Arena Defense: Better to use strong units, or merged units?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Arena Defense: Better to use strong units, or merged units?

User Info: SirRobX

SirRobX
4 weeks ago#1
Arena Defense: Better to use strong units, or merged units? - Results (56 votes)
Better to use strong units with low merges
46.43% (26 votes)
Better to use weak units with high merges
53.57% (30 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I sorta flip flop between the two since I don't know which is better to get arena defense wins.
NNID: SirRobX / 3DS: 3394-4061-9856 / Switch: SW-0894-5811-1700
Pokemon GO: 8973-4950-4215 / Fire Emblem Heroes: 193-150-4677

User Info: akaean

akaean
4 weeks ago#2
In my opinion, getting arena defense wins is a numbers game- your team has to be picked in order to be played against. A team that is really hard to beat, but never gets picked... will probably not give you any defense wins.

Remember, that when you are playing Arena Offense, you are typically playing Advanced Matches. This is because they give the most score, which means more rewards at the end of the week. If you don't care enough about Arena to play advanced matches, you probably aren't playing Arena at all. The reason you want to put your highest merged units forwards as your arena defense team is because that team is *more* likely to show up on somebody's advanced list... which means your team is more likely to be picked, and thus more likely to win (you can't win if you don't play after all).

There is also another factor at play here. Many players will surrender a match they would have won if your defense team kills a unit. These are almost exclusively players who are trying to get a good score or rank up. AKA tier 19+ players. And if you are at a point where a death is a surrender to restart the streak... chances are you are ONLY picking advanced matches. For a defense team, it is much more reasonable to defeat a single enemy model than it is to defeat an entire team. So its almost easier to get wins vs higher tier players. But you need a healthy amount of merges to show up on a T18+ player's advanced selector. The higher you go the more people care about every single point. Indeed if you can manage to show up in a high end T20 player's list... they may surrender if they *accidentally* kill one of your units with their non bonus. Lower arena tiers are much less competitive, so players don't really care if a non bonus unit gets a kill or if they lose a unit or two. This makes them more likely to fight to the bitter end and often win for the following reason...

The AI is dumb as hell. Which is why you want to give your team every advantage. Even if the team has a "lower" win percentage (which is difficult to gage), it may still get more defense wins (including a single defense win) if it is picked significantly more often.

If you want to know the sweet spot for Arena Defense, it is fully merged cavalry teams. These tend to show up in the advanced slot for medium merged armor units. Its still a very tough matchup to defeat +10 Rein, +10 Lyn/Veronica, and another +10 horse, with fledgling armors who only have a few merges under their belt.
I project in metaphor, words I have no use for.
Visions strong and true and clear. I am blind and cannot hear.

User Info: Benzie

Benzie
4 weeks ago#3
You have to score high to be matched against high rank players that will forfeit the match if an unit dies. If you do not score high / get matched vs lower ranks it is very unlikely that you will sweep their entire team, and they probably won't surrender if they lose an unit because they dont care / it doesnt matter.

User Info: Rhysaen

Rhysaen
4 weeks ago#4
akaean posted...
In my opinion, getting arena defense wins is a numbers game- your team has to be picked in order to be played against. A team that is really hard to beat, but never gets picked... will probably not give you any defense wins.

Remember, that when you are playing Arena Offense, you are typically playing Advanced Matches. This is because they give the most score, which means more rewards at the end of the week. If you don't care enough about Arena to play advanced matches, you probably aren't playing Arena at all. The reason you want to put your highest merged units forwards as your arena defense team is because that team is *more* likely to show up on somebody's advanced list... which means your team is more likely to be picked, and thus more likely to win (you can't win if you don't play after all).

There is also another factor at play here. Many players will surrender a match they would have won if your defense team kills a unit. These are almost exclusively players who are trying to get a good score or rank up. AKA tier 19+ players. And if you are at a point where a death is a surrender to restart the streak... chances are you are ONLY picking advanced matches. For a defense team, it is much more reasonable to defeat a single enemy model than it is to defeat an entire team. So its almost easier to get wins vs higher tier players. But you need a healthy amount of merges to show up on a T18+ player's advanced selector. The higher you go the more people care about every single point. Indeed if you can manage to show up in a high end T20 player's list... they may surrender if they *accidentally* kill one of your units with their non bonus. Lower arena tiers are much less competitive, so players don't really care if a non bonus unit gets a kill or if they lose a unit or two. This makes them more likely to fight to the bitter end and often win for the following reason...

The AI is dumb as hell. Which is why you want to give your team every advantage. Even if the team has a "lower" win percentage (which is difficult to gage), it may still get more defense wins (including a single defense win) if it is picked significantly more often.

If you want to know the sweet spot for Arena Defense, it is fully merged cavalry teams. These tend to show up in the advanced slot for medium merged armor units. Its still a very tough matchup to defeat +10 Rein, +10 Lyn/Veronica, and another +10 horse, with fledgling armors who only have a few merges under their belt.

This was a brilliant account of the issues at stake. Impressive.
FEH ID: 7107240044
One of the few mad people actively aiming to +10 Merric http://imgur.com/tavfdQj

User Info: SirRobX

SirRobX
4 weeks ago#5
So I have to score high, but if the units I'm using aren't high damage units, should I expect to get wins despite that? Right now my arena defense team is a neutral Caeda, a +Spd Sheena, L.Ephraim and Anna. Two low damage units, a horse without emblem buffs, and an Askr unit. They're most likely not at the scoring threshold necessary to face most arena players as of right now (16 merges between them), but assuming they had more merges on them, would a team like that get arena wins? Or would I be better off using my Reinhardt and Veronica?
NNID: SirRobX / 3DS: 3394-4061-9856 / Switch: SW-0894-5811-1700
Pokemon GO: 8973-4950-4215 / Fire Emblem Heroes: 193-150-4677

User Info: hell_tanuki

hell_tanuki
4 weeks ago#6
All I know is I'm getting many defense wins easily each week now that I use highly merged units, whereas I struggled getting any with unmerged units, even with an unpredictable offensive team (Guidance, Aerobatics, Dancer and multiple Goad/Drive effects).

User Info: DullahansXMark

DullahansXMark
4 weeks ago#7
Personally, I run DC/Vantage Swordhardt, a bonus unit, and some level 1 dancers as my defense team, and I'm drowning in wins every week. The highest tier of defense wins, at that.

Just have one unit that could easily sweep up a noob's entire team solo and then the backup necessary to get said unit in their score range. Easy stuff.
The official Michalis Man of the FE Heroes Boards: https://i.imgur.com/r5WkwVz.png
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUpprLrFvNWXw6PdJMdCt2g |

User Info: Meganium7

Meganium7
4 weeks ago#8
you need merges on the team or nobody will fight it in the first place

though I swap between both styles all the time in a vain attempt to get any defense wins at all and rarely even get one
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Paiguy
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1094-nihon-falcom-general

User Info: BasedKira

BasedKira
4 weeks ago#9
get score booster units, put reposition on them,plonk veronica and dancer in team and end up in 720+ .

Easy wins,guaranteed. The huge IQ post from akaean also applies
Nice
FEH 5323156358 - BasedKiraMK2

User Info: lameson

lameson
4 weeks ago#10
I run bonus askr, unmerged armor and 2 +10 dragons. It works.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Heroes
  3. Arena Defense: Better to use strong units, or merged units?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived