, whereas the number of orbs to pull a H!Myrhh (180 BST unit in the red summoning pool) is 179 on her Halloween Banner. So sniping isn’t always worse on a Legendary Banner.

Anyways, though I really value having the benefit of a Legendary Hero on my arena core, I recognize that this may not be for everyone. It requires dedicated orb saving, and I know some players may simply prefer to spend their orbs wherever and whenever they please. While Legendary Heroes do offer your team a higher score ceiling, you can still comfortably reside in tier 20.5 without them. You will also be able to stay in tier 21, however it will require the use of dueling crests every week to maintain this.

So now that we’ve talked about Legendary Hero’s, let’s talk about the rest of your teams core options. If you want to maximize your bonus unit KO’s, then a support unit such as M!Corrin with his Yato refine is the current best unit for this role. Other options include Tactics supporters such as Titania (though be aware that panic ploy is more common at high arena tiers and can make tactics buffs more difficult to use effectively), or Marth, who provides similar support to the bonus unit and all other allies within 2 spaces, though he only gives +2 to all stats as opposed to the +4 to all stats provided by Yato.

High scoring BST units include 5* locked units with 175-180 BST, but thanks to the Duel A skills there are now more options with high scoring BST in the 3-4* summoning pool. Previously, only Sheena and Gwendolyn with a speed boon and the correct bane, were the only 170 BST units in the 3-4* pool, but that is no longer the case. Here is the current BST scoring ‘tier’ list: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Arena_score_tier_list

Remember, while BST is important to consider when planning your core, the biggest and easiest boost to your arena score comes from merges and Skills (see section 2-D).

Lastly, you need to consider what skills and weapons you would like on your units to best support the bonus unit. In the current ‘babysitter’ meta you will usually see units with supportive skills. If your goal or strategy is to not worry about getting KO’s with the bonus unit then you can forgo this, just know that you will be loosing scoring potential.

In my core of L!Hector, M!Corrin, and Sheena, I gave Chill Defense to my L!Hector, Panic Ploy to my Sheena, and a drive seal to M!Corrin. I plan to give my Sheena the Hagoita axe one day and a drive skill when I have the fodder. When planning your team it may be helpful to run some numbers in a damage calculator, by doing this I found that having a debuffer such as F!Corrin on my team was unnecessary, and that Chill Defense was necessary to help my bonus units consistently break the weapon triangle: https://kagerochart.com/damage-calc
#GotPringlesBack2014

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#7
D) Putting your team to use

If you’d like to give your bonus unit +4 to all of their stats and +5 HP, then make sure that you give them both summoner support and ally support with another unit on your core. This only takes a few minutes of your time every arena rotation and will greatly improve your bonus unit’s performance. You can read more about ally and summoner support here: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ally_Support

Since your team has a range of scores that it can find when searching for a match, you may need to try searching for a new match with a higher score to reach your goals. This will cost you duelling crests if you want to search for more than 3 matches in a day. This is another resource to consider, since while the game is generous with them, you really can’t afford to be spending 50 of them every week to stay in a certain tier.

It’s important to evaluate the thresholds for a certain week and decide if it is worth searching for higher score ranges or not. This is partially why tier 19.5 or tier 20.5 are very popular tiers, one week you can spend crests if you require them to advance into the next tier, and the next week you don’t have to worry about your score range since you will be demoted, and can conserve your crests for future weeks.

There is a handy guide stickied right here on Gfaqs that discusses how the AI operates. It’s actually much easier to manipulate than one might think. Use this to your advantage to split up the enemy team and take favourable engagements. I could add many more small tips like these but I’ll leave those up for discussion in the comments section.

4 – Conclusion

Thank you for taking the time to read my arena Guide. I hope that it has helped provide some insight into how to maximize your performance and enjoyment of the arena game mode.

Let’s use the comments section of this post to continue to discuss tips and strategies to help F2P and new players alike. I look forward to seeing everyone around and discussing all of these tips further. Feel free to share your thoughts or any questions that you may have. Thanks for reading!!

PRO TIP – Don’t take everything someone says, even myself, as the be-all and end-all. Consider what people have said, but also do your own research before spending your resources.
#GotPringlesBack2014

User Info: Renkencen

Renkencen
11 months ago#8
Do you think you can also add a guide on the Arena defence?
I can never quite understand why I get no score what so ever. Obviously it has to do with my team not winning I'm guessing and if so, what ways can I improving it?

chunkyshtew
11 months ago#9
Renkencen posted...
Do you think you can also add a guide on the Arena defence?
I can never quite understand why I get no score what so ever. Obviously it has to do with my team not winning I'm guessing and if so, what ways can I improving it?

Let's see how well this guide goes over, but yes I can most likely do something like that if there is interest.

If you appreciated this guide then please Sticky request! Thanks Ren!
#GotPringlesBack2014

User Info: vermillion_wolf

vermillion_wolf
11 months ago#10
Requested for sticky.
Anxiety sucks.
FEH ID: 9039533298, Lead: https://i.imgtc.com/5B1q7TN.png
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. F2P and Beginners Guide To FEH Arena
  • Post New Message